U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 AM
zdg zdg started this thread

774 posts, read 1,024,372 times

Advertisements

Well, it's almost here...my first winter. I lived the first 33 winters of my life in Texas, so the idea that I need different clothing for February than I wear in June is a new concept for us.

It's been made clear to me that I absolutely must get some warm, waterproof boots or I'll go crazy.

If it were just up to me, I'd buy the cheapest thing that worked regardless of what it looked like. Unfortunately, I'm sometimes forced to meet with clients or other businesspeople, so I have to wear something that looks somewhat fashionable at the same time. I'm not in a suit, but I can't show up in fireman boots; you know what I mean?

What does everyone suggest?

I'm willing to spend the money on the right pair that will keep me warm and comfortable while being able to conduct business.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:28 AM

867 posts, read 1,307,219 times
Look into Rockports. They make shoes that are water resistant but look dressy. They look good in all kinds of weather. The leather is treated to be water resistant and the Vibram soles do a nice job of insulating feet from the cold. Of course, you will need old-fashioned boots as a backup. For the most part, in New York City you will be walking on packed down ice and shoveled sidewalks so the high boots are not needed everyday.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:29 PM

9,396 posts, read 16,003,951 times
A darker color in UGG should work if you dress mostly in business casual attire. Also, some North Face boots are understated enough to provide the performance and style. Cole Haan also generally does one or two winter boots that are good for the city. And, if you're in khakis and corduroy pants, for example, I think that Danner lace-ups work well.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 PM

104 posts, read 191,971 times
I highly recommend SWIMS Mobster Galoshes. Haven't used them myself in NYC yet but used elsewhere and they work great.

Simply put them on over your dress shoes and you are good to go. Take them off at the office and you have dry feet and are still wearing your nice shoes.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM

867 posts, read 1,307,219 times
Just an added note: The Rockport "Walk Dry" line of shoes is the line Is what I had in mind. They are dress shoes with waterproof uppers and vibram soles. I wear these myself. If you have to step into the occasional mush and puddles your feet never get wet (unless they're submerged) and you can wipe them off and they look great. These are the shoes I wear and I walk constantly in the city year round. They look very dressy with a pair of khakis, do not need to be polished to look great, and last forever. I have a pair of Rockport loafers that are on the third resole (three years old) that still look good even though I wear them at least four days a week. Very durable and reasonably priced.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,769,702 times
To me there's no good replacement for old fashioned boots.

Often after snow in the winter when you step off the curb, you THINK you're stepping onto solid pavement with just a fraction of an inch of slush on top. When you sink up to your instep or ankle in FREEZING, FILTHY slush (not to mention what else is in it!) you'll realize that crossing the streets is a real hazard after it snows and starts to melt.

And the salt will seriously stain any leather. I wouldn't risk Uggs in this city. They'll be ruined.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 PM

10,356 posts, read 18,817,098 times
I have a pair of North Face boots that has really served me well...they're not leather, but more of a rubberized material, and thickly padded inside. while everybody else is dodging puddles and watching their step, i trudge through anything on my way to work.

these are similar to what i own

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-26-2009 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 PM

259 posts, read 533,013 times
regular leather boots work for me. Just on really nasty days I wear some cheap snow boots that I don't care what they look like. Put some flats in my purse and change at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City