Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:58 AM

582 posts, read 760,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Wow...I can see how that would not be the best experience looking for a roommate again, especially a share in a 1BR. Although it's a great neighborhood, I don't know if that would be the best situation, either.

The only hiccup is the lack of utilities in the rent because that could really cause an issue for your budget during the summer months with air conditioning costs.

Actually, heat, gas and hot water are included in the rent. I pay only for electricity.

that was not the worse roommate situation that I have had before. Actually, the worse one is when my roommate moved out with all the furniture and locked the apt and I had no idea. so when I came back from school that day, I couldn't get in. I had to stay the night on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,299,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Actually, heat, gas and hot water are included in the rent. I pay only for electricity.

that was not the worse roommate situation that I have had before. Actually, the worse one is when my roommate moved out with all the furniture and locked the apt and I had no idea. so when I came back from school that day, I couldn't get in. I had to stay the night on the street.
Then, that's not too bad. Hmm...especially if you can budget for the electrical expenses.

My inclination when reading about the 1BR on 2nd in the 90s when you posted the additional information would be to RUN! Seriously, she has too much drama and is likely in violation of the lease with a roommate and children visiting. Also, I would worry about the stability of such a person, since if they don't pay the rent, you could both be evicted.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-16-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Then, that's not too bad. Hmm...especially if you can budget for the electrical expenses.

My inclination when reading about the 1BR on 2nd in the 90s when you posted the additional information would be to RUN! Seriously, she has too much drama and is likely in violation of the lease with a roommate and children visiting. Also, I would worry about the stability of such a person, since if they don't pay the rent, you could both be evicted.

you are right. I think she is not allowed to have a roommate. I think it is a sublet because I would be giving her the money each month. what also worries me is her crazy bf who lives nearby on the 117th street and lex.

I just don't understand why visiting childern is a violation?

this is the worst nightmare I have had since 2004. I am not enjoying the Christmas this year.

and thank you very much for your time and inputs.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,180,774 times
Do you go to a church/ synagogue/ mosque? Does your university have an alumni group in NYC? These are both good ways to find roomates that you at least have something in common as opposed to trying your luck on Craig's List. Or does your industry have a young professionals group with a roomate message board?

I agree- the Brazilian woman situation has "bad choice" written all over it.

Hang in there- you'll find something!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,299,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
you are right. I think she is not allowed to have a roommate. I think it is a sublet because I would be giving her the money each month. what also worries me is her crazy bf who lives nearby on the 117th street and lex.

I just don't understand why visiting childern is a violation?

this is the worst nightmare I have had since 2004. I am not enjoying the Christmas this year.

and thank you very much for your time and inputs.
The children would violate the lease only because there are too many people occupying the apartment if they stay over. If they just come to visit, it's not a problem, but if they are living there, even part-time, that can be over the occupancy for that apartment, and hence would violate the lease.

I agree with TurtleCreek80, just hang in there and keep looking. You'll find something that will work for you, where you don't have to deal with a situation like that.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-16-2009, 03:07 PM

oh ok. I understand now. thanks. I actually didn't look at it that way, I thought they would make a lot of noise on my only two days off. it is not fun when I need to relax after a long week and there are kids in the apt.

I am starting to become nervous. time is running out and I have to be out of my current place on Dec 31.

TurtleCreek, I don't know anybody who is looking for an apt.

I was nervous last week and gave the broker 70 dollars as an application fees. he didn't give me a receipt. I know I am stupid to do something like that. I should have insisted on getting a receipt. anyway, I told him I am giving him the money because I am serious and want that studio for 1200 instead of 1225. he said he will try with the landlord.
he called me asking for SSN to run a credit check. I told him I don't want to give him my SSN unless we agree on the price. he yelled at me on the phone and said he wouldnt approach the landlord for negotiation unless he gets my credit score.

being under pressure, and knowing that i don't have many options, I gave it to him.

he called me yesterday and left me a voicemail that he did run the credit check and I am fine but the landlord wouldn't reduce the price.

I havent called him and I am pissed off really. had I know there is reduction in the price, I wouldn't give him my money.

but do I really have a choice?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:14 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,624,106 times
No way, no how would I have given a "broker" my SSN over the phone, especially for a suspiciously cheap apartment.

What agency is this broker with?
Did you find him off craigslist?
Have you met him in person?
Have you seen the apartment in person?
Did you pay app fees with a check or in cash?
Your SSN should have been on the credit application, why would you have to give it to him again?
What exactly did you pay $70 for if he is now saying he needs to run a credit check?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:35 PM

I know the agency and asked about him to confirm his employement with them and they confirmed his name. but again i am stupid because I didn't ask him for an ID. what makes me comfortable is that he called me from his office asking me to stop by to give him the application fees but i was too tired after work and couldn't go.

yes, I found him off CL.

I have met him in person twice. during one of the visits to the building, one of the tenants talked to him in a friendly way because she knew him. so i assumed his face is familiar.

yes, I have seen the apt in person. it is an old per war building. like I said, the applicances are old and it needs rennovations. that is why it is cheap.

I paid in cash

I didn't put my SSN on the application because I was hesitant to take the apt in the frist place. he had my application for the first studio that was taken, so I didn't need to send another application for the second studio.

I paid 70 dollars as an application fees.since he didn't have my SSN on the application, he insisted that he must run a credit check before approaching the landlord.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,180,774 times
Do you have any friends in the city? Coworkers? People you know from the gym? Ask everyone you know to email all their city friends to see if someone has an open room.

This is how 75% of my NYC friends found their roomates. It may not be someone you know, but there's a comforft zone knowing that your coworker's cousin's college roomate probably won't be crazy or Mod cut.

If you really can't find something by the middle of next week, I'd focus on a month-to-month sublease. That way, if it's really bad, you can keep searching for a roomie under less stressful conditions.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-16-2009 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Do you have any friends in the city? Coworkers? People you know from the gym? Ask everyone you know to email all their city friends to see if someone has an open room.

This is how 75% of my NYC friends found their roomates. It may not be someone you know, but there's a comforft zone knowing that your coworker's cousin's college roomate probably won't be crazy or Mod cut.

If you really can't find something by the middle of next week, I'd focus on a month-to-month sublease. That way, if it's really bad, you can keep searching for a roomie under less stressful conditions.
Thanks, TurtleCreek. I was thinking about this tonight and I think the underlying problem is I don't really have friends here. as you know, I am a foreigner and I lead a very lonely life because I don't know many people here. the only people I knew from school are not in NY anymore. the very few who are still in the city are married and I don't connect with them anymore.

my work environment is not very pleasant. gossip and not friendly people so I keep it to myself most of the day because I don't want to be part of any gossip group. I only have one close friend but she is married and has a family.

I don't go to the gym these days as I put my membership on a freeze till I figure out my living situation. I am exhausted emotionally and can't do any work out. so I stopped.

Now, back to the broker, I went to his office to check if he actually works there and they confirmed that he works with them. so I am glad that I didn't lose my 70 dollars. like I said the studio is cheap because it is old and needs rennovations which I doubt they will do.

the brazilian woman just called me and she wants me to meet with her tomorrow to give her the money to secure the room.

what else can I do? can you think with me because I am tired.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-16-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City