U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,705 times

Advertisements

hey there,

ok sorry if the nasty thing was a little too far. I do love NYC. I visited annually when I lived in MS...and still will! There is no place on earth like nyc... always will hold a special place for me... and god bless all of you who can live here happily, well and for good.

I have to get out for myself...just like anyone else, the decision to stay or go would have to be one made with enough thought and consideration for your own situation, tolerances and desires for life. You choose! We are all lucky I think in NYC and the surrounding areas (even some of CT and NJ) ...that we can have a quiet wilderness and a major city so close. Good luck to all

c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,845,721 times
To the OP, no place with worth struggling for, even NYC. NYC, is a great place, but you don't want to live like that in order to enjoy it. If you still like living in this area, I would say look towards to suburbs, like North Jersey. Don't let anyone fool you; you can still enjoy NYC and all that it has to offer, and still come to Jersey. Or, if you're not digging the Tri-State. Then I guess it's back to California. Hey, I hear the Bay Area, is sort of like New York.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,694,093 times
SIlk, the Bay Area is great, but harder to get around w/o a car, and just as expensive unless you know the ins-and-outs.

It seems a LOT less pressured though. I just wish the two were closer together!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:39 PM

583 posts, read 1,115,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
SIlk, the Bay Area is great, but harder to get around w/o a car, and just as expensive unless you know the ins-and-outs.

It seems a LOT less pressured though. I just wish the two were closer together!!!
I agree. Bay Area especially SF won't be a good choice for the OP as COL there is second to NYC. There are cheaper places in more residential city areas or in the burbs, but public transportation in Bay Area doesn't hold a candle to NYC and you may find yourself pretty limited in the far out areas of the city or the burbs. After living in NYC it will be tough to adjust to the public transit in the Bay Area, there is no subway. The bus system is ok in the city and is useful for commute to downtown, but it's not as convenient as subway. MUNI trams are slightly better and faster but the service is very limited to certain parts of the city. BART is a light rail mainly used for suburb to city commute, but only serves East Bay, most other suburbs are not served and traffic is horrendous. I find myself driving in SF every time I go back, it's much more convenient than public transportation which is the opposite for the NYC area.

I don't know how much more laid back SF would be if the OP is going to be struggling there to make the ends meet, the lifestyle may not change much. Seattle or even Portland are better choices IMO.

Nothing is going to be like NYC, there is no other city like this, most other cities you'd go in the US would feel deserted after being in NYC. So will SF, it's busiest bustling areas empty out in the evenings after tourists and shoppers leave. But maybe this is what the OP is looking for. Seattle, is actually pretty vibrant, it has lots to do plus great outdoors and unbelievably beautiful nature. there is a pretty strong independent theater scene and music scene there too (at least from my impression as a consumer). there are also many cool neighborhoods that are both laid back and hip and cheaper than yuppie Belltown/downtown area. Portland has some of that too and even cheaper than Seattle.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM

10,637 posts, read 20,778,169 times
I think anyone would be miserable with 8 roommates and one bathroom in Bushwick...unless this is an exaggeration.

I saw a NY Times article once about these plywood boxes that were being built in lofts in Bushwick just so multiple roommates could live in one apartment and share rent. They looked horrible, like living in a rabbit cage. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/nyregion/07lofts.html

I think prices have been inflated for these places. Can I ask how much your monthly rent is? If it is in the $500-$600 range, there are plenty of better roommate situations in unhip Queens for that price, which are still easily commutable to Union Square. you might be happier if you had a real place to live.

Good luck with your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowthisplaceisbig View Post
Hi,
Big decisions to be made, and I thought I'd consult with you peoples

25 yrs. Originally from Atlanta, I moved here bright eyed and bushy tailed in January (from California).

I did the whole first year in NYC thing, you know, 8 roomates with 1 bathroom in Bushwick, I now live in a closet in Williamsburg, eating lots of canned food and Ramen noodles, you know the story...

