Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what subway I can take from grand central to get to 149th and grand concourse and I wanted to know if there is a train going to grand central from 149th and grand concourse after 9pm? I really don't want to be lost in this part of the city at night so please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,981 times
4 Train

If you want to stay sane in this city, you need to learn how to read a subway map.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:21 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
hopstop.com? Why does no one know about this...

Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
hopstop.com? Why does no one know about this...
People are becoming too dependent on the internet. You go to a station booth, pick up a copy of the subway map (they're free!) and trace the colored lines with your finger to see where the trains go. Period.

And to the OP: the #4 train runs 24 hours a day, so you'll never have a problem with that. By the way, you actually have a choice (= less waiting time) because the #5 also runs between Grand Central and 149/Concourse.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:23 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
You can also go to the travel planner on the MTA website: MTA NYC Transit - Trip Planner .

Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
People are becoming too dependent on the internet.
The internet isn't the problem, people are too dependent on message boards, is the problem. 100 people asking the same question when they can just do a search... (not this question in particular, but google maps works too!)

Old 11-08-2009, 04:17 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
They also sell small pocket subway maps at many stores (and you get them free in your Yellow Book each year), not to mention the HUGE subway maps in every subway station.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:24 AM

306 posts, read 319,880 times
You guys are way to harsh on this person.

They asked a simple question. Maybe learning the subway doen't come easy to them

Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
You guys are way to harsh on this person.

They asked a simple question. Maybe learning the subway doen't come easy to them
I don't think anyone was being particularly harsh. I do think that people are getting particularly lazy, though. If you were new to New York, and the subways were intimidating (trust me; as a former conductor I know exactly what goes on there!), why wouldn't you go to the local transit authority first, rather than a site like C-D, where, let's face it--most of what you get is opinion. If I'm in a city for the first time and I have to figure out how to get around, the last thing I want is someone else's take on the system. I want hard information.

Subway maps are not difficult to figure out. All you have to do is be able to trace a colored line. Looking at the key doesn't hurt either, since it tells you how express and local stops are depicted. That way, you don't get on the wrong train.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 AM

306 posts, read 319,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't think anyone was being particularly harsh. I do think that people are getting particularly lazy, though. If you were new to New York, and the subways were intimidating (trust me; as a former conductor I know exactly what goes on there!), why wouldn't you go to the local transit authority first, rather than a site like C-D, where, let's face it--most of what you get is opinion. If I'm in a city for the first time and I have to figure out how to get around, the last thing I want is someone else's take on the system. I want hard information.

Subway maps are not difficult to figure out. All you have to do is be able to trace a colored line. Looking at the key doesn't hurt either, since it tells you how express and local stops are depicted. That way, you don't get on the wrong train.
I agree with what you are saying.

But, people from smaller areas or places like LA where transit is lacking...... these people are unfamiliar with transit.

I know this is stupid. But, I know a girl from St Louis who moved to NYC. She called me and said " I got on the right train, but in the wrong direction. I did not realize they went both ways". You would be surprised at how confused some are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: