U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 AM

283 posts, read 442,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't mean to belittle your list, but Grey's Papaya is not a landmark.
lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 08:25 AM

9,836 posts, read 21,557,525 times
Now that I think about it I've been to pretty much all of them. Nice. I even took a tour of the United Nations as a child years ago, which is something not a lot of people get a chance to do. I haven't been to the new stadiums, but I also don't consider them landmarks yet anyway.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Intrepid museum. That's like one landmark that often gets overlooked by natives. I used to love going there as a kid.

There are a few more obscure ones I haven't yet made a trip to. Like the little Red Lighthouse in Washington Heights or the Edgar Allen Poe House in the Bronx. I also never took the time to go to Alexander Hamilton's House in Harlem although I lived right by it for years.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 11-07-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 AM

784 posts, read 2,473,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't mean to belittle your list, but Grey's Papaya is not a landmark.
It was in Seinfeld

So to some tourists...it is

Old 11-07-2009, 12:34 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,290,786 times
Damn people, I've been to almost every landmark. I made it a mission once I was 12 to take the train (and Ferry to Staten Island) to visit all the boroughs and popular areas. I was so not going to miss out on that. So to say the least, I've been in the Twin Towers twice before its unfortunate fate, I been in the State of Liberty, Empire State Building (ESPECIALLY when I became a messenger. I got sick of going there.), visited Staten Island multiple times, been to Broadway Shows, Times Square, been to the Yankee Stadium, Coney Island too many times, Bronx Zoo, Bronx and Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, Shea Stadium and both Queens Airports. There's probably other areas I haven't mentioned but you can bet your ass I've been there.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:43 PM

905 posts, read 2,524,697 times
Bronx Zoo is probably the most famous, followed by Top of the Rock. I've never been to any of the botanical gardens, save the one on Staten Island (I grew up on SI, so I went there on school trips a couple of times). I've been to the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building, but I was like six years old and barely remember it. And though I was at the statue, I did not go to the crown.

Now that I think of it, many of the landmarks I've been to, I went there as a small child (5-10 years old) and barely remember them. The only exceptions are landmarks that are also places that you pass through (say, Times Square or the Brooklyn Bridge), some museums (I've been to the Met several times as an adult), and sports stadiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or