Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 65,448 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to this board and was wondering if Jamaica in Queens is an ok place to live. I will be attending St. Johns University next semester and I'd like to live as close as possible to school. I am not from New York and know nothing about this neighborhood. Can anyone tell me what the rents, culture, people, architecture etc. is like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 02:30 PM

10,165 posts, read 20,698,179 times
Well Jamaica Estates is beautiful if you can afford it. The area around the DMV and LIRR is not very good. Are you driving or using public transportation? If driving I'd opt for Glen Oaks or Bayside if you like quiet neighborhoods. Otherwise check out Kew Gardens.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 PM

39 posts, read 236,214 times
If you're going to St.Johns there are plenty of nice apartments in the Briarwood section of Queens. Like a 5-10 minute drive, and I believe St.Johns just completed new student housing in that area. I'm not sure of the student housing rents, but apts go for around 1000-1500 for a 2 bedroom. Look on craigslist.

The surrounding Jamaica Estates has beautiful homes, tree-lined streets. Culture wise the area is residential, mostly Jewish and Asian, there are some nice restaurants around Union Turnpike, not much for nightlife.

I live in the "not so good" area around the LIRR. There really isn't anything to do as a college student further out into Jamaica.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,288,279 times
Jamaica and Far Rockaway are generally considered the worst parts of Queens. They're not as bad as say the worst areas of Brooklyn or The Bronx, but bad as far as Queens is concerned which overall is a somewhat suburban lifestyle in many areas

Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,966,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Jamaica and Far Rockaway are generally considered the worst parts of Queens. They're not as bad as say the worst areas of Brooklyn or The Bronx, but bad as far as Queens is concerned which overall is a somewhat suburban lifestyle in many areas
I guess it's all a matter of opinion but there are parts of Jamaica that feel a lot scarier than any place in The Bronx to me.I usually think of the bad parts of Jamaica as neck and neck with the bad parts of East New York or Brownsville for the title of scariest place in NY.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:29 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,591,573 times
/\ Where in Jamaica would that be? Jamaica is hood, I'll give you that, but it doesn't seem out of control like say Brownsville or certain blocks in the Bronx. The only place in Qns to me that feels completely hard core like that is Far Rock.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:08 PM

39 posts, read 236,214 times
There is no way that parts of Jamaica are comparable to Brownsville! That is a joke. Far Rockaway does tend to be severely sketchy. Then again, I'm sure it's all relative. I have been to parts of the Bronx and East New York that made me feel uncomfortable, though I've never felt outright fear anywhere in the city.

But for the OP, I would stick to Briarwood or Kew Gardens.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,966,138 times
It might also be a matter of comfort/discomfort because of familiarity on unfamiliarity.

I teach in The South Bronx and it doesn't bother me,maybe because I was a social worker before and I know the streets.Put me in a bad neighborhood that I am unfamiliar with and I get a little jumpy.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 PM

33,318 posts, read 46,766,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenFortyFour View Post
Hi, I am new to this board and was wondering if Jamaica in Queens is an ok place to live. I will be attending St. Johns University next semester and I'd like to live as close as possible to school. I am not from New York and know nothing about this neighborhood. Can anyone tell me what the rents, culture, people, architecture etc. is like?
jamaica is one of the largest neighborhoods, if not the largest neighborhood in queens. so to summarize the whole neighborhood as good or bad would not be an accurate description, as jamaica has many parts.

if you're going to st. john's, i suggest looking for an apartment around union turnpike. its safe, and close to the school.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM

548 posts, read 1,248,752 times
yes, but stay on the border near the west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City