Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 PM

904 posts, read 2,868,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
guys, tell me about the prices in BayRidge. someome is offering me to see a basement studio for $875 including utilities. I haven't seen the studio yet but it is close to 88th st station and 4th. I don't know where that is because I have never been there before but I have two questions:

1- is it a good price for a basement? I have a feeling that it should be less than that.
2- is the area safe?
It is going to be very far from midtown east where I work.
anyway,

another lady is offering a room in her apt for 900 + utilities. the room is in UES in the 80s. she is an old lady who doesn't mind her own business. she always talks too much and asks too many questions about everything but anyway that doesn't bother me.her grown-up kids are away and they visit her from time to time. I had an interview with her yesterday and she will see more people before she decides on someone. I hope she will get back to me.

how about these two options?
$875 for a basement studio in Bay Ridge is probably, if anything, a bit on the low side. It seems reasonable and legit to me. Also, not all basements are created equal - some have practically no natural light, while others are almost above ground and have plenty. Most are somewhere between the two. And some people don't mind the no natural light thing, so that's a matter of personal preference. I'd definitely check it out.

Bay Ridge is a very safe neighborhood. It's middle-class and has lots of little neighborhood restaurants, bars, etc. If you're near 86th street, you won't be too far from grocery stores and other necessities. The coastline in Bay Ridge is pretty nice, too. The commute will be annoying, but just bring a good book and you should be OK.

As for the other one, I wouldn't want to have a super-nosy landlord, but I suppose it depends on your tolerance for that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:30 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,257,204 times
whats the point to live somewhere in brooklyn and pay $900 or more for a room if you can rent a room in UWS or UES for that price? I just saw a room to rent in chelsea for $800 a month including utilities in a block.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:07 AM

582 posts, read 761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
whats the point to live somewhere in brooklyn and pay $900 or more for a room if you can rent a room in UWS or UES for that price? I just saw a room to rent in chelsea for $800 a month including utilities in a block.

That must be sharing a ROOM not sharing an apt. I saw a ROOMSHARE in Chelsea for $800 today. Maybe that is what you are talking about.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 AM

I don't want to start another thread for this but I have a question that is related to my topic.
I have sent my credit and eviction reports to a landlord and things didn't work out so should I request the papers back from him? do I have to worry about my credit report with him? he lives very far and I faxed it to him so I don't know how to get that back.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,257,204 times
no, im talking about having a private room. there is many offers like that on craigslist. Mostly for UWS an UES for under 1k, however i've seen roomshare as well, but i woudnt want to live like that.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:02 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,209,092 times
All this good advice and help and never reported back to tell which apartment u took.. smh....

Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 PM

16,010 posts, read 6,761,605 times
Do not want to upset you. My apologies in advance.
$2,200 *12 = $ 26,400 is borderline poverty.
Unless you find a better job, add a second job, share the costs, you are doomed.
Make it a priority to look for a better paying job immediately.
You need to take home at least $50,000 a year just to get by by the skin of your teeth in N.Y.

Try,Try,Try to apply for Snap food assistance program to help alleviate some hardship.

You need to cut the gym costs immediately. Jog around the neighborhood or near work instead. Check out a local YMCA .

Drop Fios. It is all hype. Spectrum $29 promo although better will cost $110 a month just for cable and internet. No phone.
Keep your mobile phone and internet service. It's your lifeline. Add the Pluto app for free TV.

Do not,do not eat out. Brown bag your lunch.

Shop at your local grocery Shop Rite, Stop N Shop, and sign up for their reward card immediately.
You'll be able to take advantage of savings and stop by once a week and get that circular and cut out those money saving coupons
and add the app right on your phone for even more savings. Always look for the weekly sales. There are plenty.
If they are out demand a rain check.Don't be ashamed to purchase those.69 cents box of noodles, spaghetti and 89 cent cans of
Tomato sauce. Don't buy perishables. It can be costly. Instead of buying a gallon of milk which can go bad in a week buy a gallon of
almond milk which can keep for a few weeks.

Don't buy new clothes. Shop at rummage ,second hand,church sales,yard sales,etc and save a ton.

Do not buy the Metro Card monthly. It is safer to buy it weekly.
If you lose a monthly you will be out a big chunk of change instead of losing a weekly.
Not worth the risk.

Cleaning supplies. All you need is a cheap gallon of vinegar diluted in a pail of water. It will disinfect just about anything
It will only run you $2 to $3 dollars a gallon.

Shop around for those pedicures and nails and haircut blowout.
Pedis can talk them down to $8 bucks,$15 for nails and $50 for shampoo hair cut and blowout. You got to shop around
chinese neighborhoods for that great price. You have the metrocard to bring you around town.

Very very important. Stay away from the city even if you find better rent. Go with the outer boros for the same price.
All other amenities such as food,clothing,etc will be cheaper than anyplace in the city. Sacrifice the travel for top savings.

All this off the top of my head. Hope hope hope this helps you save a few bucks.
Wish you the best.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
All this good advice and help and never reported back to tell which apartment u took.. smh....
Since you seem so very curious about where I ended up living, to the extend that you brought up an old thread from 2009, why don't you go to my most recent thread to read my answer to that question ? I don't remember why I didn't report back and never knew that I had to. When I give my opinion to someone, they are free to reply back or just read it and move on. I don't have expectations. Seriously, what is wrong?

Old 07-25-2018, 06:18 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,219,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Since you seem so very curious about where I ended up living, to the extend that you brought up an old thread from 2009, why don't you go to my most recent thread to read my answer to that question ? I don't remember why I didn't report back and never knew that I had to. When I give my opinion to someone, they are free to reply back or just read it and move on. I don't have expectations. Seriously, what is wrong?
Nevermind that person. Some people are just obnoxious!

Old 07-25-2018, 06:22 PM

Mr. Retired: I am very very thankful to you for all your good advice! I am sure I will use it as I move into my new place. The thing is this thread is very old and most of the information has changed
I no longer go to a gym, my salary is not the same. So many things have changed in those years. I am sorry that someone brought this old thread up. But your advice is very useful regardless! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City