U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:00 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,326,377 times

Advertisements

Why don't you just take the room! Life is only as stressful as you let it get! There are plenty of people in worse situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 AM

581 posts, read 548,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
I guess the question is when you were paying $810 a month were you able to save money on your $2200 take home? Hopefully there is some past data to use. If you have to divert an extra $500 from something else to rent, you can judge better than we can whether you can stand not having the things you will have to give up.

You can kill the 90 Internet/Phone/Cable to 20 Internet only with Verizon naked DSL here: Verizon | High Speed Internet: Plans Forget the TV and use your cell phone and don't get a landline. Watch TV on the Internet with Hulu or iTunes when you want.

Does the gym membership really have to be $142? geez, gyms are expensive, but I think it's important for you to keep it in some form given the social value to you.

The $1300 studio rent seems like it's effectively $1200 because it includes utilities.

I still think she can make it work. It seems like she will get a lot out of her own place. Live in a shared place for four years and you'll want to leave too.

Get a part-time job for spending money or else look into a $2000 1-bedroom to split with someone (turn the living room into a bedroom with a drape).
actually, when I was paying 810 a month, I didn't save any money. I just put my bonus on the side. because with the roommates arguments and the crowded kitchen,I used to eat out all the time and it costs me 800 a month.

Here is my current budget,

810 rent + utilities
800 food
100 transportation ( taxi sometimes)
83 internet + cell phone
170 gym ( I had all access membership)
40 personal expenses

220 left each month.

so if I will take the studio, I will not give up on anything I used to have. it is just I have started thinking about saving some money for the future.

today, I have to make up my mind. thanks all.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 AM

8,140 posts, read 12,525,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
thanks so much. ) I mean by personal hygiene, toothpaste. hand sanitizer, toilet paper, pads, cotton, soap, laundry detergent, maybe body lotions or creams. I usually buy from bed bath and beyond so it is not expensive. I don't wear make up often.
yes, the gym is Equinox. It is more about getting in shape, meeting new people and really enjoy my time. I consider it as the only luxury I allow myself to. maybe I will cancel it to save 140. as you see, my budget will be very tight. no money for any entertainment.

I don't have a landline. I only use my cell phone.so do you guys think I will have some extra money for clothes?

what do you think?
why live like that? get a cheaper place and then you can have more luxuries for yourself. I would be so depressed if the only luxury I could have is a gym membership.

Why not move to one of the boros? You could get a place in queens for around $800.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:50 PM

10,626 posts, read 20,764,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
why live like that? get a cheaper place and then you can have more luxuries for yourself. I would be so depressed if the only luxury I could have is a gym membership.

Why not move to one of the boros? You could get a place in queens for around $800.
I agree with the overall sentiment, but apartments that are not basements in someone's home in areas of Queens that are within walking distance to the subway cost more than $800.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:08 PM

169 posts, read 309,904 times
I think it's totally doable if you budget right. I make a lot more than you & my boyfriend & I only spend on average $350/mo on groceries.

You could make it work like this...

take-home pay 2200
transportation -100
groceries -200
eating out/blow $ -150
internet/cell -83
gym -142
personal exp -40
rent/utilities -1300
savings -185

Old 11-08-2009, 07:03 PM

905 posts, read 2,522,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Hi guys.

I bring home 2200 dollars a month ( after taxes and everything). I have been in a shared situation in UES. It was great because the rent was $ 810 a month. I am a single female and I don't spend that much. now, I have to move out and I have been looking for studios on UES. I got approved for a studio for 1300 including all the utilities and electricty.

my monthly expenses will be like this:

1300 rent + utilities
400 food
90 metro card monthly ( only when it is cold, my work is not that far and I can walk when it is nice).
90 internet + cable+ phone. ( I will get that from Verizon).
20 cleaning supplies for the apt
142 gym membership
180 personal hygiene + laundry+ hair and makeup if needed.( not sure if that would be enough so advice from ladies would be much appreciated).

Now, I know that I am missing clothing. is there anything else I am missing? and of course, I am not saving anything here.
Maybe I will try to look for a part time job.