Question...

Do I hate this place because I'm still in my first year? Did everybody hate this place their first year? Yeah the night life is amazing, the culture and everything is second to none, the opportunities for work are endless (I just got laid off - long story but it is a good thing and not a factor in this. I found a job after being here 2 weeks in JANUARY when it was all crashing down. I'm not too worried about finding another). But I'm kind of outdoorsy and more and more I see myself walking around Manhattan and wanting to jump on the first Metro Rail out of here to anywhere with trees and less people. But everybody says the first year is really hard. The first 5 months were a honeymoon phase, the last 5 I have become really bitter and depressed. Do you get used to it?!?! I'm usually a VERY happy person, but its fading quickly.

transplants that have stayed or gone - Is this normal your first year or is NYC just not for me??? I can't tell because everybody says the first year is hard. Tell me your stories!!

All I want to do is leave, but theres so much oppourtunity here I work in music. But does that even matter when you get SO excited about leaving?!?! (i get out for a weekend about every month or two as friends suggested)

I WANT to like it here soooooo bad, but I feel this place is eating my soul...

Old 11-03-2009, 03:34 PM

8,140 posts, read 12,532,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowthisplaceisbig View Post
Hi,
Big decisions to be made, and I thought I'd consult with you peoples

25 yrs. Originally from Atlanta, I moved here bright eyed and bushy tailed in January (from California).

I did the whole first year in NYC thing, you know, 8 roomates with 1 bathroom in Bushwick, I now live in a closet in Williamsburg, eating lots of canned food and Ramen noodles, you know the story...

Question...

Do I hate this place because I'm still in my first year? Did everybody hate this place their first year? Yeah the night life is amazing, the culture and everything is second to none, the opportunities for work are endless (I just got laid off - long story but it is a good thing and not a factor in this. I found a job after being here 2 weeks in JANUARY when it was all crashing down. I'm not too worried about finding another). But I'm kind of outdoorsy and more and more I see myself walking around Manhattan and wanting to jump on the first Metro Rail out of here to anywhere with trees and less people. But everybody says the first year is really hard. The first 5 months were a honeymoon phase, the last 5 I have become really bitter and depressed. Do you get used to it?!?! I'm usually a VERY happy person, but its fading quickly.

transplants that have stayed or gone - Is this normal your first year or is NYC just not for me??? I can't tell because everybody says the first year is hard. Tell me your stories!!

All I want to do is leave, but theres so much oppourtunity here I work in music. But does that even matter when you get SO excited about leaving?!?! (i get out for a weekend about every month or two as friends suggested)

I WANT to like it here soooooo bad, but I feel this place is eating my soul...
You should be worried. NY has one of the highest unemployment rates. I have been looking for a new job for a year and half already. It isn't easy to come by a job here. I admire your optimism, but the reality is that you will probably be unemployed for a long time if you stayed here and your money would deplete incredibly fast, as this is an expensive city. If you aren't making a middle-class salary, sad to say, this probably isn't where you should be living.

best of luck and hope you find the perfect fit.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,524,657 times
People cycle in and out of NY constantly--it is most definitely not for everyone. Of all the people I knew years ago who lived there, at least half of them have moved away. And I don't mean out to the suburbs, I mean to other states or countries.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,365,544 times
i had a cousin who moved here and hated it the first 6 months, and then totally fell in love with it! of course he was financially really well off so that helped, lol.

but i guess its your situation - maybe you should try to get a job that maybe pays more or perhaps live in the 'burbs...that or move some place else

wish you the best!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:04 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,212,822 times
Yes. NYC is the best city! However if you do not have money is bad to live in NY. Everything is so expensive.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,694,093 times
Jdawg, I think the OP is not in a field that is being hurt by this. I believe they may be working at a non-professional level (just guessing) and as such, there are plenty of hard-working jobs in the city. You just have to do more for less....

Last edited by Ninjahedge; 11-04-2009 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City