Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
YES!!!! 45 40.54%
NO!!!! 66 59.46%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

I think the people of Kmart, the people of Jimmy Jazz, and the people of the Bodega are just as bad if not worse than the people of Wal-Mart. Don't believe me? Go visit them and see for yourself.

And ask yourself this: How can you prevent Wal-Mart from opening in NYC but welcome Wall-St, Investment Banks, and other similarly "greedy" companies/businesses with horrible business practices? I take it bodegas are wonderful businesses that treat employees wonderfully, have employees who are all legal, all have full benefits and retirement packages, and 2 weeks vacation? How about all those "wonderful" businesses in chinatown, chock full of counterfiet products, illegals abused and enslaved, leading to 10 to a room housing, etc? The hypocracy here is staggering.

I get you don't like Wal-Mart for lots of valid reasons, but why is it ok to prevent them and allow the others. And therein lies the problem I have...either be consistent or not. But preventing wal-mart and villifying them is ludicrous and mostly done by Unions..who are interested in their pockets, not yours. If Wal-mart said "we love Unions"...we would have 40 of them in 2 years, regardless of what it does to our communities.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I get you don't like Wal-Mart for lots of valid reasons, but why is it ok to prevent them and allow the others.
Exactly! - It's not OK.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
WildCard Steve is a communist. America became a great country through the free market. New York, in particular, is the epitome of capitalism and enterprise. Those who hate Walmart should go to Cuba or North Korea.
If you call the sweetheart deal, trade-wise, that the murderous leadship of Communist China has worked out with various and sundry American economic traitors to glut our markets with cheap goods "free market Capitalism", I cannot agree. I don't think Dr. Milton Friedman would, either.

Those cheap goods are covered with the blood of some of the most decent, hard working people in the world - the Chinese working class. The "Wal-Martification" of America is part of a sleazy international "race to the bottom" in terms of decent wages, decent working conditions, and environmental quality.

The only long term benefit goes to amoral rich people. Funny, lots of people have gotten rich through hard work, brains, and business acumen, without that blatant disregard for the welfare of one's fellow man that seems so prevalent these days.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:01 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I take it bodegas are wonderful businesses that treat employees wonderfully, have employees who are all legal, all have full benefits and retirement packages, and 2 weeks vacation?
The people in my corner bodega seem contented enough. It's kind of a little community center, in a way.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
If you call the sweetheart deal, trade-wise, that the murderous leadship of Communist China has worked out with various and sundry American economic traitors to glut our markets with cheap goods "free market Capitalism", I cannot agree. I don't think Dr. Milton Friedman would, either.

Those cheap goods are covered with the blood of some of the most decent, hard working people in the world - the Chinese working class. The "Wal-Martification" of America is part of a sleazy international "race to the bottom" in terms of decent wages, decent working conditions, and environmental quality.

The only long term benefit goes to amoral rich people. Funny, lots of people have gotten rich through hard work, brains, and business acumen, without that blatant disregard for the welfare of one's fellow man that seems so prevalent these days.
Exactly. People never wanna bring up this aspect of "free-market Capitalism"..someone else is paying the price for you to buy those cheap goods (pun completely intended)

Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,726 times
Actually, Milton Friedman's classic TV series "Free to Choose" highlighted the example of Hong Kong, another totally laissez faire economy that exported a lot of cheap goods to the US. Puhleez, you people are economically illiterate leftists. If you don't like capitalism, move to France or Sweden--don't live in New York.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
I have gone into Wally world at 2 am in the morning but i had on pant and shoes and shirt that look right and it covered all my part's that i have ..I might not have shaved that day or i'm comeing home from work and the tie gone and the shirt is out of the pant's because it just to hot and muggy to not to try and get some refeif

But i never been that bad as some of the pictures and i think door greeter should have that a buggy whip and if you get a light flick of the whip past you head that means you need to turn around and go home and change your outfit before entering the store .

Old 07-09-2011, 07:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
We are going to buy cheap Chinese crap (or expensive Chinese TV's and computers) whether we want to or not. The only difference between Walmart and the bodega is whether we are going to pay a 20% markup or a 200% markup for the "cheap Chinese crap."

The Unites States has long ago priced itself out of manufacturing ANYTHING so where it's made is a non-issue.

I needed a plate to cover my lock. Home Depot wants $6.83 and my local hardware store wanted $17. Unfortunately I need one a non-standard size and the hardware guy told me he knew where to get one...for $100.
'Nuff said?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 PM

10 posts, read 21,060 times
I like a diversity of locations to shop. Specialty stores are great. Walmart isn't.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
No. Besides all the other black marks against Walmart, statistically, it destroys more jobs than it creates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City