U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,840 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm thinking about moving to New York and my job would be located at 55th and Madison.
The question is where to find the cheapest room (preferably furnished and access to bath/kitchen) as close to work as possible.

Are the mass room rental sites littered on craigslist legitimate? Or not worth my time?

My next question is how to find roommates or if it's appropriate to ask around for rooms for rent on this particular website.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 04:55 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,658,054 times
I would steer clear of Craigs List --- way too many scammers on there.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,646,884 times
Craigslist is great for roommates, it's the stand-alone apartments that are sketchy.

If you do get a roommate through Craigslist, I've personally done it three times, it's a very quick thing. You have to be already in the city because the apartments move fast. I usually sent an email, had an answer within and day, met the potential roommate, and if we clicked, moved in a few days later.

In a city like Minneapolis, for example, people would plan their moves months in advance. It was very hard to find an apartment without 3 months notice there. New York is completely different. People move all the time. People lose roommates for all sorts of reasons and have to find a quick replacement.

The trick is don't bring a lot of stuff with you initially. Just clothes and a laptop if possible. If it doesn't work out, you can move on without much fuss.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,840 times
So it sounds like anything with a company or multi-room offer situation is to be avoided on Craigslist. I'll just have to wade thru the junk then.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or