Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:49 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is kind of a dumb question but i've been arguing this with my friends and all seem to agree. I live off the G train so regardless, I have to take 2 subways(G to the A/C) to work or anywhere. Yesterday, I discovered that if I took 3(G to L to 4/5), it took 10-15 mins less and it stops right in front of work. The A/C is 4 blocks away from work. It sounds like a no brainer but the station changes at Metropolitan/Lorimer and at Union Square are very busy and annoying not to mention a lot of crowded stairs.

Ok, what would you do, take 2 or 3 subways? If the weather gets bad then i'll obviously take 3.

I apologize ahead of time for this dumb question.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
How about taking the G to the A/C at Hoyt/Schermerhorn and riding into Manhattan, where you can get the 4 or 5 at the Broadway/Nassau station? That way you can avoid Union Square.

Also, depending on where along the G line you live, you might even be able to cut your commute down to a single subway. Take advantage of the free bus-to-train transfer, for instance, and if you're near Franklin Avenue, the B-48 bus will drop you off right at the Franklin Avenue station on the 4 and 5 lines. (B-44 on Nostrand to the 2/5 station, etc.)

Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
How about taking the G to the A/C at Hoyt/Schermerhorn and riding into Manhattan, where you can get the 4 or 5 at the Broadway/Nassau station? That way you can avoid Union Square.
I thought of that too but the portion of the trip that takes the longest is the stretch on the G from Greenpoint to Hoyt/Schermerhorn and I wanted to avoid it. I guess I need to experiment a little more.
Thanks for the reply

Old 10-29-2009, 07:43 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
A friend who had to get from Gpt to lower Manhattan took the G to Broadway station in Williamsburg, went out in the street for a block or so, and got the J or M at Hewes St. It was pretty easy and costs the same if you have a monthly Metrocard.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Hello,

Yesterday, I discovered that if I took 3(G to L to 4/5), it took 10-15 mins less and it stops right in front of work. The A/C is 4 blocks away from work. It sounds like a no brainer but the station changes at Metropolitan/Lorimer and at Union Square are very busy and annoying not to mention a lot of crowded stairs.
If you really hate those transfers, you can only do that route when you are short for time and do the one leisurely change other days. One other thing, at normal rush a 3-train commute can be pretty fast. Later at night and on the weekends, I'd try to minimize the number of trains. You could wait a while for each.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 AM

A lot of people in Greenpoint also use the G going the other way: to Court Square, for the transfer with the E or V lines (then the #6 at Lexington). You can also go upstairs at Court Square and catch the #7.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
A lot of people in Greenpoint also use the G going the other way: to Court Square, for the transfer with the E or V lines (then the #6 at Lexington). You can also go upstairs at Court Square and catch the #7.
I think Court Square transfer to the 7 is a major pain. It also seems slower to take the 7, E, or V if you're going to lower Manhattan from Greenpoint.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 PM

"Major pain" is a relative term. It shows that you take the subway system for granted. If you're not being charged for the transfer, you can live with it, right?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 PM

I tried the Greenpoint to Broadway and walked to Hewes on the JMZ line but its OK, it runs a little slow on the Williamsburg Bridge. If I take the G the other way, i'd take the E down to the last stop which takes a while but isn't bad. Since my 4/5/6 stop is Brooklyn Bridge, taking the G to the E then the 6 would take too long. I wouldnt want to hop on 4 trains(need to take 4/5 instead of 6). Walking to the 7 is a little of a walk but it may be pretty fast, need to try that one, G to 7 to 4/5.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Walking to the 7 is a little of a walk but it may be pretty fast, need to try that one, G to 7 to 4/5.
It's not much of a walk from Court Square at all; the station is right upstairs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City