U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,502,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree with the overall sentiment, but apartments that are not basements in someone's home in areas of Queens that are within walking distance to the subway cost more than $800.
you'd probably be right but a basement apartment in queens might be better than the womens shelter or a roomshare. At least she would have her own space....not to mention, maybe even a TV and some other luxuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 AM

581 posts, read 547,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree with those who have said it's possible. Given her income and expenses, it just does not make financial sense for her to put herself in that type of situation. There is practically no $$ that is being put towards savings or a social life outside of the gym (which I still think is a little too high). What is the point of living in Manhattan when you can barely go out with some friends for drinks or dinner once in a while? Also, some have suggested that the OP find a part-time job...I may be mistaken, but I believe the OP's income currently comes from 2 part-time jobs, so don't know if she will have the capacity to take on a 3rd job. Which brings up another point, with both of them being part time jobs - do you have any medical benefits? Knock on wood, but what happens if you get sick?

My honest advice, even if you can manage living paycheck to paycheck and not save, I wouldn't suggest it. I'm sorry about the difficulties you experienced in the past in other boros, but believe me, Manhattan isn't any safer than the other boros. It all depends on what neighborhood you are in and even that, there is no guarantees.

Considering you work in midtown, I would suggest looking in Queens for a studio. If your lucky, you may be able to find a studio for under $1,000. My friend found a studio in Astoria for $1,100 with utilities included. He took this one over a $800 studio which was a basement apartment, so it's definitely possible. Astoria is about 5 minutes into Midtown which is convenient for you.

Shop smart and your monthly grocery bill should be lower than you estimated.

You may want to consider changing your gym membership. It's great that it is part of your life, but you don't need to go to Equinox. You can join a NYSC, which is about $90/month now (I think?), so you can save $60/month right off the back. You can even take it a step further and perhaps consider a Ballys, which is around $50/month (give or take). They are not to the same level as a Equinox, but I would rather save the $100/month and you don't need to give up the gym.

Just some thoughts. I think having your mind focused in Manhattan will limit your options, and unfortunately, with your income, you will need to open up your options a little.

Thanks, Dana. Thanks everyone for your inputs. My income comes from one job. It is a bit difficult to get a part time job especially in this economy and also - as a foreigner- I am not allowed to work or get another job. so even my salary is not enough, I can't recieve another pay check. if I need extra cash, I will have to do any job that pays cash. I know that options are limited unless I quit my current job and get a new job with higher salary.

I do have medical benefits but I don't have a social life here. honestly, I don't care. I finish work at 7 pm, I go to the gym for an hour or two and I go home to relax after a long day. I believe most NYers do the same.

I don't want to quit Equinox I will shop smart and stop eating out so I will save 80 dollars from something else.

you guys keep saying Astoria.. go to Graigslist and see how much is it for a studio in Astoria? the SAME price. My studio in Manhattan is 1200 + 100 utilities. In Astoria, it is 1000-1100 + 100 utilities + 100 subway.

I have looked in Parkslope and Astoria. The prices are no different.

Now, regarding the small room in UWS, it is cheap. it is safe but I am waitlised and they don't know when it will become available. the people in my current residence don't want to wait till I get a room. they want me out by the end of Dec ( max). I can beg for another month but still not sure if I will have a room by then. I am a bit furstrated and also scared of roommates.well, not scared I mean nervous.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
you'd probably be right but a basement apartment in queens might be better than the womens shelter or a roomshare. At least she would have her own space....not to mention, maybe even a TV and some other luxuries.

If I were to choose between living in a dark basement with a TV and some other luxries AND staying in a front facing, sunny studio in Manhattan without a TV or luxries, I would choose the latter.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
If I were to choose between living in a dark basement with a TV and some other luxries AND staying in a front facing, sunny studio in Manhattan without a TV or luxries, I would choose the latter.
wow, ok then. I like the fact that I can go out with my friends, take trips, go out to dinner, watch TV, own a computer and buy clothes.

PS- not all basements are small and dark. My parents house has a HUGE basement...and it's well-lit and gorgeous. Some feel like dungeons yeah, but definitely not all.

if you are unwilling to make amends to your current situation, then you really have no right to complain.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
wow, ok then. I like the fact that I can go out with my friends, take trips, go out to dinner, watch TV, own a computer and buy clothes.

