Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 03:01 PM

220 posts, read 703,812 times

Advertisements

so after years of putting it off I've decided to catch the chinatown bus up to NYC and stay for a day or two. I already had a few places in mind I wanted to visit like the transit museum, times square, canal street, and maybe Harlem. For those of you that have been to DC how much more fast paced is NYC than DC? Because thats my main concern. I'm used to catching crowded subways and buses down here everyday so I'm not brand new to it. Just wanted to know. And what subway lines would you consider the safest? I wanted to do some rail fanning on the A and F train.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 03:29 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Welcome to NYC..DCnative. I travel back and forth btwn DC/Maryland & NYC a lot so I'll be more than willing to answer some of your questions

Quote:
For those of you that have been to DC how much more fast paced is NYC than DC?
It's much more fast paced. People here tend to be a bit more aggressive here than in DC. In addition the nightlife here lasts much longer...it's really the city that never sleeps.

Quote:
And what subway lines would you consider the safest? I wanted to do some rail fanning on the A and F train.
Generally the subways are very safe. The A train runs mostly underground until the Rockaways so if you're willing to endure the 1 hr+ ride from Manhattan...you'll get to see beautiful views of the beach and the ocean. The F is cool too because it goes to Coney Island where the old Astroland Park used to be. If you're lucky you might be able to see some of the remains from the rides. Haven't been there in years. Have fun on your trip!

Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 PM

201 posts, read 388,952 times
Consider taking Bolt Bus or Mega Bus instead of the chinatown bus. They're usually the same price or maybe a couple dollars more & are sooooo much nicer - Bolt has plugs at every seat & they both have wifi. The seats are more comfortable, too. The chinatown bus I took once stopped in Philly whereas Bolt & Mega are straight through to NYC. My sis lives in DC, so I make the trip every few months.

I agree with the previous poster that people are more aggressive in NYC. Like when I'm in DC & a crowded metro train comes during rush hour, maybe a couple people will get on & the rest will wait around for the next train. In NYC a couple dozen people will shove their way onto the subway car & people behind them will be pushing to cram even more in. People walk faster. It's more crowded. But if you're used the the buses & subway/metro in DC, it really won't be anything new to you - just expect it to be busier & more crowded.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:49 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
NYC is definitely a faster pace than DC, and a little more intense, too; however, the vast majority of NYers will be happy to help a visitor with directions or to answer a question, though it might be done in rapid-fire fashion which is not designed to be rude. The subways are all pretty safe today, though if you want to see the city, parts of Manhattan are better served by bus, though they can be much slower.

Do you have any particular destination in Harlem? There are some excellent museums in Harlem, as well as guided tours. Also, there are many walking tours that are available in the city that are sponsored by various business improvement districts. And, you have to find time to get to The Met, Central Park, and the Museum of Natural History, even if there's only one exhibit hall you want to visit. The Tenement Museum is also popular, and it's located on the Lower East Side.

As for the bus, check out Mega and Bolt in addition to the Chinatown buses, since they drop you off in the vicinity of Penn Station, which can be more convenient if you are not staying downtown.

Enjoy the trip.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-08-2009, 11:52 PM

220 posts, read 703,812 times
thanks for the answers!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
It is also worthwhile visiting the New York Public Library main bldg. on Fifth Avenue (between 40th-42nd Streets). There is an exhibit hall on the first floor as well as some more exhibits on the 3rd floor of the bldg.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 AM

185 posts, read 647,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisnowbird View Post
Consider taking Bolt Bus or Mega Bus instead of the chinatown bus. They're usually the same price or maybe a couple dollars more & are sooooo much nicer - Bolt has plugs at every seat & they both have wifi. The seats are more comfortable, too. The chinatown bus I took once stopped in Philly whereas Bolt & Mega are straight through to NYC. My sis lives in DC, so I make the trip every few months.

I agree with the previous poster that people are more aggressive in NYC. Like when I'm in DC & a crowded metro train comes during rush hour, maybe a couple people will get on & the rest will wait around for the next train. In NYC a couple dozen people will shove their way onto the subway car & people behind them will be pushing to cram even more in. People walk faster. It's more crowded. But if you're used the the buses & subway/metro in DC, it really won't be anything new to you - just expect it to be busier & more crowded.
I too was going to recommend bolt, I liked it a lot. I got back from DC yesterday.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post

so after years of putting it off I've decided to catch the chinatown bus up to NYC and stay for a day or two. I already had a few places in mind I wanted to visit like the transit museum, times square, canal street, and maybe Harlem. For those of you that have been to DC how much more fast paced is NYC than DC? Because thats my main concern. I'm used to catching crowded subways and buses down here everyday so I'm not brand new to it. Just wanted to know. And what subway lines would you consider the safest? I wanted to do some rail fanning on the A and F train.

the coolest rides in the system are the J train over the williamsburg bridge, the Q train over the manhattan bridge, and the A train through the rockaways in my opinion.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 PM

155 posts, read 445,423 times
I live in NYC via Northern VA, so I have some perspective on both. The first thing I noticed on arriving in NYC was the comparative size of the subway system to the DC Metro. It is massive: in DC, I considered five or six stops or a transfer before my destination long and arduous--here it's nothing. The metro stations are generally much nicer and better kept than the subway stations here in NYC. There aren't those nifty signs telling you when a train is approaching. Also, at first I was a little baffled by the colors on the subway map, being used to the orange line, blue line, etc. in DC. They don't really mean anything here.

I know you only have a few days, but I'd recommend venturing out to the boroughs, if only to get a more authentic feel for the city. Parts of Brooklyn, for example, are beautiful and well worth visiting. I'd recommend getting off the F at Bergen or Carroll and walking around Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights and maybe getting a pizza at Lucali on Henry Street, best in the city. I think you would really enjoy the area, being from DC. Much of Brooklyn reminds me of old-town Alexandria, and it has a significantly different feel from Manhattan. I'd also check out the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, which offers one of the best views of the skyline in the city. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge at night is incredibly exhilarating and one of the best experiences you can have in New York, I think.

Anyway, have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City