Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:19 PM

240 posts, read 1,265,335 times

Advertisements

Do you think New York City will ever host the summer olympic games?? Why or why not???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Let's hope not! I thought it was the best news in a long time when New York got turned down for the 2012 Olympics. We don't need the expense (Montreal just finished paying off their debt from the '76 Games--it only took them 32 years!) And let's face it, all the construction that takes place for the Olympics rarely benefits anyone; it's mostly temporary stuff.

Besides, when you get right down to it, there's always the matter of prestige. New York City does not need anything the Olympics could possibly provide. The city does not lose its world-class status just because it doesn't host the Olympics. Anyone who wants it can have it. We don't need it.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 PM

218 posts, read 741,536 times
As much as I would love for NYC to host the games, just as a matter of civic pride, I am really just as happy that it got turned down for 2012. NYC does not need the hassle that all of the Olympic construction and traffic would impose upon the city. NYC is full of people already, and already has the most tourist traffic of any US city... the Olympics wouldn't really add that much to it, in the long-run. So, yeah, it would make me proud as a New Yorker to say that NYC hosted the games... but I can just as easily live without it.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 PM

197 posts, read 895,245 times
No. Preparing for the Olympics involves lots of construction, road closings, traffic delays, and when the Olympics are actually going on there are way too many road closures, canceled bus routes etc. So I think the majority of NYers would be against. Except of course the airlines, hotel, restaurant, and car rental industries would love to have the Olympics in NY due to the huge increase in themoney they would make.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
The only city I know of that didn't lose money was Los Angeles for the 1984 Olympics. The venues were mostly in place allready to host the events. We still use them today. It was a second act for LA as they hosted it in 1932. One trivial tidbit, China returned to the Olympics in 1984 after a 52 year absence from participating. The former LA olympics were their last up that time. It is not the best use of your resources if you can get away from it, unless you are like LA and have ready built venues.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Default What I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The only city I know of that didn't lose money was Los Angeles for the 1984 Olympics. The venues were mostly in place allready to host the events. We still use them today. It was a second act for LA as they hosted it in 1932. One trivial tidbit, China returned to the Olympics in 1984 after a 52 year absence from participating. The former LA olympics were their last up that time. It is not the best use of your resources if you can get away from it, unless you are like LA and have ready built venues.
The city of NY already has built venues for the olymics, however we just got to becareful where to hose these venues at? IF NYC was to ever hose the olympics, please do not host no venues on the borough of manhattan it would be a huge lag and time suck for people to wait in congested trains and roads to get to certain events. Possibly MSG can be used for gymnastics and boxing events but thats it. MY best bet is for the the olympic games in nyc to be held in the outer boroughs like queens and brooklyn. For the most part there is citi field which can be used for the main olympic stadium and then there is arthur ash stadium which can be used for tennis, THe lake in flushing park can be using for rowing tornements. If the Atlantic railyard project goes through then the new nets arena can be used for basketball and other events. All the city has to do is build an olympic village and an aquatic zone either in brooklyn or queens and everything should be good. THe NY mets will play at yankee stadium during citis field conversion. So its a win win for the outer boroughs. I blame bloomberg for not trying hard to garnish enough support for a NYC olympics in 2012. I hope someday NYC host the olympics, I hope us olympic committee picks nyc for either 2020 or but even better 2024 since 2020 might be back in europe or asia or in africa for the first time most notably south africa b/c of 2010 world cup.

Just my 2cents.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:38 AM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times
No, we lost the olympic games because we have tons of problems here that need to be taken care of before we could host it. For one, we'd need to vastly improve our transportation, maybe even link Metro North an the LIRR (a dream of mine really) to speed transportation between boroughs, we'd need that 2nd ave. line completed as well as an extension to the 7, we'd need more trains, and we'd have to rework much of the Lexington Avenue trains (the 4 and 5 in particular) in both Brooklyn and Manhattan, you'd have to clean up the Hudson River, you'd have to have the city invest in the Olympics rather than Bloomberg's plan to get private companies to subsidize the Olympics (which they won't because everyone knows that the Olympics is a money pit to host), and you would have to host most of the olymics outside of Manhattan since Manhattan doesn't have the space for it, and then you'd basically have those stadiums built sit empty for years to come until someone decides to tear it down.

In short, I can't imagine NYC getting the Olympics for quite some time. Not until the city and state governments are out of deficit, and have large amounts of cash sitting for improvement. One could only imagine the horror that would have been 2012 NYC when the economy went flat and the city would have then been held to tens of billions of dollars worth of construction.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:00 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
If if does happen we should do what London is doing, i.e., revitalizing an industrial area on the edge of the city. Building a massive stadium in the middle of Manhattan is ridiculous.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:33 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
If the Olympics itself survives and goes on for decades, even hundreds of years, then yah, eventually it will come to NYC.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:55 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
No. Maybe a cooperative tri-state effort that will have the New York name. maybe. But NYC by itself would not be able to host the olympics. As it stands we don't have the facilities and we don't have the space (well we do in the outer boroughs, but people wouldn't be thrilled with it being used for the olympics) to build more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City