U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 02:12 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,770,880 times

Advertisements

I have another suggestion: take a look at the sticky at the top of the board entitled 'Need info on moving to NYC.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 PM

16 posts, read 72,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I have another suggestion: take a look at the sticky at the top of the board entitled 'Need info on moving to NYC.'
I'm been doing my best to sift through that post, but I was having a hard time finding information specific to the UES. It does seem like different neighborhoods have different features, etiquette, fees, atmosphere etc.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,542,109 times
>> What I'd like to know is what the atmosphere of the UES is like? What kind of people live there? How are the restaurants? Is it mellow at night, or frantic like other areas of NYC? What's the average rent for a 1 bed apartment in a walk-up building (we're hoping to pay about 2k)? Is the area pet friendly (we have a dog and two cats)? What is an average utility bill (gas and elec)?

1. The neighborhood west of Lexington skews to the older and richer. The neighborhood east is younger (but not signifying a party atmosphere) with more families and an upper middle class feel.

2. West of Lex there are extremely expensive traditional American restaurants; east there are plenty of casual places.

3. Mellow

4. You may be able to do even better than $2000 for a walk-up 1-bed now. You don't get much for a broker fee besides cutting corners in finding inventory. The best way to avoid is to seek out management offices of large apt buildings but this would preclude the walk-up types- These are possible to find without a broker just by walking around the neighborhood and looking for postings.

5. Pet-friendly- area is very pet friendly- but within buildings it goes building by building.

6. $100 average throughout the year; $50 fall/spring, could be $200 in summer/deep winter.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,366,180 times
hey cool i'm also going to be moving into a studio apt. in the upper east side this coming week! keep the info coming lol

Old 11-01-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
>> What I'd like to know is what the atmosphere of the UES is like? What kind of people live there? How are the restaurants? Is it mellow at night, or frantic like other areas of NYC? What's the average rent for a 1 bed apartment in a walk-up building (we're hoping to pay about 2k)? Is the area pet friendly (we have a dog and two cats)? What is an average utility bill (gas and elec)?

1. The neighborhood west of Lexington skews to the older and richer. The neighborhood east is younger (but not signifying a party atmosphere) with more families and an upper middle class feel.

2. West of Lex there are extremely expensive traditional American restaurants; east there are plenty of casual places.

3. Mellow

4. You may be able to do even better than $2000 for a walk-up 1-bed now. You don't get much for a broker fee besides cutting corners in finding inventory. The best way to avoid is to seek out management offices of large apt buildings but this would preclude the walk-up types- These are possible to find without a broker just by walking around the neighborhood and looking for postings.

5. Pet-friendly- area is very pet friendly- but within buildings it goes building by building.

6. $100 average throughout the year; $50 fall/spring, could be $200 in summer/deep winter.
Here's where it gets interesting. And I'm sure this will sound crazy .. but we're going to be getting a place before we arrive. We're done this every time we move. We arrange for a place and move in the day we arrive in town. We even managed this on a move from Jax, Fl. to London, UK!

Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,770,880 times
Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT rent without seeing the apartment first. You could easily end up with one of those walk ups with the tub in the kitchen. I'm not kidding, either.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT rent without seeing the apartment first. You could easily end up with one of those walk ups with the tub in the kitchen. I'm not kidding, either.
Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice. On the plus side, I actually have a good friend from high school who's hooked me up with his agent.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,542,109 times
There are ways to reduce the risk of moving to an apt without seeing it - ask for photos, ask locals what they know/think of the building, but you are taking extra risk trying to do this with a walk-up where the volatility of apartment conditions is significantly higher than with a post-war high-rise. I would ask this agent to quantify the quality of any apt he shows on a scale.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
There are ways to reduce the risk of moving to an apt without seeing it - ask for photos, ask locals what they know/think of the building, but you are taking extra risk trying to do this with a walk-up where the volatility of apartment conditions is significantly higher than with a post-war high-rise. I would ask this agent to quantify the quality of any apt he shows on a scale.
Oh, believe me when I say I'm going to do everything short of giving the agent a colonoscopy. As I said in my above post, I've done this in a many cities, even moving to another country with having seen the apartment in person (although I did see a slew of photos).

Old 11-01-2009, 03:03 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,566,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyas View Post
Oh, believe me when I say I'm going to do everything short of giving the agent a colonoscopy. As I said in my above post, I've done this in a many cities, even moving to another country with having seen the apartment in person (although I did see a slew of photos).
Be sure to look on Craigslist. I was looking at places there and saw really nice places on the UES.

Just select the "No Broker" option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City