Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:09 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,202 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is birdinmigration and I tailgate on the sidewalk.

The first step is admitting I have a problem. I am trying to quit, honest I am.

Sometimes I just can't help it. If you are trundling along, four abreast, enjoying the sights of New York City and saying "my, my, these buildings sure are tall", I'm gonna be all up the back of your neck.
I am so sorry.

I know, people walk at a normal pace in the Des Moines mall, but in Midtown Manhattan I need to be where I'm going ten minutes ago.

I don't mean to be rude, unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful, unkind or any other un- that people say people in NY are. I am just really super-busy, and my deadlines are tight.

If you are visiting this fine city, do yourself and everyone a favor and stay awake and aware. People do this stunningly-choreographed criss-cross in and around Grand Central Station, barely missing collisions and timing their moves better than World Cup soccer players. For example, it's best to avoid the Lexington Avenue GC Terminal hallway between 5:15 and 6:30 pm.

Thanks for your cooperation. Understand that my heel-riding habit is chronic. I am not trying to hurt you, it hurts me more than you. I am trying to quit. Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 05:20 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
It's true that a lot of people use the sidewalks in strange ways (I always think it provides a clue to just how bad they are, behind the wheel of a car!) But to ask New York City to bend to your timetable...that's going well beyond the norm, deep into the territory of the surreal.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:09 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Why are you apologizing? I did this too when I worked by Grand Central! It annoyed me to no end! Flocks of tourists with their cameras just standing IN THE MIDDLE of the crosswalks between Lexington and 43rd just gawking at the sky...puhhllease.... get outta my way people, we NYers have places to go!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,029,976 times
I thought you were going to advertise that you like to have sidewalk BBQ's outside of your flat on game days.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
If you are trundling along, four abreast, enjoying the sights of New York City
I particulalry enjoy when they hold hands.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-15-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 AM

316 posts, read 989,250 times
I just walk in the street when confronted by a wall of obesity. Problem solved.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
If you're in Grand Central, or Times Square, you'll be confronted by what you would in any other cities' main transportation center or square: tourists. I have to remind myself when I get frustrated that everyone is a tourist at some point in their lives. When I can, I avoid the areas I know will be excessively crowded.

However, I don't tailgate - I would say I cut people off to get around them, or I simply walk in the street where I can. I've always been a fast walker.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I particualry enjoy when they hold hands.
I like when there is a group of them and they are spread out across the entire sidewalk. And then they just....stop. To have a conversation.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 AM

916 posts, read 2,245,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Hi, my name is birdinmigration and I tailgate on the sidewalk.

The first step is admitting I have a problem. I am trying to quit, honest I am.

Sometimes I just can't help it. If you are trundling along, four abreast, enjoying the sights of New York City and saying "my, my, these buildings sure are tall", I'm gonna be all up the back of your neck.
I am so sorry.

I know, people walk at a normal pace in the Des Moines mall, but in Midtown Manhattan I need to be where I'm going ten minutes ago.

I don't mean to be rude, unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful, unkind or any other un- that people say people in NY are. I am just really super-busy, and my deadlines are tight.

If you are visiting this fine city, do yourself and everyone a favor and stay awake and aware. People do this stunningly-choreographed criss-cross in and around Grand Central Station, barely missing collisions and timing their moves better than World Cup soccer players. For example, it's best to avoid the Lexington Avenue GC Terminal hallway between 5:15 and 6:30 pm.

Thanks for your cooperation. Understand that my heel-riding habit is chronic. I am not trying to hurt you, it hurts me more than you. I am trying to quit. Really.
I totally understand your frustration, just hope you don't rear-end
somebody and mistaken by cops as those perverts who rubbed themselves
up against people to get off.

Also, the people who does not walk on their right side and walk straight
into you are also very annoying. It's like they were trying to play a game
of challenge with you, and see who go blink first. And these people are
not tourist most of the time.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Most frustrating for me is the Broadway area where, at each intersection there are 20 people standing at every corner, not moving, just talking and planning, looking at maps. The light changes and there they stand, oblivious...like deer binded in headlights.

They make it impossible for MOBILE people to actually get into the street to cross without rudely pushing through. But you do what you gotta do and you push the clueless dimwits aside.

Can't they make plans AWAY from the intersection? In a Starbucks, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City