U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:01 PM

581 posts, read 548,548 times

Advertisements

I have actually got approved for a nice studio on UES by a respectful management company. they asked for my credit history and landlord reference letters and they said that would be enough for them.
when i discuss any sharing situation, I always mention that i have my cell phone and I don't need a TV. I also have my own internet service. but you are right about the electricity if the other roommate has an A/C, I would pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM

talking about tenant rights. the people in my current residence want to kick me out. I have done nothing but reached the max stay which is 4 years. Now, I don't get the point why would they kick a foreigner with no family or relatives in the country just to make the room available for another person ? they say that their mission is to help people to find affordable housing on a temp basis. and that I signed an agreement that i would be leaving after a certain amount of time. they argue that I should leave the room for another one who is in need??

wtf, I am in need too.

guys, do I have a case here to fight back and stay in my current place?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,323,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
talking about tenant rights. the people in my current residence want to kick me out. I have done nothing but reached the max stay which is 4 years. Now, I don't get the point why would they kick a foreigner with no family or relatives in the country just to make the room available for another person ? they say that their mission is to help people to find affordable housing on a temp basis. and that I signed an agreement that i would be leaving after a certain amount of time. they argue that I should leave the room for another one who is in need??

wtf, I am in need too.

If you signed an agreement that says you can only live for a certain amount of time then really you cant live there anymore. The key there is TEMP BASIS. You are are trying to live there on a permanent basis.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:37 PM

it is just stupid. they are kicking people out who are really in need just to make the room empty for someone else who might or might not be in need? I have seen girls in that residence shopping from Parada and Louis Vuitton. they just don't want to be in an apt alone so they come to the residence. it makes me really really angry because they compete with people who in a real need to an affordable place.

anyway, whatever. this whole moving thing costs me emotionally more than it does financially.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:08 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,539,324 times
I guess the question is when you were paying $810 a month were you able to save money on your $2200 take home? Hopefully there is some past data to use. If you have to divert an extra $500 from something else to rent, you can judge better than we can whether you can stand not having the things you will have to give up.

You can kill the 90 Internet/Phone/Cable to 20 Internet only with Verizon naked DSL here: Verizon | High Speed Internet: Plans Forget the TV and use your cell phone and don't get a landline. Watch TV on the Internet with Hulu or iTunes when you want.

Does the gym membership really have to be $142? geez, gyms are expensive, but I think it's important for you to keep it in some form given the social value to you.

The $1300 studio rent seems like it's effectively $1200 because it includes utilities.

I still think she can make it work. It seems like she will get a lot out of her own place. Live in a shared place for four years and you'll want to leave too.

Get a part-time job for spending money or else look into a $2000 1-bedroom to split with someone (turn the living room into a bedroom with a drape).

Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,747,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post

wtf, I am in need too.

Why would they kick you out? Well, for one thing, are you here legally?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:38 AM

298 posts, read 873,291 times
It sounds to me that the temp place that you are staying in now is there for people to give them just enough time to be able to move up financially and move out. I guess that they want to give that opportunity to other people.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:02 AM

10,755 posts, read 25,546,454 times
I noticed that you said your food budget was very high owing to the shared living, and if you apply that to rent, it's not a huge change in your living standard. I, too, think that it could work, especially if you search for a part-time job, even a seasonal one and save the money. And, if the landlord approved, that's a good situation, and you can try it. If it doesn't work after the year, you can always find a share.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Why would they kick you out? Well, for one thing, are you here legally?

Viralmd, OF COURSE I am here legally. I wouldnt open my mouth if I were here illegal.

and also I have applied to get a studio from a very strict management company. they asked for a copy of everything. my passport, a letter of employment, state ID, etc....

they want to kick me out because I have been there for 4 years. so on my birthday ( I am not kidding), they sent me an eviction notice and they gave me 3 months to move out. I begged them to leave me for another month till I hear from the other residence ( I am waitlisted there and they don't know when a room will be available). nonsense, right? I have been a good resident for four years and now I have to be between apts just because they don't want me to stay a few extra months?

oh I forgot, I know two women who have been here for more than 4 years. should I complain? or should I mind my own business?? it is not worth the fight? I am leaving anyway. right?

Old 11-07-2009, 11:51 AM

I am very very stressed out. The management company just sent me an email telling me they will hold on to the apt till Monday. If I don't sign the lease tomorrow, it is gone.

I called the residence to find out my status regarding the room. they don't want to tell me anything. They say I am still on the waiting list. they don't know when a room will be available for me. it might take months. what do I do now?
I have a deadline to move out from my current place by the end of Dec. I can push for one more month. but still don't know when I will be getting the room.

Sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City