Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 04:06 PM

36 posts, read 72,788 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My brother is living in Oregon right now and just got his personal training licence. He was offered a job in NYC, but he is only guaranteed 20 hrs/week at minimum wage. Once he can build up a personal training clientèle, he will make better wages (around 30/hr and up for each hour he does personal training).

My question: How should he even get started on the moving process? He would basically be moving with just a luggage suitcase -- thats it. He is hoping to rent a room, or find a roommate (something furnished).

Where do we look? Craigslist doesn't seem to be of much help - its hard to tell what's a scam and what's not.

How much money do you need to realistically live in NYC each month if you are renting a room?

How feasible is it to move to NYC without much in savings?

Thanks for any advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:04 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,427,626 times
20 hours/wk making minimum wage ($7.25/hr) wouldn't even be enough for him to live. $7.25 x 20 = $145.00 minus taxes (about $15?) is about $130 take home pay. A room rental would probably be $150/wk (maybe more). He'll also need to eat, have a MetroCard to get to/from work, laundry money, money for personal items, etc. If he's thinking about getting a room mate, he's still not making enough.

He's going to have to get another job (probably full time) in addition to the p/t job at the gym until he builds up his client base and gets more money from that if he wants to survive here comfortably..

Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,961,227 times
Yea... minimum wage is enough if you're only paying phone bills, and internet and buying food or clothes... not even close to enough to afford an apartment though.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM

582 posts, read 758,782 times
hostels maybe?? but I hear from people who lived there it is not a good situation. you basically share a room with 10-15 people. your brother has to get another job to survive in NYC.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,288,279 times
My friend, A native New Yorker moved back to NYC to be a trainer and barely kept his head above water. He had a ton of clients at one point but they couldnt keep up with the ridiculous club fees. SOmewhere in the neighborhood of 1000k every 2 weeks. And this was a guy who actually looked like trainer with huge ripped arms and abs. ANyway, after a year, he moved back out of NYC to be trainer in a cheaper state. Just something to keep in mind

Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Don't move here on minimum wage.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:22 PM

227 posts, read 818,761 times
Your friend should study up on marketing (specifically internet marketing) and just go independent. Even a newbie trainer can charge $50+/hr. (I did) and more realistically once you gain some confidence $80+/hr. To avoid the club fees, target people who live in luxury apartments at first where you can get free access to the equipment.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:23 PM

582 posts, read 758,782 times
where I go to work out , the trainers charge 100 dollars an hour. some charge more.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,136,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1983 View Post
Hi everyone. My brother is living in Oregon right now and just got his personal training licence. He was offered a job in NYC, but he is only guaranteed 20 hrs/week at minimum wage. Once he can build up a personal training clientèle, he will make better wages (around 30/hr and up for each hour he does personal training).

My question: How should he even get started on the moving process? He would basically be moving with just a luggage suitcase -- thats it. He is hoping to rent a room, or find a roommate (something furnished).

Where do we look? Craigslist doesn't seem to be of much help - its hard to tell what's a scam and what's not.

How much money do you need to realistically live in NYC each month if you are renting a room?

How feasible is it to move to NYC without much in savings?

Thanks for any advice!!!
Please do not move to NYC without savings..... It will be hard enough if he gets a part time job at minimum wage. I can't imagine in what condition he would be living with little or no savings out here. Minimum wage is like having transportation money or lunch money in your pocket but not close enough for rent or any necessities you might have to live off of on a monthly basis.

Believe me or not there are a lot of kids who come down here with little or no savings, no job, no place to really call their own and wind up living in Washington Square Park... not a pretty site. So please rethink what the situation might turn out to be if it doesn't work out off of minimum wage......

Good Luck to him

Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,989,803 times
Minimum wage part-time in the most expensive city in the country = No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City