U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 PM

107 posts, read 333,950 times

Advertisements

I am still trying to learn as much as possible about NYC before my wife and I move there next fall. We lived on the UWS around 78th and Columbus this past summer and loved it, however, want to do as much research as possible before deciding what part of town to live in. We tried to visit as many areas as possible this summer but didn't make it to all of the ones we wanted or are constantly learning about new ones.

So my question is what are some opinions on the West Village as opposed to the UWS? We are a mid twenties couple, no kids, like to keep our rent between 3000 and 3500 for a one bedroom or two bedroom apartment. One bedroom is probably all that we are after. Thanks in advance for the help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,648,723 times
The Village is trendier. It has more singles and younger people. The UWS is more married couples, usually with children.

The Village has much better restaurants and nightlife, whereas the UWS has the park.

If I were in my 20s and had the money, I prefer the Village, personally.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM

120 posts, read 393,517 times
i think u can get more space for the same amount of money in UWS. also in general, i think its quieter and more peaceful in UWS.

also factor in where you guys will be working.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM

746 posts, read 1,247,062 times
It is a win- win between those neighborhoods!!

I have lived in both.

Have to say the West Village is the BEST. Love it. Great restaurants, bars, cafes, walking, etc., etc....

Love the Upper West side as well. Gets abad rap in terms of retaurants. There are plenty of good ones. Vicinity to Central Park is huge (as you clearly know having lived there already). UWS is changing. Actually getting a little bit more corporate (a bad thing), banks replacing owner owned places, etc... but overall still great.

West Village is the pick, but UWS a strong 2nd and a better bang for the buck.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 PM

120 posts, read 393,517 times
kemcnyc - where in the w village would you recommend?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:04 PM

19,136 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferer View Post
i think u can get more space for the same amount of money in UWS. also in general, i think its quieter and more peaceful in UWS.

also factor in where you guys will be working.
this is why i would say the upper west side as well. pre-war, cant beat it....alothough i live in a post war building now and not complaining

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-07-2009, 11:27 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,756,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snifferer View Post
kemcnyc - where in the w village would you recommend?
all of it!

greenwich ave, clarkson st, cornelia st, w. 12th - its all good

Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 PM

11 posts, read 34,124 times
Listen to John Starks. All of West Village is great. For my money though, the west part of the west village is fantastic. I live on Hudson and 12th. If you can get a place around those Hudson and Greenwich St avenues you get a quieter feel. Yet a minute away are all the cafes and you can walk to the water and bike all the way down to Battery Park city. When you live there.....you don't want to move. If you end up on the Upper West side.....not too shabby though. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 AM

79 posts, read 66,472 times
I much prefer the West Village, it is more "fashionable" than the Upper West Side. Better scene, better shopping, better bars.

It's also the 3rd most expensive zip code/neighborhood in the United States, according to Forbes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City