U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 PM

548 posts, read 700,079 times
Question Black woman moving to bensonhurst...

with bf. I heard that this neighborhood has a bad reputation for 'racism.' My bf is Italian and he says that I will be fine because I'm a woman; and that the neighborhood isn't like it was in the past years. I don't want to move to a place where I'll feel unwelcomed. Should I live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM

12,136 posts, read 11,325,881 times
Where in Bensonhurst?, I ask because West of 86th is Bath Beach....and there are black people around doing there thing, shopping along 86th Street. No big deal.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:37 PM

Background info: I'm 26, in grad school, I'm originally from manhattan and I look like a typical 'manhattanite'

Old 10-16-2009, 12:40 PM

479 posts, read 821,911 times
It used to be very racist if you go back in decades, but now and days is not that bad at all. I think you will be fine. I actually think is better than been welcome in an all black neighborhood. Either if you are black or white.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:42 PM

We are moving near bay ridge and 16th

Old 10-16-2009, 06:33 PM

502 posts, read 1,477,078 times
There are black people living in Bensonhurst and have been for the past 20 years or so. So it is do-able. I have a friend who's lived there her whole life and she knows most people around the community. You may be fine living there with your boyfriend and him being Italian.

Maybe you and he could hang out in the neighborhood one Saturday. Eat dinner someplace, shop at the local supermarket and see how you feel.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM

876 posts, read 1,277,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
with bf. I heard that this neighborhood has a bad reputation for 'racism.' My bf is Italian and he says that I will be fine because I'm a woman; and that the neighborhood isn't like it was in the past years. I don't want to move to a place where I'll feel unwelcomed. Should I live there?
Would you ask the same question for your bf if you were moving to brownvilles? I can tell you this your bf would have more problems in brownsville then you would ever have in bensonhurst.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 PM

197 posts, read 553,940 times
That area has changed in the past twenty years it is not a completely Italian neighborhood anymore. In fact southern Brooklyn is probably less than one third Italian. Bayridge seems to be majority Arab with some spillover into Bensonhurst, There is a large Chinese community around 86th Street and there are alot Russians in Bensonhurst in the last 10 years. So the character of the neighborhood is vastly different than the 80s.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:39 AM

131 posts, read 233,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Would you ask the same question for your bf if you were moving to brownvilles? I can tell you this your bf would have more problems in brownsville then you would ever have in bensonhurst.
Brownsville doesn't have a reputation of racial animosity towards white people, so this is a moot point.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 PM

876 posts, read 1,277,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
Brownsville doesn't have a reputation of racial animosity towards white people, so this is a moot point.
Just because you dont see it on the news doesnt mean it dont exist. A white person in brownsville is a lot more likely to have problems then a black person in bensonhurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City