U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 02:08 PM

16 posts, read 72,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Be sure to look on Craigslist. I was looking at places there and saw really nice places on the UES.

Just select the "No Broker" option.
This is interesting. I would have assumed that Craigslist would be the place to find the biggest rip-offs. But I've been wrong before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 02:09 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,743,597 times
I think Craigslist is very dicey. I've heard a lot of horror stories.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:11 PM

10,619 posts, read 20,750,046 times
I've heard alot of bait-and-switching going on on craigslist. That is definitely not the way to rent something sight-unseen! But it's fun to take a look just for the heck of it.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 PM

Yeah, I've never heard anything good about Craigslist, at least in terms of apartments or dating

Old 11-01-2009, 02:17 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,553,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyas View Post
Yeah, I've never heard anything good about Craigslist, at least in terms of apartments or dating
I found this for you as well. You'll like this. Don't ignore the resource based on what "you've heard". I've had success with CL from getting jobs, finding apartments in Chicago to buying and selling stuff. If I made all of my decisions based on what others say, I'd never get anywhere. Check it out YOURSELF.

Mod cut: No links to real estate sites per TOS No, this is not CL. Something Much better. :-)

Old 11-01-2009, 02:25 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,553,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyas View Post
This is interesting. I would have assumed that Craigslist would be the place to find the biggest rip-offs. But I've been wrong before!
Don't assume anything until you check it out.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I found this for you as well. You'll like this. Don't ignore the resource based on what "you've heard". I've had success with CL from getting jobs, finding apartments in Chicago to buying and selling stuff. If I made all of my decisions based on what others say, I'd never get anywhere. Check it out YOURSELF.
hello, the problem is she cannot check for herself because she plans to rent the apartment from afar. Certainly if she were here, there is no issue with checking out craigslist apartments except for the possibility of lost time and some aggravation. From afar, however, the risks are not worth it. This is the NYC forum. Have you ever looked for an a apartment in NYC?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Mod cut: No links to real estate sites per TOS No, this is not CL. Something Much better. :-)
I checked it out. It has a good search, but only produced 4 apartments that fit my criteria, and none of them featured pictures.

Anyone have any recommendations for post-war high rises in the UES?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Don't assume anything until you check it out.
Ordinarily, this might be decent advice. But not on this topic, not in NYC and not under these circumstances. Sorry.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:51 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,538,917 times
> Anyone have any recommendations for post-war high rises in the UES?

There are a million of them. No way to answer an open-ended question like this. For example, in my building, a 10-12 year old mid-rise, there is a one-bedroom available (3rd floor, so subject to traffic noise) for $2650 w/2 free months - that's $2200 effectively in an above avg nice fairly new building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City