U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:09 PM

16 posts, read 72,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
> Anyone have any recommendations for post-war high rises in the UES?

There are a million of them. No way to answer an open-ended question like this. For example, in my building, a 10-12 year old mid-rise, there is a one-bedroom available (3rd floor, so subject to traffic noise) for $2650 w/2 free months - that's $2200 effectively in an above avg nice fairly new building.
Well, I'd be looking for something 2000-2200, I couldn't go as high as 2650. It'd have to be a 1 bed, pet friendly (I have one dog and two cats), and preferably and older building. That was part of the reason I was keen on a walk-up. Given the sketchiness of the walk-up idea, something like a 1950's-60's high rise would fit the bill. I'd like the building to have some character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:14 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
I think walk-ups are FINE - but you will likely have to go through a broker. As you possibly will with any other apartment. There are too many scams going on these days to trust people who 'say' they're landlords. I think your budget will be treated more kindly in a walk-up, as a matter of fact.

Walkups are also generally OLDER buildings with superior soundproofing (real plaster walls!) and character in the moldings, etc.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:17 PM

16 posts, read 72,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I think walk-ups are FINE - but you will likely have to go through a broker. As you possibly will with any other apartment. There are too many scams going on these days to trust people who 'say' they're landlords. I think your budget will be treated more kindly in a walk-up, as a matter of fact.

Walkups are also generally OLDER buildings with superior soundproofing (real plaster walls!) and character in the moldings, etc.
That was the way I did it in London. We use an estate agent and got ourselves in a great Georgian era building. We never heard our neighbors.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:40 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,531,740 times
There are some nice walk-ups in the city, so don't despair when you hear that term. There are some walk-ups that are actually luxury apartments, as a friend was renting one in the Carnegie Hill neighborhood for around $3k/mo (or a little more) for a 1BR. Not all are bad, and if you have the stamina, the upper floors are generally much less expensive, though you do get a workout every time you need to get back upstairs.

One suggestion, since your friend recommended an agent, I assume that they are in NYC. Would they be amenable to searching out the apartments with the agent and giving you their honest opinion? It can really make the difference to have a friend whom you trust to check things out.

Craigslist can be a mixed bag, both a resource for individual owners, and for some brokers, but there are also some dubious listings that can be misrepresentations, despite the pictures posted to the site. Things such as a "quiet" apartment with a "view" in a "charming, older building," for example can turn out to be a converted railroad flat on the second floor above an all-night dance club. It's "quiet" during the day, and the "view" is of the club goers, and one's definition of charm is another's definition of potentially vermin-infested hovel. It's all in the details, and with legitimate brokers, you do have recourse, which is why it may not be a bad idea to pay the fee when you need to find an apartment from a distance.

Some apartments are also exclusives, and are not listed on any multiple listing service, so the only way to get into one of these is to go through the broker. I would not recommend taking a chance on anything that cannot be investigated in person, and since you have a recommendation for a broker whom your friend has used with satisfactory results, I would exploit that resource if I were in the position of searching from a distance.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-01-2009, 10:36 PM

581 posts, read 548,042 times
you are very brave to think about renting an apt in NYC without seeing it in person
anyway, yes, you can rent an apt in NYC without a broker. It will just take longer. I am in the process of searching for a studio in UES and I have lived there for 4 years. It is a very nice area and you will not regret it. I would be happy to give you some more info about management companies that offer apts in UES.

I am just curious why don't you stay in a hotel for a few days till you go and see your apt? you could narrow down your search to a few apts. once you are in NY, you can stay in a hotel for a few days, go and see your apts and pick one. but again, that is just me. I don't know if you would like to do that. it is just an idea.
you could PM me and i will send you what I have.

Good luck

Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 PM

11,672 posts, read 21,240,989 times
Do you or your spouse really not have time to send 1 of you to NYC for a quick weekend trip to apartment hunt? I am from Dallas (and back in Dallas now), but lived in NYC for four years, leaving in 2006.

In my apartmet hunts in NYC (Upper East Side, where I lived), I saw everything from the bathtub being in the kitchen (toilet was in a pantry/ closet) to a perfectly nice unit that reeked to high heaven. These were in the prime East 70s, too. If you are looking for "charm", you'll want a pre-war highrise or a walk up. The 1950s-1960s buildings aren't exactly cool "mid-century modern" architecture, for the most part.

Also, has your broker indicated any concerns with the amount of paperwork you'll have to provide to secure an apartment long-distance? It is far harder to get an apartment in NYC than get a mortgage anywhere else. 2 years of tax returns, 2-6 months of brokerage and bank statements, employment veri letter, last few payroll stubs, plus 2 months rent, application & credit check fees and broker's fee, if applicable. I can just imagine this being a huge pain long distance.

You will love the UES. It's pretty, clean, and peaceful. Proximity to the East River promenade and Central Park is fantastic. Lots of great neighborhood restaurants and everything you need on your block- dry cleaners, pizza, nail salon, bodega, drug store. I've been back in Dallas for three years and my dry cleaner here still asks my name every darn time I go in there. In NYC, I knew my dry cleaner's kids names! It's definitely a great neighborhood- a NYC classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City