U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,836 times

Advertisements

So I know these types of threads have been done a million times but I am going to do another one. I read through most of the threads on moving to NYC, but my situation differs slightly. I am fortunate enough to have a generous uncle who owns an apartment in manhattan on the westside in greenwich village. I am currently living in Maine and have recently graduated from college with a B.S. in Marketing, but I am having a tough time finding work in this State. He offered to let me rent his place (he lives in NJ) for a rather cheap price. Its a two bedroom apartment fairly good size for the city. Rent would be sub 900 a month. What I am asking is how much money should I save, and what would be a rough monthly budget for stuff down there (as in cost of food, cable, internet, etc.). Also, I understand most people have said to have a job before you move, but this is proving rather difficult. If I can not secure a job before I move, how much should I save to last me 3 months?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 PM

120 posts, read 311,053 times
Sub $900 for a Greenwich village 2bdrm???

I'd say get some roomates, charge them $1000 each and you make the profit. Or at least get 1 other roomate, charge him $1500 for his own bdrm and you have extra $400/mo in cash flow.

To answer your question:
cable/internet: about $100/mo
food: $300-$600/mo (if you do groceries or eat cheaply: this is equivalent to $10 to $20/day)
ent: $200-$500/mo (since you don't have a job, this is unnecessary)

Old 10-29-2009, 04:28 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,289,947 times
I'd say you could do food for more like $200-$400. A roommate would be a practical idea, but no need to rip him off - $700-$1200 would be reasonable, depending on what the apartment/building is like. Also, it would be nice for you in terms of not being alone. Perhaps someone else in your graduating class is moving here?

I suggest you talk at length with your uncle, asking his advice AND permission about a roommate. It will also help if he understands your financial problems.

Marketing is now considered a science?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 3,836 times
Yeah, its a B.S. not a B.A.

I was going to have a roommate, but he only wants me to be there, so he can keep a room for when he wants to visit the city.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:27 PM

746 posts, read 844,871 times
Paintman111- Please do not take this the wrong way.... but I want to kill you out of insane jealousy. That is a SWEET deal you are getting there.

The West village is an awesome neighborhood. You will love it.

good luck on the job front. I am sure you will find something.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:14 PM

259 posts, read 533,627 times
Everyone says to have a job first, but its really hard to get a job here w/ out living here. What I did was just before I was going to move, I sent my resume out stating the date I would be living in NYC. A few people emailed me and said to come in then. Or even send your resume out the day before you're going to move w/ your nyc address. Get as many interviews lined up as you can. And yea I wouldn't hesitate for a second for a 900 dollar apartment in the west village. I could find you a roomate in 5 minutes to pay that for the other room. save a few thousand I would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City