U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 AM

784 posts, read 1,782,456 times

Advertisements

I'm actually from NYC, lived in Queens for 23 years, but in a multi-family house. (If you have any other questions about NYC you can PM me)

Question: If you live in a Manhattan apartment without a doorman, how do you receive packages from UPS / FedEx? Can the super hold your packages for you? I imagine that this is a big problem, since many people are working / can't sign for packages when the UPS guy delivers. Let's assume that you can't get packages delivered for you at work.

Since I live in a multi-family house, if I got a package and wasn't home to sign for it, the UPS guy would ring the doorbell of the upstairs family and the mother would come downstairs to sign for my package. I know they are supposed to leave notices but I've known the guy and family for a while so it's all good. I can't imagine that the UPS guy would ring every apartment bell to get someone to come down and sign for a package!

I'm thinking of moving to Manhattan within the next year and want to know the cost-benefit of having a doorman to sign for your packages. I am not worried about safety, since I grew up in NYC when it was bad! I just want to know, if it is worth it? I do see ads in the subway for Manhattan Storage - they'll sign and store your packages for free, but even that's pretty pricey. I am asking because I do get a lot of large, heavy packages delivered to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 AM

6,624 posts, read 11,570,764 times
A lot of people get an apartment in a doorman building for exactly this reason.You can't really expect a super in a large building to be responsible for everyones's packages and a lot of buildings specifically prohibit this.The super should be doing other things with his time.You can ask a neighbor in the building to sign and accept occasionally but that would get annoying for them pretty quickly.

If you really get a lot of packages better get an apartment in a doorman building and tip them well.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM

That makes sense. Has anyone had any experience with UPS delivering to the UPS Store and then picking up your packages from there?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM

3,998 posts, read 5,229,751 times
I've never had it delivered to a UPS store, but I have gone to the pick-up center. It's a pain. Another one of those inconveniences of living in the city.

If you work in an office, you can have packages delivered there.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 PM

4,207 posts, read 4,998,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
That makes sense. Has anyone had any experience with UPS delivering to the UPS Store and then picking up your packages from there?

I live in a small building and UPS/USPS always leave the packages near the mail box which is passed the locking door. thisi s ONLY becasue my building only has about 12 people living in it and we all kinda look out for eachother.

I have had HORRIBLE experiences with FedEx and packages tho. I always end up picking them up at the fed ex store. you best bet is to do the same

Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM

218 posts, read 493,523 times
This is actually something I've wanted to ask for a long time, but didn't, so thanks to the OP, for posting it! I never thought about having stuff sent to your own workplace, but that's actually a pretty nice option.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:51 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,393,057 times
A doorman at $200+ extra a month is not worth it to make sure packages are delivered. People figure it out - left in the entryway, the building figures out a place to stash them if someone sees it, by the mailboxes, whatever.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM

So far I found

MailBoxes Etc
Manhattan Mini Storage (Do they sign and take packages?)
Manhattan Mailroom
NYC Virtual Office
NY Mail

And of course the UPS Store and FedEx Store

I'm posting these here for you, and for future reference, since I'll definitely come back to this thread in the future!

If anyone has any more, please add!

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 10-27-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM

3,998 posts, read 5,229,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
So far I found

MailBoxes Etc
Manhattan Mini Storage (Do they sign and take packages?)
Manhattan Mailroom
NYC Virtual Office
NY Mail
These places are very expensive. It's not really worth it unless it's a business expense and you receive a lot of packages.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
These places are very expensive. It's not really worth it unless it's a business expense and you receive a lot of packages.
The last two are about $15 / month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City