U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:34 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,318,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
The landlord will make me sign a lease that I can't bring a heater in the apt or anything that might overload the wiring system in the building.

Thats actually good IMO. You wont have to worry about peoples heaters catching fire and stuff. Also you can always put on an extra blanket when its cold. I don't really have control of my heat and I constantly have the windows open and am on the verge of putting on the AC.

Also you will be plenty warm on the top floor. As I leanred in my dorm living that heat rises and the top floors of buildings are generally 4 or 5degrees warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 02:02 PM

581 posts, read 548,042 times
guys, I just learned from the landlord that the studio on the 70s will not be for 1250. it is 1300 and I will have to pay extra for electric heat and electricty.

the other one is on 79th between East End and York and it is 1300 including electricty.

I know that both of them are good deal but for someone like me whose salary is a bit low. what would you choose? I even doubt it is realistic for me to pay 1300 rent if my monthly income is 2200.

any ideas? thanks.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,537,883 times
Keep looking.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 PM

why??

Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,537,883 times
Because the vacancy rate is high and you can use these two offers to get a cheaper apt with maybe less amenities at the price you want.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
I know those apartments on 79th - they're the old tenements used at the turn of the century erected by the City and Suburban Company and were the largest tenement development in the early 1900s. Some of them are landmarked.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM

Viralmd. Yes, it is what do you think about those buildings? yes, the company is City and Suburban.

Crescent, you are right. thank you. I will turn down the offer for the studio on 72nd. the landlord just informed me that the electricity bill will be anywhere between 80-180 a month. I tried to negotiate the rent but they refused.so that option is out.

Last edited by safina1; 11-02-2009 at 04:27 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 PM

10,754 posts, read 25,531,740 times
The 79th Street houses are in good repair these days, at least what I have noticed from the outside. And, I think it's sort of a neat, retro statement to live in one when the rest of the neighborhood has newer condo buildings. They evoke the earlier era when they were erected as affordable homes, that showcased that design and care could be attached to such a project without creating vast slums that had given the tenement a bad name. Today, the location is good, the neighborhood is good, and the rent includes electricity which helps with the budget.

The other property under consideration would give me pause because of the rider regarding overloading circuits,and being on the fifth floor is going to be very hot without strong air conditioning in the summer. I knew someone who lived in a building like that and if the phone rang and the machine picked up, when the microwave was on and a fan, or the television/computer, the power would go out in the entire building. This was in a pre-gentrified brownstone in Brooklyn, and was a few years ago, and I am not too sure that the conversion was actually legal, but it did have inadequate wiring for the modern lifestyle. And, since the landlord knows that to be a problem in the other apartment, it could make for difficulty in actually living in the apartment. You may be consigned to a low-power air conditioner that would not do too much to cool off the apartment, for example, so I would check on any restrictions regarding a/c prior to signing a lease.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM

thanks, BMW. actually, the rider is regarding the studio on 79th st and East end that has the wiring restrictions. the lease has warnings regarding having a heater but it allows A/C for extra money. I was planning on getting a small heater for the winter. I don't think it will overload the circuits?? the studio is on the second floor. do you think i shouldn't buy one?

the other studio on the 5th floor doesn't have any electricity restrictions simply becasue the tenant is responsible for electricty

Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
guys, I just learned from the landlord that the studio on the 70s will not be for 1250. it is 1300 and I will have to pay extra for electric heat and electricty.

the other one is on 79th between East End and York and it is 1300 including electricty.

I know that both of them are good deal but for someone like me whose salary is a bit low. what would you choose? I even doubt it is realistic for me to pay 1300 rent if my monthly income is 2200.

any ideas? thanks.
I don't think you should be even thinking about renting a $1,300/mo apartment if your income is 2,200/mo .Am not even sure a landlord will let you rent a $1,200 or $1,300/mo apartment. They shouldn't,for their sake and for yours.
One should not spend more than 25%( tops) of one's income on rent, which means that you can't afford more than $550/mo in rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City