U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2009, 05:14 PM

9 posts, read 40,331 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm not new to manhattan i've lived on st marks and i've lived on 63rd and 3rd.. I am now considering moving to 95th & 3rd but i hear mixed things about the area.

I hear a girl cant walk around at night without being harassed.
The building I feel safe in but I want to feel safe at the subway and around the area.

Does anyone have any experience with the area to put me at ease? (Just just the typical "be street smart" haha)

Thank you everyone in advance for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 05:15 PM

468 posts, read 1,571,163 times
I've never lived on the UES but know people in that area and have been around late at night many times walking back to the subway at 96... I'd never consider that area to be unsafe, although it is a little more desolate than blocks further south.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
I've never lived on the UES but know people in that area and have been around late at night many times walking back to the subway at 96... I'd never consider that area to be unsafe, although it is a little more desolate than blocks further south.
I've walked up to 90th st on 2nd ave before after eating dinner finishing at like 12pm seemed find but i heard going anywhere above that gets dodgy.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,330 times
That's a pretty good area and is safe. My brother goes to school around there.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:26 PM

11 posts, read 7,075 times
my father has a business around there i guess it's an okay area seems fairly safe, every once in awhile there are car thefts and violence but its relatively safe, just mind your own business and you will be fine.

don't wander around too late, watch where you park your car(if you have one), keep a cell phone with you at all times, and watch your surroundings you will surely be fine, i've seen worse places.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-12-2009 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: No promoting businesses

Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebacon View Post
i've seen worse places.
Comforting lol

Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM

468 posts, read 1,571,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebacon View Post
keep a cell phone with you at all times
Off-topic, but I've seen this suggestion before and am confused by it...

I'm not saying I don't carry my cell phone with me at all times (I do), but I don't think doing so makes me safer. I can't imagine a situation where having a cell phone on me would make me less likely to be victimized. In fact, when I was living in Baltimore, my roommate was mugged while walking down an alley late at night talking on his cell phone. Because he was on the phone he didn't see/hear the kid come from behind and hit him in the back of the head with a bat. If he weren't on his phone I think he would have been less likely to have been mugged, both because the mugger would be less likely to see something of value to take, and because he would have been more alert to his surroundings.

I'm somewhat cool to the idea that picking up your phone and calling somebody because you feel in danger is an affective strategy... when my roommate was hit, his phone fell to the ground, and the person he was talking to assumed his battery died or he lost signal. Even if he would have known he was mugged, by the time the person on the other end called 911, the crime would have been over with (and it's not like they would have been able to provide much information either)... I think it's safer to not talk on your cell phone, don't take short cuts through desolate/unlit areas, stick to busy streets, and be alert to your surroundings.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 PM

910 posts, read 1,872,739 times
One of my female friends lives on Lexington and 95th, she comes home late quite a bit and never has had problems and feels completely safe. It is somewhat desolate late compared with points lower but cabs are everywhere if you don't want to take the subway(6 train). Maybe it helps that she lives in a doorman building and is 6 feet tall, lol. As always, uses common sense and be aware of your surroundings at all times ANYWHERE!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
One of my female friends lives on Lexington and 95th, she comes home late quite a bit and never has had problems and feels completely safe. It is somewhat desolate late compared with points lower but cabs are everywhere if you don't want to take the subway(6 train). Maybe it helps that she lives in a doorman building and is 6 feet tall, lol. As always, uses common sense and be aware of your surroundings at all times ANYWHERE!
The building im choosing is a doorman building
She takes the train to 96th st? The 6?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 PM

910 posts, read 1,872,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparked View Post
The building im choosing is a doorman building
She takes the train to 96th st? The 6?
She usually walks one block to 96th and Lexington and takes the 6 or when she really wants to, walks the other way down to 86th and Lexington(15 min walk or so) to take the 4/5 express train. I'm not sure where you work but if you work pretty far south(past midtown), I would take the 4/5 express to 86th, walk upstairs and then take the 6 up to 96th since the weather is getting cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City