Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
No, that's incorrect. The modern Greek word is 'guros' which is derived from ancient Greek 'gūros' which means circle, which is related to the turning of the lamb on the spit.
Well, your version is also correct... in THIS regard, the problem can be akin to the American "some say "po-tay-to", some say "po-tah-to" thing... it's a matter of the individual's accent speaking the word. The point is, to pronounce it "jye-ro" is simply wrong, in every regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
Well, your version is also correct... in THIS regard, the problem can be akin to the American "some say "po-tay-to", some say "po-tah-to" thing... it's a matter of the individual's accent speaking the word. The point is, to pronounce it "jye-ro" is simply wrong, in every regard.
No - the gamma in Greek CAN be like a hard 'G' in English, but it can also be pronounced like the 'ng' in 'sing' - thus 'yee-roh.'

Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM

183 posts, read 801,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
And nobody has mucked up the beauty of the Italian language more than the Italian Americans themselves by lazily dropping vowels at the end of words like the A in mozzarella( mozzarell) and in Ricotta(rigott) or pronouncing terracotta as terra codder or terra code a instead of terra coat ta .
I can't speak about the Greek, but I have taught Italian for two universities here in the States...

There are some dialects of the language, particularly those of the southern regions, that often drop the vowel at the end of a word. It isn't the universally spoken Italian, though...just dialects. Most Italian-American families have roots in the regions south of Rome and the dialects and pronunciation of words like mozzarella and ricotta are passed down. We often hear things like "mozzarell" and "rigott" because that is actually how they are pronounced in some of the dialects of Italian that Italian-Americans speak or have been exposed to via their families.

I agree that we butcher foreign languages, though.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:15 PM

375 posts, read 1,575,832 times
Funny discussion. I say "Jie-Ro" even though I know that's not correct, because I don't want to try to say it the "Greek" way and not say it right. So I keep safe and just say it the "American" way.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:28 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Default It never fails

When I ask for a "yee-ro" they say, oh, you want a "gy-ro".

And, vice versa.

I could care less as long as they give me plenty of yogurt sauce.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
...can pronounce "gyro" (as in the Greek food)?

For a city that is so international and so diverse, I'm just in total shock that even the Greeks here seem to pronounce it "JI-ro."

I wouldn't have thought it a big deal, but I've just been incorrectly "corrected" for the third time.

We're not talking about a bizarre or unpopular dish that just made it to America here people.
This is funny as it reminds of how many Italian-Americans incorrectly correct you for saying the correct original Italian pronunciation of many popular food items or dishes such as Mozzarella. I would guess that the origins of this unfortunately are due to the Americanized or should I say Noo Yowk version of the word becoming the accepted standard. If I walked into most pizza spots or went to a halal cart and ordered a "yeer-oh" I would get a blank stare or I would be "corrected."

Old 10-08-2009, 04:11 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
...can pronounce "gyro" (as in the Greek food)?

For a city that is so international and so diverse, I'm just in total shock that even the Greeks here seem to pronounce it "JI-ro."

I wouldn't have thought it a big deal, but I've just been incorrectly "corrected" for the third time.

We're not talking about a bizarre or unpopular dish that just made it to America here people.
Because it's popular enough that it's also now an English word with its own pronunciation.

Just like how we say "cal-zone" and not "cal-zone-eh." It's not incorrect, you're just speaking English not Italian.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,972,223 times
So let me get this right. If enough people do something incorrectly, it becomes correct? What awesome logic.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:30 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
So let me get this right. If enough people do something incorrectly, it becomes correct? What awesome logic.
Yes unfortunately that is the case. While something might not be logically correct, it will become accepted or the standard if most people believe it to be correct. A lot of things in the world are like this if you take a closer look.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Well I both agree and disagree....

For one thing, there is such a thing as a loan-word. The French say "le weekend." But they don't say WEEKend like we do. They say weeKEND. Is that wrong? I'd say no... because it is now a French word, not just an English word. Same with calzone or gyro. They are now English words too.

Then on the other hand, when people do bad grammar things and I get corrected for saying it right I get pissed ("Marsha was mean to Adam and me" ALWAYS gets corrected even though it's right). :-/

So I guess people Anglicizing foreign words just doesn't bother me because it's a natural part of language and ALL languages do it. But people proposing that the rigid rules of grammar should change does anger me. Aren't I such a walking contradiction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City