U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 AM

285 posts, read 538,205 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is about to undergo six weeks of radiation treatment. He is an avid swimmer, but his doctor recommended that he not swim during treatments, as the chlorine would further irritate his skin.

Does anyone know of any health clubs (the closer to Chelsea the better) that have pools treated with bromine or other chlorine-free products?

I know it's a longshot, but I figured it never hurts to ask. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 AM

4,193 posts, read 4,939,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
I have a friend who is about to undergo six weeks of radiation treatment. He is an avid swimmer, but his doctor recommended that he not swim during treatments, as the chlorine would further irritate his skin.

Does anyone know of any health clubs (the closer to Chelsea the better) that have pools treated with bromine or other chlorine-free products?

I know it's a longshot, but I figured it never hurts to ask. Thanks!

I had to undergo chemo and I could not swim not even in the bromine. I would recommend he just take a break. he wont feel like it anyways.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,113 times
Has anyone found a chlorine free public pool?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM

316 posts, read 571,362 times
Why not just take your friend to the beach?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 PM

3,270 posts, read 3,394,433 times
Good luck to your friend. I hope he regains his health quickly and COMPLETELY!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 PM

49 posts, read 59,055 times
There are no chlorine free pools in nyc. Lennox Hill used to have one but they have since switched it back to chlorine and its not open to the public anyway.

If he feels up to it I say keep swimming. If he showers well before and after and then uses a good cream for sensitive skin I'd say he'd be okay.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM

527 posts, read 545,382 times
For those 6 weeks my opinion is he just takes a break, when you have radiation your body is succeptable (sp)- I wouldnt further any implications by swimming in ANY public places chlorine or not- I had a friend who just came off of some heavy duty radiation treatments, he in that time also changed his whole diet, eating ONLY organics, no pesticides, hormones, anti-biotics etc. - Hope your friend does well

Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 AM

501 posts, read 752,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl567 View Post
There are no chlorine free pools in nyc. Lennox Hill used to have one but they have since switched it back to chlorine and its not open to the public anyway.

If he feels up to it I say keep swimming. If he showers well before and after and then uses a good cream for sensitive skin I'd say he'd be okay.

and you give this advice based on what? your md degree?
don't take chances because chlorine is absorbed thru the skin and inhaling, no amount of showering or creams will stop it. and plus they would be exposed to all those germs- from others in the pool, at a vulnerable time. creams might add more toxicity as well btw. go all organic, play it safe, don't take reassurances from know-nothings when a life is at stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City