Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 15,403 times

Advertisements

I remember Liz! I actually have a pic of her. If you want I can scan it and send to you

QUOTE=spartanwhiskey;20848739]Does anyone remember the homeless couple "Liz and Ronnie" who used to hang out on the corner of St. Mark's and 1st Avenue? She was a scraggly blonde and he was gaunt rastafarian who used to ride a bike.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Remember Goldie and Tony the weed dealers around Tompkins Park ?

Do you remember Stingy Lulus on St. Marks and A ?

Do you remember SPIKE from the band SEWAGE ?

Have you met GG Allins Brother ?

Have you gotten a tattoo from sean vasquez or andrea at East Side Ink ?

Have you gotten couch lock at Save The Robots ?

Have you been to The **** ?

Have you eaten at Bereket ?

Do you hate B'way on the weekends ?

Did you workout at World's Gym before the douchebags at Crunch took it over ?

Is a drag queen a celebrity where you live ?

Have you seen Henry Rollins lately ?

Do you walk down 3rd street just to see the Hells Angels ?

.......all together now .... " Those WERE THE DAAAAAYYYYYSSS " ( All in the family remix)

Old 12-02-2014, 09:44 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Remember Goldie and Tony the weed dealers around Tompkins Park ?

Do you remember Stingy Lulus on St. Marks and A ?

Do you remember SPIKE from the band SEWAGE ?

Have you met GG Allins Brother ?

Have you gotten a tattoo from sean vasquez or andrea at East Side Ink ?

Have you gotten couch lock at Save The Robots ?

Have you been to The **** ?

Have you eaten at Bereket ?

Do you hate B'way on the weekends ?

Did you workout at World's Gym before the douchebags at Crunch took it over ?

Is a drag queen a celebrity where you live ?

Have you seen Henry Rollins lately ?

Do you walk down 3rd street just to see the Hells Angels ?

.......all together now .... " Those WERE THE DAAAAAYYYYYSSS " ( All in the family remix)

Stingy LuLus was always so dark that you could never see what you were eating..lol. What fun.

I got my first tattoo from Jonathan Shaw at Fun City Tattoos in the early 90s. He was awesome.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 15,403 times
i was there just in 80s. Anyone remember crazy drunken Louie....short, fat PR guy. Also, Starchild, a squatter, and Tony Anarchy, King David, a reggae singer who lived in St Marks hotel. Lisa and Joey Nails, also lived there.
Once, got locked in the Yippies headquarters. The deadbolt broke, we couldn't get out till someone could fix it the next morning, and I was having a bad trip!!!

Old 12-15-2014, 12:47 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Great thread.

I did the EV from 1983 to 2000. Saw it change- a lot.

Fair to say I was in pretty much every establishment mentioned. Sophies and Grass Roots were my favorites. Did the Blue & Gold for years but slowly outgrew it.

Thought I was the only one who remembered Downtown Beruit and the Dugout.

Ah, halcyon days of youth.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,593 times
Default remember a bar with a sauna room?

There was a bar in lower East Village in the early 90s that was probably a spa or bath at one point. Lots of red light and there were two big rooms, side by side; one room was a more traditional looking bar, the other room had pool table, Tetris machine and a room that was like a bathroom tiled steam room, where you could do things in relative privacy. I can't remember where or what it was called, but think it was near the Bowery and had a girl's name.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Hello all, I moved to my first NYC apartment in November of 1991. It was on East 13th Street between 1st & 2nd Aves.

Also East 13th, same block:
Desperate to get into Manhattan we looked at a 6th floor walk-up. It was a studio without a separate kitchen. Hanging down from the ceiling in the middle of the room was one of those immense 3 cubic feet gas meters.
Atop the kitchen counter was a bathtub that we were told was for bathing and washing dishes. (One would need a step ladder to get into it, presuming you didn't first bash your brains in on the gas meter.)

I cannot remember the toilet but it must have been in the living room somewhere.

Nobody is THAT desperate for a Manhattan apartment and we made a run for it. I don't think we even asked what the rent was. Anything over $20 would have been highway robbery. I vaguely remember a fire engine red door.
<Now I feel the need for a shower.>

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-27-2015 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-15-2017, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
I also remember the Aztec practically lived there. The girl with the really long nails was Barbara. I was also friends with the bouncer Alan that let us in every time even though I was way under age, went home with him sure that didn't hurt. How about Dracula Dave with his dog Vulcan. The Holiday on st marks
The wawa hut on A and classic after hours at Save the Robots on ave B
JessB.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 905 times
I was at Aztec on night with my friends Gena and Becca in '87. Becca had done an interview for the New York Magazin (link below) a while back about the Hardcore scene and she made the mistake of saying that she thought one of the band members was cute. So we're at the bar having a drink at this little table with paint splatters all over it in the shape of a skull, and Becca sees the guys girlfriend. She asks me to change seats with her so the girl won't start anything and I do. So the girl doesn't see Becca, she sees me and comes up and breaks a beer mug over the back of my head. I have to head over to Beth Israel to get stitches, but I stop at my apartment to soak my polo shirt first, it was a Van Heusen after all. After all that, the girls didn't even stay at the hospital with me.

[url]https://books.google.com/books?id=4eYCAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=becca+le vine+nyhc+hardcore&source=bl&ots=5zI-515kZP&sig=ZYWZub0FHiWTy0iYOEQSpb9FSOw&hl=en&sa=X& ved=2ahUKEwjTlJPwydreAhWF8oMKHQfhCE0Q6AEwBXoECAcQA Q#v=onepage&q=becca%20levine%20nyhc%20hardcore&f=f alse[/url]

Old 11-19-2018, 03:53 PM

1,566 posts, read 905,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebit123 View Post
i was there just in 80s. Anyone remember crazy drunken Louie....short, fat PR guy. Also, Starchild, a squatter, and Tony Anarchy, King David, a reggae singer who lived in St Marks hotel. Lisa and Joey Nails, also lived there.
Once, got locked in the Yippies headquarters. The deadbolt broke, we couldn't get out till someone could fix it the next morning, and I was having a bad trip!!!
I was good friends with Louie. Haven't seen him in two decades. I always keep an eye out for him.

The guy you call Starchild was probably this guy John, we used to call him Toast because he was always trying to die. Light blond hair and always dirty?

This thread brings back the memories. St. Marks Bar n Grill. Beirut. International bar. I used to work at the World on 2nd and C back in the 80s.

Last edited by Pope of Greenwich Village; 11-19-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City