U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 11,655 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job opportunity coming up in Queens Village, and was wondering what a good place to live (rent) is? Never lived in NYC, so I'm looking for some good advice

A little background:
My wife and I are 27, and we have a 30lb, well behaved dog.

We have a car, but I'd prefer to use public transport for most of my commuting needs.

She doesn't have a job lined up yet, and would most likely work part time while going to school.

We'd be looking to spend $1500 or less per month on at least a one-bedroom, if not two.

We'd like to be near parks and walkable commercial areas, as well as trains into manhattan.

We'd also love to be in an ethnically diverse area, with lots of food and culture.

Having said all this, we wouldn't be totally opposed to being out into LI, but I assume there are less units that are more expensive there.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 05:16 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,841,749 times
You can definitely live in Queens. Check out Forest Hills, Rego Park, Astoria and some parts of Jackson Heights.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:12 AM

283 posts, read 453,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enxu View Post
I have a possible job opportunity coming up in Queens Village, and was wondering what a good place to live (rent) is? Never lived in NYC, so I'm looking for some good advice

A little background:
My wife and I are 27, and we have a 30lb, well behaved dog.

We have a car, but I'd prefer to use public transport for most of my commuting needs.

She doesn't have a job lined up yet, and would most likely work part time while going to school.

We'd be looking to spend $1500 or less per month on at least a one-bedroom, if not two.

We'd like to be near parks and walkable commercial areas, as well as trains into manhattan.

We'd also love to be in an ethnically diverse area, with lots of food and culture.

Having said all this, we wouldn't be totally opposed to being out into LI, but I assume there are less units that are more expensive there.

Thanks in advance.
If you're gonna work in Queens Village you might as well live there or somewhere relatively close like Briarwood or Kew Gardens (soomeon above suggested Jackson Heights or Astoria but those are much further away from where you'll work and more expensive). I guess if you really want NY amenities you could move to one of them or Elmhurst but your commute to work will be long as Queens Village is far out in suburban Queens and not near a regular subway (E or F train then a bus or Long Island Rail Road will be your commute if you use public transporation).

Old 10-17-2009, 11:36 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,841,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
If you're gonna work in Queens Village you might as well live there or somewhere relatively close like Briarwood or Kew Gardens (soomeon above suggested Jackson Heights or Astoria but those are much further away from where you'll work and more expensive). I guess if you really want NY amenities you could move to one of them or Elmhurst but your commute to work will be long as Queens Village is far out in suburban Queens and not near a regular subway (E or F train then a bus or Long Island Rail Road will be your commute if you use public transporation).
You might also want to try Maspeth or Glendale.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:32 PM

8,056 posts, read 8,572,863 times
Also Middle Village and Bellerose. You should have no problem finding a one bedroom for $1500 in Queens.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,870,515 times
Just live in Queens Village. I don't live too far from there and it'll have everything you listed.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 PM

197 posts, read 801,923 times
Try living in Queens Village or Cambria Heights. You said that you want to use public transportation the only public transportation in that area is the city buses. There is no subway in Queens Village. If you live in Jackson Heights or Glendale you will have to us eyour car and drive to Queens Village as there are no direct subway or bus routes from Queens Village to Jackson Heights.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 11,655 times
Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming!

Regardless of public transport, what about living in Long Island, outside of Queens? is this feesable from a commute time standpoint. Are rents cheaper outside of the 5 borroughs?

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-18-2009 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: same poster, same subject

Old 10-18-2009, 04:27 PM

8,056 posts, read 8,572,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enxu View Post
Are rents cheaper outside of the 5 borroughs?

No, not really.

You could certainly live on the Nassau County/ Queens border and have a reasonable commute. It would probably be easier to use your car then for work. Depending on where you are living, you might be able to get to work with a couple of buses. I don't think there is a LIRR stop in Queens Village. Unless you need Long Island schools for your kids, you are probably better off just living in Queens.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:32 PM

19,446 posts, read 34,511,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
No, not really.

You could certainly live on the Nassau County/ Queens border and have a reasonable commute. It would probably be easier to use your car then for work. Depending on where you are living, you might be able to get to work with a couple of buses. I don't think there is a LIRR stop in Queens Village. Unless you need Long Island schools for your kids, you are probably better off just living in Queens.
LIRR Queens Village Timetable (http://www.mta.info/lirr/html/ttn/queensvi.htm - broken link)

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City