PS- not all basements are small and dark. My parents house has a HUGE basement...and it's well-lit and gorgeous. Some feel like dungeons yeah, but definitely not all.

if you are unwilling to make amends to your current situation, then you really have no right to complain.

where do you see in my posts that I am complaining? I am actually being pushed to leave an affordable place and I don't know where I am going exactly. I have a deadline to move out and it is quickly becoming an issue of safety because I don't want to be in the street.

PS- wow. I have never heard of a well-lit basement before.if your parents' basement is for rent, please let me know.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 AM

203 posts, read 569,626 times
While I do think that your budget is very tight...it may be doable. It seems like you're set on taking the place on the UWS and at 1300 including utilities, which is reasonably priced for UWS. I don't agree that with your assessment of the outerboroughs though. There are plenty of safe places there and better priced than manhattan. You only mentioned incidents in harlem (that is manhattan) and Ridgewood, Queens. In anycase, you mentioned + 100 for subway but do you take subway from UWS to midtown? Also...cut out the taxi, I think you mentioned it was rare but still...your budge it TIGHT. And the $800 on eating out cause of no kitchen...I don't know but does it really cost that much...where were you eating??Another thing is the gym...you're adamant about the apartment and the gym. The apartment I can understand, the gym I cannot. I just can't see what that particular gym costing $142 a month has that a lower priced gym does not have.

Oh and I meant doable if you work on your food budget and reduce the amount spent on the gym...

Last edited by Cyclops99; 11-09-2009 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: add to post

Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 AM

905 posts, read 2,519,562 times
Quote:
I actually could understand the light thing. I know a couple of people who live in dark basement apartments (in Astoria, no less) and I could not do it. I need some natural light. I'd go crazy. That said, not all basements are created equal - I also know someone who has what is technically a basement 1-bed in Greenpoint, and it is very nice with plenty of light. It really depends on how far underground the basement is - sometimes, it's more like the first floor and the windows are sizable.

As for the other stuff, well, I'm going to have to agree with everyone else. I don't know why you would want to sacrifice having a social life or traveling or being able to watch DVD or all that other stuff. Contrary to what you said, most NYers do have lives outside work and the gym. But some surely don't. If you're comfortable with that, hey, that's OK. The one thing I'd worry about if I were you is setting aside some money for emergencies. Sometimes things come up that require money. You really should not live paycheck-to-paycheck without at least a little money in reserve. It's dangerous.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:17 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,315,500 times
Quote:

I agree! The basement in my building has a GREAT apartment complete with its own little locking gate enterence. I am always intrigued by it when I got down to take the recycling.

Also...about the gym? Its like my mom says "you have champagne taste ona beer budget" when money is tight you NEED to cut out things like that. I don't see why you can't run in the park. Also I am a member at Lucille Roberts and its like $20 a month for a no comitment.

About being kicked out...well hunny what if you were in an apartment and your lease was up and someoen else was renting the apartment? Would you expect them to wait around until you decided you could move out? No thats not how it works.

Maybe you just arent cut out for this kind of life...

Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
where do you see in my posts that I am complaining? I am actually being pushed to leave an affordable place and I don't know where I am going exactly. I have a deadline to move out and it is quickly becoming an issue of safety because I don't want to be in the street.

PS- wow. I have never heard of a well-lit basement before.if your parents' basement is for rent, please let me know.
It's on Long Island and they aren't looking to rent it out. Sorry.

Long Island houses are generally bigger than Queens houses or Brooklyn, so more house = more basement space. Most apartments are tiny in NYC. Boro living gives you more space in general.

$1300, IMO, isn't really affordable...especially for the space you are getting. I mean like I said, you can get something way cheaper than that in Queens.

To put in perspective for you, I don't live in the city. I pay $970/mo for a studio.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Maybe you just arent cut out for this kind of life

I appreciate your inputs but You don't really know me and what I have been through to make that statement. In this particular situation, I am not in an apt. If I were in apt, it would be easier because I would have prepared earlier and of course I would know when the lease is up. in this situation, they took me by surprise and I was not prepared because I see some women who have been living in that place before me so i thought that their rules are not very strict. still wondering why they pick some and leave others?

anyway, I am not here to defend myself. I was just trying to get an advice on a proposed budget. it sounds like most of you don't agree with it. so now, if I let that studio go, what are my alternatives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City