U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 AM

122 posts, read 496,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
There are many sketchy areas in Manhattan... that have no analog in San Diego
On the island of Manhattan, lower than the Upper West and East sides (not including Harlem, Inwood, etc.), which neighborhoods would currently qualify as sketchy/ bad? Are any in this portion of Manhattan worse than the worst of San Diego? Is the East Village, for instance, consistently more dangerous than the average Manhattan neighborhood? The Lower East Side? Is either worse than, say, San Diego's City Heights?

Or, is it simply a case of random violent crimes pervading any and all neighborhoods such as in the recent case of an Upper East Side woman who was punched in the face and pistol-whipped whilst strolling down Park Avenue and robbed of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry and cash -- all right there in plain view of passers-by in broad daylight?

Are there any sanctuaries in Manhattan? Any oases of relative peace and tranquility? The West Village perhaps?

Last edited by Laocoön; 11-23-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:05 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,192,525 times
You can get "robbed" anywhere.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:40 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,320,727 times
[SIZE=3]That is so true. When I first moved here a few months ago I would get freaked out by everything. Now I’m more confident. The best example of this was when I went to visit a friend who lived near Amsterdam houses. I didn’t know this and when I got there I was all afraid to walk down the street because “they” where all playing outside. I asked a near by police officer if I would be ok to walk through and he said “of course you are. This is mostly families just walk down the middle of the street” and look at me im still here today! And I go visit my friend all the time and the worst that has happened to me so far is someone yelled “hey baby” to me. [/SIZE]

Old 11-23-2009, 10:19 PM

8,148 posts, read 25,642,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
On the island of Manhattan, lower than the Upper West and East sides (not including Harlem, Inwood, etc.), which neighborhoods would currently qualify as sketchy/ bad? Are any in this portion of Manhattan worse than the worst of San Diego? Is the East Village, for instance, consistently more dangerous than the average Manhattan neighborhood? The Lower East Side? Is either worse than, say, San Diego's City Heights?
Pretty much everything below Harlem, even much of LES is highly gentrified and safer than City Heights. However if you look at the crime numbers, you will see that a ton of crime still happens in Manhattan, even in the best areas. Remember most people *walk* everywhere in Manhattan - when's the last time you walked the streets of San Diego to get anywhere? Perception from a car is a whole lot different than perception from a sidewalk. In that regard, much of San Diego "feels" sketchy on the streets.

It's all a question of your perception of safety. City Heights definitely "feels" sketchy in a way Manhattan doesn't. But in terms of raw numbers, there are probably more crimes in Manhattan occurring at any given time. And while random violent crimes occasionally do occur in Manhattan's best areas, they happen in San Diego too - there is constant crime in nice areas like Carlsbad, Hillcrest, all over San Diego.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 28,349 times
yeah, think long and hard before attempting a stunt like that..I paid 1275 per month for a moldy basement closet until I got tired and moved..Now I live Ct for the same amount of money and am able to rent a full 2 bedroom house for the same price.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM

12 posts, read 22,497 times
Mott Haven by 138th and Alexander next to the Bruckner Bar and Grill. Great up and coming artist community. Mod cut: NO links to specific properties.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-25-2009 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: NO ads and NO links to specific properties.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:29 PM

27 posts, read 194,263 times
I live in Weehawken NJ and pay just less than $1000 i work in soho which is a few stop before that area i have a 30 min commute door to door. you might consider Jersey City for a shorter commute. im from california and used to have a 10 min commute to work but honestly you get used to the longer commutes pretty fast and because you're not driving its not nearly as stressfull just ipod and zone out and next thing you know your there. once you get here and live here a little while 30 mins will seem like nothing. you should def not rule out Jersey though. Initially i firmly wanted to live in Manhattan but now that i actually live here I PREFER living in Jersey and working in the city. I have all the malls and big box stores that im used to near home and faced paced city living a 10 minute bus ride away. in Jersey City you'd have the PATH train witch takes you right into lower manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or