U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 AM

581 posts, read 547,850 times

Advertisements

I have found a nice studio on UES but I am hesistant to rent it becasue the owner only pays for hot water. I pay for electricty, and heat.
now, there is an electric stove in the apt. that means will also consume electricty when cooking.

the heat is electric also. I won't have an A/C because I know it will cost a lot of money. I am not sure yet if I will get one but this apt is on the top floor of the building. two big windows and facing south. so I am assuming it will be very hot in the summer.

Now, I am worried about the electricity bill. I like to cook and I need to be warm enough at night otherwise I will not be able to sleep.

How much would this electricty bill cost me? it is a small alcove studio. it is not big.

Help me please. I need to make a decision. I asked the owner and he said it is something between 70-100 a month. but I doubt that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 12:04 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
The only way of knowing is to see old electricity bills. You can ask to see them and the worst the landlord could say is, 'No!'

Old 11-01-2009, 02:09 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
I have found a nice studio on UES but I am hesistant to rent it becasue the owner only pays for hot water. I pay for electricty, and heat.
now, there is an electric stove in the apt. that means will also consume electricty when cooking.

the heat is electric also. I won't have an A/C because I know it will cost a lot of money. I am not sure yet if I will get one but this apt is on the top floor of the building. two big windows and facing south. so I am assuming it will be very hot in the summer.

Now, I am worried about the electricity bill. I like to cook and I need to be warm enough at night otherwise I will not be able to sleep.

How much would this electricty bill cost me? it is a small alcove studio. it is not big.

Help me please. I need to make a decision. I asked the owner and he said it is something between 70-100 a month. but I doubt that.
I agree-ask to see past bills. You will need to see at least 2 consecutive winter bills to get an accurate idea, and then one during non-heat-season.

My friends have electric heat in their rent-stabilized apt. (unusual). They complain that they are cold all winter because they are always conscious of the bill whenver they turn the thermostat up. I personally would not want to live that way.

So, even after seeing the bills, you may still not have your answer. Because what if you're looking at bills from people who elected to be cold all winter in order to save a few bucks?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:54 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,537,371 times
I don't think this is out of line. The last 12 months, my avg bill has been $49.00- 1 bedroom, judicious use of electricity (CFLs, barely any cooking, occasional use of heat & A/C)

Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 PM

thanks. there is no way I can see the old bills. the pervious tenant had moved out already. Unless I ask the neighbors.

after reading some of the questions here, I started to think more about whether or not I should rent a studio. If I bring home 2200 a month, is it reasonable to rent a studio for 1300 a month ( the price includes utilities). I am a single female. I used to live in Manhattan and I don't want to live outside the city. I have been looking for either studios or apt sharing with roommates. the price difference is really insignificant.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
The landlord probably has copies of the bills. ASK. The landlord CAN get copies of the old bills from Con Ed. But he won't if you don't ask.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 AM

19,136 posts, read 32,681,385 times
i dont even think u should take the place....there's so many other places where heat and hot water are free....doesnt make sense to pay for that necessity when so many other people dont....i dont pay for electric or heat thankfully, but i used to and that ran me about an extra $100 a month, now i keep that money in my pocket.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
Seventh I understand you believe heat is "free" for you, but if you are not paying it directly to coned, you are paying it indirectly via a higher rent. For example, a place may rent for $1,400 without heat included, while a place with heat included could be $1,600. You are NEVER getting heat for free, it is just packaged into your rent. This is not always the case, as the housing projects and other subsidized developments via the city include utilities and you still pay an abysmally low rent, but most other places the heat is charged in the form of a higher rent.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 PM

thanks guys. I actually agree with sobroguy. I have two offers one studio is for 1300 a month, gas and electricty included but I have to pay extra for A/C. the other one is around 1250 without utilities. Actually, I like the second one better because it is in UES and in a very nice area. it is one of those pre war building on the fifth floor but still to me it is a steal because of its location in the 70s. the only problem is I am afraid that I might end up paying a lot for electricty since the heat is electric and even the stove is electric(

the other studio is in Yorkville. near east end Ave and 80. The landlord will make me sign a lease that I can't bring a heater in the apt or anything that might overload the wiring system in the building. but I think 1300 for rent + utilities is still a good deal.

Now, I am confused. help me guys. I need to make a decision.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 PM

295 posts, read 1,331,129 times
That sounds like a good deal.... esp in that area.
Ask to see the electric bill.
Worst case scenario... you learn how to conserve electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
thanks guys. I actually agree with sobroguy. I have two offers one studio is for 1300 a month, gas and electricty included but I have to pay extra for A/C. the other one is around 1250 without utilities. Actually, I like the second one better because it is in UES and in a very nice area. it is one of those pre war building on the fifth floor but still to me it is a steal because of its location in the 70s. the only problem is I am afraid that I might end up paying a lot for electricty since the heat is electric and even the stove is electric(

the other studio is in Yorkville. near east end Ave and 80. The landlord will make me sign a lease that I can't bring a heater in the apt or anything that might overload the wiring system in the building. but I think 1300 for rent + utilities is still a good deal.

Now, I am confused. help me guys. I need to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City