Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 PM
 
51 posts, read 169,686 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

I was thinking about moving to a place in Sheepshead Bay but I've been told that as a black person I might have some issues in the area and that I might feel uncomfortable. Does anyone know how welcome blacks are in that part of Brooklyn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Where the sun always shines
2,170 posts, read 3,283,846 times
Reputation: 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
I was thinking about moving to a place in Sheepshead Bay but I've been told that as a black person I might have some issues in the area and that I might feel uncomfortable. Does anyone know how welcome blacks are in that part of Brooklyn?
I think u should be alright. Its not ur moving to Bensonhurst or Howard Beach, 2 places as a black male I would actively seek to avoid. As matter of fact of SHeepshead Bay High School is loaded with blacks and Latinoes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Now in Houston!
922 posts, read 3,846,856 times
Reputation: 671
I'm white, and I have lived on the Eastern end of Sheepshead Bay for three years. I have never witnessed any acts of racism, nor have I heard any person speak in a racist manner toward Blacks. That doesn't mean that it does not exist, but in my relatively short time here I have not seen it.

The comments and negative attitudes I HAVE witnessed, however, are directed towards the Russian and Ukrainian immigrants who make up an increasing percentage of the population. Native-born Brooklynites here have a lot of disdain for Eastern European immigrants.

The trend is for Sheepshead Bay to continue to become more of a Russian/Ukrainian dominated community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,049 posts, read 34,436,265 times
Reputation: 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Native-born Brooklynites here have a lot of disdain for Eastern European immigrants.
Some of that comes from the fact that when President Carter opened the door for Jews in the Soviet Union to come to the United States, a large number of Russians who aren't Jewish lied about that fact and came here under a false pretext.

But to answer the OP's concerns, Sheepshead Bay shouldn't be a problem for you at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
4,116 posts, read 3,134,293 times
Reputation: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
I was thinking about moving to a place in Sheepshead Bay but I've been told that as a black person I might have some issues in the area and that I might feel uncomfortable. Does anyone know how welcome blacks are in that part of Brooklyn?

Not so many blacks in that neighborhood since it's a predominately Russian neighborhood. 98% are Russians. the other 2% or so mixed cultures. You should be okay though even though they like to stick with their own people they shouldn't give you any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Now in Houston!
922 posts, read 3,846,856 times
Reputation: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Not so many blacks in that neighborhood since it's a predominately Russian neighborhood. 98% are Russians. the other 2% or so mixed cultures. You should be okay though even though they like to stick with their own people they shouldn't give you any problems.
98% Russian is a very high estimate. It's more like 50/50 at this point. But like I said, the long-term trend is for Russian/Ukrainian population to eventually dominate the area.

There is also a significant Chinese minority. The area around the Avenue U B/Q station is like a very small Chinatown. But some people might not consider that far north to be Sheepshead Bay.

Last edited by UpstaterInBklyn; 10-14-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
 
91,663 posts, read 121,677,958 times
Reputation: 18109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I think u should be alright. Its not ur moving to Bensonhurst or Howard Beach, 2 places as a black male I would actively seek to avoid. As matter of fact of SHeepshead Bay High School is loaded with blacks and Latinoes
Here's the demographics for the high school: Student Teacher Ratio Sheepshead Bay High School - Brooklyn, New York - NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM
 
3,085 posts, read 7,202,192 times
Reputation: 1626
You'll be fine. I'm black and I've worked and been around there for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 04:20 PM
 
51 posts, read 169,686 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wow. That many black kids go to that school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 PM
 
Location: brooklyn
197 posts, read 891,618 times
Reputation: 119
Sheepshead's Bay is very diverse with Russians, Chinese, Pakistanis, Latinos, and some blacks. It has changed greatly in the last decade or so. I don't think there is any neighborhoods left in Brooklyn today that are like the Bensonhurst, Sheepshead Bay, or Canarsie of the 1970s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top