U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,256,372 times

Advertisements

Outdoorsy and into music? How about Nashville nah i never really visited that city but if U are from Atl it could work for u.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:34 PM

9,833 posts, read 21,526,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowthisplaceisbig View Post
Thanks guys!

I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. Its difficult because my family and friends that live here just CAN'T imagine living anywhere else!!! Every time I say that I'm not digging it, they tell me I'm crazy "its New YORK, the greatest city in the world!! Its just your first year you'll learn to love it." But no... I don't think I will ever love it. I am just too laid back, I just don't find joy in having my face in a man's armpit on the way to and from work on the L... The smells of Brooklyn, the dirty warehouse parties (were cool at first), inhaling fumes as I race the J train on my bike going over the Williamsburg Bridge (still has to be one of my favorite things to do though), Did I mention trying to get to Central Park with my girl while the Puerto Rican Parade was happening? She started crying... I could go on for a while.
I don't regret it, I think everybody should do it, I'm pretty sure it has made me stronger, more resourceful, i've grownup a lot... But I think sometimes you just have to say that the challenge isn't worth it, its gotten to the point where its not making me stronger anymore its making bitter and broke. BITTER AND BROKE I tell you!

TunaBoy - your right. As much as I loved the outdoors in Cali, I didn't really dig the L.A. sprawl and traffic.

Austin however was one of my favorite cities I've been to. Seattle too, I have a girl I love very much in Seattle. Does anybody know if Seattles music scene has died after the 90's, has Austin's surpassed it? I am attracted to Seattle for the trees, ocean and skiing, and oh yeah that girl I let get away a year ago But Austin I know is cheaper... and sunnier.
Lol, sorry but that was a classic noob non-native move you pulled trying to go to Central Park during the PR parade. Maybe your problem is that you haven't really gotten to know this city. You might think your really experiencing New York but maybe you haven't. You know as they say, to know her is to love her...

For alternatives I would also suggest San Fran. It's like a much smaller, way more laid back less in your face NYC. It's pricey though. Also I've heard Seattle weather isn't as bad as people make out to be, that it doesn't rain as much as people think, but it's just cloudy a lot.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 11-02-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,848 times
New York being "stressing" is so over-exaggerated.

I don't find it hectic. Well at least in my neighborhood, it's very laid back; boho but in a very upscale way. If I want hectic, I go to midtown.

My life has never been simpler since moving to New York.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 12,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Lol, sorry but that was a classic noob non-native move you pulled trying to go to Central Park during the PR parade. Maybe your problem is that you haven't really gotten to know this city. You might think your really experiencing New York but maybe you haven't. You know as they say, to know her is to love her...

For alternatives I would also suggest San Fran. It's like a much smaller, way more laid back less in your face NYC. It's pricey though. Also I've heard Seattle weather isn't as bad as people make out to be, that it doesn't rain as much as people think, but it's just cloudy a lot.
Haha! I know it was a SERIOUS newbie mistake. I was just referencing certain memories that stand out to me. Given I work in Union Square and ride the L every morning and afternoon, plus the recession, it is probably more hectic for me than it is for most, and others have found their peace and calm. Like I said earlier I WANT to like it soo bad. But, no doubt, its killing my soul, yup

Old 11-02-2009, 03:10 PM

548 posts, read 1,079,906 times
New York is the best city in the world, to me. It has everything you can imagine...but maybe try living in a different borough, like somewhere in queens where it's less crowded.

P.S. There's plenty of nature in NYC, you just have to look outside of Manhattan.

Pelham bay park
Mod cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-02-2009 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 15,533 times
Nope. Nyc won't get any better than the first year, unless you win the lottery. Other than that, you'll probably be living in a tiny, expensive apartment from day one. If you don't like Nyc now, then you probably won't like it tomorrow or the next day. I would move.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM

940 posts, read 2,717,647 times
Try Astoria or even Jersey City(around Grove St area), you may like those areas better as they are less gritty but still has a happening scene that is less abrasive than Williamsburg. Most likely NYC isn't for you. I 2nd whomever said Austin, if you work in music, its huge for music, much cheaper to live and your quality of life will be better if you don't have much money. The job market there isn't the best though(like everywhere else).
Good Luck, don't feel bad, NYC isn't for everyone.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,705 times
Thumbs up I'm you, but a girl!

Hey there, I tried to respond and this thing ate my response...

either way. I'm the same age, from MS (family in Atlanta and a bro at emory, who knew?).... hate the city and doing great here... Money isn't the issue, it's quality of life.

also, my beau is in Vancouver so I too am thinking about Portland or Seattle! fancy that?!

I did want to say....in the midst of my boxes and packing... I am moving. My health is not happy here... I find myself upstate all the time in nature (REAL nature folks, not central nasty park) ... and really like traveling so money for that cannot much be saved here in nyc. I'm moving to a hot converted barn/loft on a beautiful 100 acres...about 90 miles north of NYC. I can get here when I want...IF I want. no worries.

the city will always be here.
it will whisper to you that you need it... but you really don't. I lined up even more work upstate and can't wait. I move Wednesday.

hey, email me if you want to talk city- moving or life outside of here or... moving to the west coast. cheers! Mod cut: not a good idea

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-03-2009 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: It's NOT a good idea to put your email address online. For so many reasons. Especially a woman.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 8,429 times
My first year in NYC was very difficult and I started to get bitter but after I made it through my first year, I loved everything NYC! There is no where better in this beautiful country of ours. If you don't give yourself a little more time, I think you could really regret it! My humble opinion, of course.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,694,093 times
Central "nasty" park? Oh give me a BREAK! It's a PARK, not a reserve!! And it is far from Nasty. THAT kind of negativity is a reverse validation of your desire to leave. Something does not have to be horrible for you not to like it you know!!!!

As for the first year thing? The only thing it is really telling you is that your situation is not right for you. If you can find a place a bit further out, maybe even up in Yonkers or out in a 'burb of NJ, that is still EASILY commutable, you can afford a better lifestyle (1-2 roomates rather than 8, Progresso rather than Ramen) that will put less pressure on you having to like everything else in NYC to counterbalance the bad experiences.

Look around. This is your first time in the city, keep your posession pack light and start moving around once one lease is up. Try that a few times and you may find the niche youfit in rather than the one you are trying to force yourself to fit.

Or leave! This is not a test.

Just list the things you like and do not like about the city, and see if there is a way to keep the one and lessen the others. Then also ask yourself, can you completely give up the positives? Is there anything about the city that you really like and will miss when you leave? (The $5 vietnamese sandwiche in the village? The cheap (but authentic and tasty) food in Chinatown? the ability to walk into almost ANY pizzaria and get a slace that kicks Domino's butt? (Hell, even the 99 cent piece places out on 8th avenue and 42nd, and the other at 43rd (I think) and near 3rd are better than the chains!!!).

I am not saying you should stay, but if you really want to make sure it is the right choice, do not be afraid to hop around. It will be some work, but few things in life that are worth keeping/staying with are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City