Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 08:47 PM

102 posts, read 310,268 times

Advertisements

Im looking to leave Florida and Stay in NYC for maybe a year or so to see if I like it. I make a living online which varies, but I am always garuanteed to make $2000 a month. I'm selling my car, I won't be bringing that with me. Can anyone give me any insight on Community Colleges in NYC and places to live as a student?

Sorry for the broad question but NYC is such a huge city and whenever I try to research for myself I am overwhelmed. Also, there are a lot of New Yorkers down here in Orlando who swear that NYC is so though and its a rough life there, I know they are just gassing themselves up, but I know there are rough parts to avoid as a young, hipster, college type. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:31 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
The CUNY system has 23 colleges/institutions in NYC. See Welcome to CUNY - The City University of New York .

Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 PM

62 posts, read 252,962 times
It's ironic that you came on here for the same things as me. I live in Florida( Jacksonville) and was thinking of moving to Orlando to get that real college experience at UCF. However I've always wanted to move to NYC ever since I was a kid watching Hey Arnold lol. I became infatuated with moving there and expected to this year but it didn't happen to due various reasons. I enrolled back in community college here in Jax and got back on my daily grind. We get so caught up in our everyday things that we get on auto pilot. As of recently though my I-LOVE-NY heart picked up its beat again and I now have the urge to move to the big city . I want to to take a trip up there to get a feel, but im contemplating if this is what I want though. I look at the good things I can have here (car, my own apt, real college at a cheap price in a states that ever ny'er want to move to ) and sacrifice them to start over again from scratch with a extremely different environment. That is the beauty of it though, making something from nothing.

As for community colleges, BMCC in Lower Manhattan and Laguardia in Queens are supposed to be the best. There are only a few student dorms in the city , at City College Towers in Harlem and the others spread out through a company called EHS. City college is the only one that is relatively affordable in NYC with rates starting at about 1000 a month. EHS is like 1500-3000 or something like that. Then theres renting out rooms via craigslist and such which im little scared to do since this is my first time moving out and NY is the epicenter of wierd people. Oh and, I sent you a pm so go read it

Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM

93 posts, read 307,954 times
I applied to LaGuardia cc (part of the CUNY system) for this semester (scholarship payments fell through, so i am waiting it out a semester)

its a good school, although mad beaucratic. For in-state residence, i hadn't lived in nyc but a year (grew up in Seattle), and I got it, with my W-2s proving that I worked here for a year

cheap, my bill for the semester was 1700ish

Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 PM

^ so how do scholarship payments work? I hope to have my gpa in the 3.0-3.3 range by the end of 09-10 so i'm going to start applying for 'em next year.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:25 PM

I did an AmeriCorps program called City Year, and after a year of getting paid less than 300 a week, and working 50+ hour weeks, they gave me seven grand towards school

Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 PM

Damn, putting in work my friend. 50 + hours making only 300. How and where did you live? Well it's good to know the cuny bureaucracy gave you the in-state tuition with ease.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 AM

Shared a room with a coworker in forest hills, queens for 350 a month, we got a bunch of free stuff sometimes (mets tickets, got to work taste of the nation for free, etc), and they gave us the monthly subway passes

it wasn't easy

Old 10-16-2009, 08:39 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
Hunter is another Cuny school that has dorms as well, but they're further downtown away from the main campus. If your a nursing student (or an athlete) you get top preference. I for one always thought those dorms had a weird ambiance, but its a good deal..the rates are similar to City's dorms/the towers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City