Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:36 PM

656 posts, read 1,417,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
To each their own but I don't think it's worth it. I'm pretty sick of Staten Island and NYC in general.
Staten Island and the rest of NYC are completely different, I am not sure what you are pretty sick of , SI is often called the "dead end of the city" meaning its not like the rest of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire.belle View Post
Hey there, I tried to respond and this thing ate my response...

either way. I'm the same age, from MS (family in Atlanta and a bro at emory, who knew?).... hate the city and doing great here... Money isn't the issue, it's quality of life.

also, my beau is in Vancouver so I too am thinking about Portland or Seattle! fancy that?!

I did want to say....in the midst of my boxes and packing... I am moving. My health is not happy here... I find myself upstate all the time in nature (REAL nature folks, not central nasty park) ... and really like traveling so money for that cannot much be saved here in nyc. I'm moving to a hot converted barn/loft on a beautiful 100 acres...about 90 miles north of NYC. I can get here when I want...IF I want. no worries.

the city will always be here.
it will whisper to you that you need it... but you really don't. I lined up even more work upstate and can't wait. I move Wednesday.

hey, email me if you want to talk city- moving or life outside of here or... moving to the west coast. cheers! Mod cut: not a good idea

Quality of life? As if atlanta, seattle and portland have so much better quality of life than new york city, other cities, its one thing to prefer a more ruralized lifestyle but then its easy to spot a a bit of hyprocrisy when someone exaggerates and tries to say this city that city.

Atlanta, seattle, and portland and not known for their 100 acre homes and new york city is more than just central park and manhattan, its newbies that often generate stereotypical comments and mislead people which can be explained but usually you should hold a bit before offering advice.

Upstate NY does have its economic issues as does portland , seattle not as bad of course, but its another big city and it does have weather issues so a person who craves that big city from nyc to seattle does not have in common with living on a barn.

I felt the wisdom to point this out, more uprising is the issue that money isn't the issue when he/she can live in a lot of nearby areas of the nyc area which many residents do and don't really complain about quality of life since they were mislead into renting a studio in upcoming but not yet stable or gentrified neighboorhood or a more prime neighboorhood or one that people told them it was hip and chic and overrated like Williamsburg which gets less movement and business and hence pricing has fallen.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 PM

24 posts, read 43,968 times
Well, Im originally a NYer and I moved to PA but I miss NY soooooooooooo much. I was living in BK, as well. I think u should give it some time. Anywhere u move for the first year is hard. When I left Ny for the first year it was difficult finding my footing. U just have the right area to live in. Williamsburg is very overrated and in my opinion overpriced. I only left Ny b/c I wanted to get away from other things but had it not been for that, I would still be there. Give it the rest of the yar and if u still hate it then its just not for u.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:26 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,043,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowthisplaceisbig View Post
Question...

Do I hate this place because I'm still in my first year? Did everybody hate this place their first year? Yeah the night life is amazing, the culture and everything is second to none, the opportunities for work are endless (I just got laid off - long story but it is a good thing and not a factor in this. I found a job after being here 2 weeks in JANUARY when it was all crashing down. I'm not too worried about finding another). But I'm kind of outdoorsy and more and more I see myself walking around Manhattan and wanting to jump on the first Metro Rail out of here to anywhere with trees and less people. But everybody says the first year is really hard. The first 5 months were a honeymoon phase, the last 5 I have become really bitter and depressed. Do you get used to it?!?! I'm usually a VERY happy person, but its fading quickly.

transplants that have stayed or gone - Is this normal your first year or is NYC just not for me??? I can't tell because everybody says the first year is hard. Tell me your stories!!

All I want to do is leave, but theres so much oppourtunity here I work in music. But does that even matter when you get SO excited about leaving?!?! (i get out for a weekend about every month or two as friends suggested)

I WANT to like it here soooooo bad, but I feel this place is eating my soul...
If you are having those problems, than it certainly won't get better for you, it will only get worse.

I have the opposite problem. WHen I'm in boring quiet dull places, I just want to run for the city as soon as possible.

I lived in NYC for a few years, and the first year was by far the best, and slowly it became too familiar and not as interesting, and after a few years, decided to try to experience other and different places.

BUT, I ALWAYS loved living and being in NYC...I loved everything about it. I'd love to find a NY equivalent in a warmer climate though!

