U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 AM

102 posts, read 150,489 times

Advertisements

This is true. Parking can be an issue after 7pm. But it's the sacrifice of having a car. Another great alternative is to get a room-mate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,885,880 times
Either ditch the car or store it in a garage outside the city for trips you take that are not convenient by rail. You do not need it for daily use. Get rid of the idea of commuting by car entirely.

Start looking for direct lines to midtown. Forest Hills has some really nice places and the walk to the F is not that long. The trip in will also be quick around, I think, 42nd street? (I will have to look at a map... www.onnyturf.com has a good scale subway map).

I am in Hoboken now, and there are spots available for much less than NYC (most expensive was somewhere around $225 I believe). Rents on some buildings, more likely onthe older ones, are controlled and can be questioned by City Hall. The Path is quick to Midtown @ 33rd and 6th, the Ferry is so-so (and expensive) and there is the 126 bus that goes into Port Authority (42nd and 8th avenue).

Jersey City has some nice places as well.

If you do not have a shore house, and do not have relatives close by, and do not have a classic 70's Vette, I would think VERY strongly about selling the car. Zip car may be more expensive per day, but when you look at the bottom line, it comes out surprisingly in its favor (OMG $70 a day for a car? I don't want to spend that much for a day at the shore/CostCo trip/whatever... wait a sec, if I pay $100 a year in insurance, and $300 a month in parking, thats $4600 = 65 trips!!!!! More than once a week, for the whole day........)

Anyway, NYC CAN be very expensive, but itcan be less expensive so long as you know where to shop and do not spend too much time OUT in it!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:15 PM

8 posts, read 14,976 times
Thanks fox for your great thoughts. Btw, it's just so annoying that almost all my stupid friends say get a place in NYC, do not live in NJ in places like Hoboken / Newport or Weehawken which to be honest are a lot more affordable than Manhattan! Why somebody would say Astoria is better than Hoboken for living for a signle young professional? I checked the area out and did not like it! I prefer to have a descent saving than paying huge rent for old tiny apartment in Manhattan? Good way of thinking or not fox?!?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-NY View Post
Thanks fox for your great thoughts. Btw, it's just so annoying that almost all my stupid friends say get a place in NYC, do not live in NJ in places like Hoboken / Newport or Weehawken which to be honest are a lot more affordable than Manhattan! Why somebody would say Astoria is better than Hoboken for living for a signle young professional? I checked the area out and did not like it! I prefer to have a descent saving than paying huge rent for old tiny apartment in Manhattan? Good way of thinking or not fox?!?
maybe it depends on what you are looking for

Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM

2,812 posts, read 2,542,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideas12 View Post
maybe it depends on what you are looking for
I'll bet your next months rent that the OP has long moved on!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:36 PM

346 posts, read 812,410 times
Why not just live in Jersey City across the river instead? It's only like a path train away into midtown, and it makes no sense to commute by car from NYC to NJ every day.

EDIT: Why necro the thread ideas12?

Old 07-08-2011, 03:00 PM

1,365 posts, read 539,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Why not just live in Jersey City across the river instead? It's only like a path train away into midtown, and it makes no sense to commute by car from NYC to NJ every day.

EDIT: Why necro the thread ideas12?
Exactly or go to hoboken. If you're making 100K you should be more than ok unless you have an extravangant lifestyle.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:01 PM

8,354 posts, read 11,420,024 times
OP was 2 years ago. He probably doesn't need advice anymore!!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 AM

11,350 posts, read 11,260,449 times
I lived at Newport a long time. It is a safe, beautiful, convenient place with terrific shopping on site and an 8 minute ride to Greenwich Village or the Financial District. The studio apartments are big.

Electric heat will cost a bundle so try for a Southern exposure.

I recommend it, even if you aren't Indian.

Parking was $160 or $180 when I left.

You will save a bundle on taxes.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 AM

1,228 posts, read 491,078 times
you can find a place in queens or brooklyn for less and maybe more space an parking all for less then you are paying.

Do you really need a car? maybe if you got rid of that you could safe a great deal more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City