I really hope this will work. Oh, I know some of you might say that I don't need to pay that much for a gym. But I love that clean nice gym and it is the only place where I socialize.

my other optionwould be living in a women residence on UWS where I will have a small room for 600 a month with no kitchen. to be honest, it is quiet depressing there.

your thoughts? thanks. much appreciated.
In a word: no. You are leaving out three very important things.

1) Saving money.
2) Having a social life.
3) Emergencies.

There is absolutely no way that anyone making $2200/month should pay anything more than around $1000/month for housing, including utilities. Ideally, you'd be closer to $800, but I could understand going higher if you really want your own place. Even then, on $1000/month you'd have to be very careful with your money.

I'm going to be very blunt: you cannot do this. If you think you can do this, perhaps you should re-evaluate what you want out of living in New York. If you want a half-decent life, you have two options:

1) Continue living in roomshares.
2) Move to Brooklyn or Queens.

Both of those options are really quite viable. Most young New Yorkers have roommates, and Brooklyn and Queens have plenty of nice, Manhattan-accessible neighborhoods that are good places in their own right. Frankly, on your salary, you should probably do both - i.e., find a nice 2-bedroom apartment in Brooklyn and find a roommate (I make around the same as you - slightly more, actually - and that's what I do). But if you want to live Manhattan, you will need to have roommates (more than one, in all likelihood). If you want to live on your own, you'll have to leave Manhattan, and even then you'll have to be very careful with your money.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:08 PM

905 posts, read 2,522,020 times
Oh, I should add that you'd probably be OK in this situation if you get a part-time job. But make sure you find one.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 PM

10,755 posts, read 25,554,045 times
You have been living on that money until now, and you need only shift more to rent than to eating out. If you can keep the food budget under control, and get a part-time job for breathing room in the budget, or for extras like eating out and cable television, and perhaps even some extra social opportunities through a fun additional like of work, I think it's a workable plan. The apartment you have found, and for which you have been approved, is a place that you like and that will be your own. To me, it sounds like you have the discipline necessary to make it work, since it's your own home, not a share, not a room, but your own apartment, something for which the luxury of one's own space is sometimes a sacrifice. Good luck!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-09-2009, 05:09 AM

32 posts, read 106,279 times
you are spending too much for gym, lucille roberts will at least save you 100 bucks a month. if you cut down eating out, you can save another 100 bucks. you need to b/cos you never know whwt might happen in the near future.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,154,020 times
Sorry, I have to disagree with those who have said it's possible. Given her income and expenses, it just does not make financial sense for her to put herself in that type of situation. There is practically no $$ that is being put towards savings or a social life outside of the gym (which I still think is a little too high). What is the point of living in Manhattan when you can barely go out with some friends for drinks or dinner once in a while? Also, some have suggested that the OP find a part-time job...I may be mistaken, but I believe the OP's income currently comes from 2 part-time jobs, so don't know if she will have the capacity to take on a 3rd job. Which brings up another point, with both of them being part time jobs - do you have any medical benefits? Knock on wood, but what happens if you get sick?

My honest advice, even if you can manage living paycheck to paycheck and not save, I wouldn't suggest it. I'm sorry about the difficulties you experienced in the past in other boros, but believe me, Manhattan isn't any safer than the other boros. It all depends on what neighborhood you are in and even that, there is no guarantees.

Considering you work in midtown, I would suggest looking in Queens for a studio. If your lucky, you may be able to find a studio for under $1,000. My friend found a studio in Astoria for $1,100 with utilities included. He took this one over a $800 studio which was a basement apartment, so it's definitely possible. Astoria is about 5 minutes into Midtown which is convenient for you.

Shop smart and your monthly grocery bill should be lower than you estimated.

You may want to consider changing your gym membership. It's great that it is part of your life, but you don't need to go to Equinox. You can join a NYSC, which is about $90/month now (I think?), so you can save $60/month right off the back. You can even take it a step further and perhaps consider a Ballys, which is around $50/month (give or take). They are not to the same level as a Equinox, but I would rather save the $100/month and you don't need to give up the gym.

Just some thoughts. I think having your mind focused in Manhattan will limit your options, and unfortunately, with your income, you will need to open up your options a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City