But, in your case, sounds like you prefer the opposite, and if you do, then staying longer in NYC won't suddenly change your interests/needs.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 AM

341 posts, read 900,914 times
If you don't love NYC then you should leave and free up one spot for a true lover. It's not for everyone. If you love more countrified surroundings, and many do, let your heart be your guide.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:57 PM

186 posts, read 425,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
As an ex NYer who grew up there and moved to Cali, I would say move. Its not gonna get much better. After living there for awhile.eventually you realize the city gets a little glamorized on TV. It has its good but to be honest, with the exception of a few single people here and there, only couples who combine to have an upper middle class salary can really enjoy that city without being strapped for cash or live comfortably. I don't know one single person in that city who owns any property unless they inherited it. NYC is a great little vacation,but living there and living there comfortably is a completely different ball of wax
Wow, lots of folks speaking from my heart here. The first thing I thought after a few months of living here was "overrated". The food is not all that great and the culture leaves much to be desired because it's not authentic...I also grew up in NJ, moved to California for several years and I am back here in NY, mainly because that's where the job was. I would go back to Cali in a second if I could find a comparable job at a comparable salary (and not pay Manhattan rent, etc.).

Old 11-14-2009, 09:02 AM

403 posts, read 1,391,175 times
For me NYC is unlike anywhere on earth. The greatest place. I can't live anywhere else. But it's a huge, gritty big busy city. If you're not a city person, and I mean, CITY person, I can't imagine why you would like it here. This isnt the kind of place where you can kick around on the outskirts and still be inthe mix. It's just too big.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephil View Post
Wow, lots of folks speaking from my heart here. The first thing I thought after a few months of living here was "overrated". The food is not all that great and the culture leaves much to be desired because it's not authentic...I also grew up in NJ, moved to California for several years and I am back here in NY, mainly because that's where the job was. I would go back to Cali in a second if I could find a comparable job at a comparable salary (and not pay Manhattan rent, etc.).
The "food is not that great"?, Manhattan and the new york region have a much wider selection than may places, its people who are either displaced or in denial and like to shift the blame game or are newbies (the person said they only lived for a few months), if anything people could say that cali's food is overrated although I don't believe that, people may be more of will to say that, how many resturants or places have you eaten at, that alone should call the person's comments into question.

As far as "authentic" how do you find "authentic culture", there isn't really such a thing especially if a city has many diverse cultures.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:40 AM

331 posts, read 671,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If you are having those problems, than it certainly won't get better for you, it will only get worse.

I have the opposite problem. WHen I'm in boring quiet dull places, I just want to run for the city as soon as possible.

I lived in NYC for a few years, and the first year was by far the best, and slowly it became too familiar and not as interesting, and after a few years, decided to try to experience other and different places.

BUT, I ALWAYS loved living and being in NYC...I loved everything about it. I'd love to find a NY equivalent in a warmer climate though!

But, in your case, sounds like you prefer the opposite, and if you do, then staying longer in NYC won't suddenly change your interests/needs.
Really? I'm talking about the "warmer climate" comment. Do you really think nyc would feel the same if you could pick it up and throw in Florida, or Texas, or Arizona? Ain't a lot of movies made in nyc, made in the fall or winter? How about a Woody Allen film where everyone is in shorts and tank tops? Would Xmas in nyc feel the same in a tropical climate? Or not being able to see all the trees change colors in Central Park during the fall.

Me personally, I'd never want to deal with nyc summers year around.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:02 AM

331 posts, read 671,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephil View Post
Depending how old you are, and how much you've seen and done, will determine how quick you are to think nyc is "overrated". I personally have never eaten at any of the fancy 5 star restaurants in Mannhattan. I'm sure they're as great as everyone says they are. But I don't have that kinda of money to blow on a meal. It amazes me that people can drop a grand on dinner and whine, and not think twice about it. For those people, there ain't many other cities besides LA, SF, and maybe a couple others that could keep them happy with upscale entertainment. But for your avg wage earner?

I too think the food is HIGHLY "overrated" in nyc. Remember now, I'm talking about take out, or dishes under $20 bucs. I don't like to, and rarely do, spend more than say $60 bucs or so on a date for a meal. And after I've been with the woman awhile, that even drops (the honeymoon is over).

I'd go as far to say, nyc has some of the worse take-out food outside of the sunbelt cities. I really believe that the high volume that nyc restaurants recieve, allows them to sacrafice quality. Where as smaller cities have to work harder to produce better food to stay in business. I've eaten more crappy pizza in nyc than anywhere else. I've also had some great pizza there, but overall, thumbs down. NYC recieves over 40 million visiters a year, believe me, a lot of those people have eaten food that they didn't like. But they ate at them places cause they didn't know any better.

You could probably make a fortune selling the world's 'worst' hot dogs in Times Square. You'd have so many tourist eating your dogs, who cares if they ever bought another dog off you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City