U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:39 PM

15 posts, read 20,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Please dont trll me you came all the way from Toronto to stay in Bushwick?? I grew up there, it was ghetto then and ghetto now in spite of what you're hearing on this board. Don't believe me, just look at the crime stats for the 83rd precient and compare to other parts of the city. Definately dont take train at night back to your hostel, your better off springing for a cab.
How much you think it'd be to catch a cab from the hostel to the subway there and back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 04:03 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,528,427 times
Last year I spent 10 days in Manhattan by MYSELF and felt very safe. It was a strange visit that had other issues but I still had a wonderful time and would love to go back to start where I left off.

I never made it to Brooklyn, except to the other end of the bridge when I walked it. Also, I never used subways. I was in the Chelsea Dist, perfect central location to various transit. So I rode the busses which, though slower, enabled me to actually SEE the city more. (However, in your case, you'd need the subways to help you save time in the short time you're there.)

Just be alert at all times and hide extra cash and cards where someone is less likely to pick so easily. I carry a purse or fanny-pack but my extras are always hidden somewhere else.

Also, I wouldn't "do" any parks at night. But that's a rule of thumb for city parks anywhere.

Hope you have a great time.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:09 PM

51,301 posts, read 50,558,025 times
You will be fine, I'm sure. Just wanted to add one more thing that tourists to NYC should know--do not be afraid to ask questions, for directions, as to where you are, as to where subways are, etc. New Yorkers are used to it and often have to ask themselves if they are in an unfamiliar neighborhood. It's normal.

Also, if you still feel a little nervous, straighten your back, walk as though you know where you are going and as if you own the place. It's everybody's city, go ahead! If there ARE any potential muggers around, they will be looking to pick on somebody who looks as though they don't know what they are doing. So even if you don't know what you are doing, look as if you do!

Old 11-07-2009, 04:16 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,322,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I carry fanny-pack but my extras are always hidden somewhere else.
I would NEVER EVER recommend carrying a fanny pack! Thats just laughable. You might as well carry a sign that says I'm a tourist.

Also that asking for directions is very very true. Countless times I have had people come up to me and ask me where the E train is or which way to union square. I love to help.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:28 PM

51,301 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I would NEVER EVER recommend carrying a fanny pack! Thats just laughable. You might as well carry a sign that says I'm a tourist.

Also that asking for directions is very very true. Countless times I have had people come up to me and ask me where the E train is or which way to union square. I love to help.
So do I. There's something about me that makes people ask me for directions. Even when I'm in a group with others, I am the one to whom the questions are addressed. I think that's strange, since I'm a really really tall woman. You'd think I'd scare people.

I like to help them, too. Also, I'm a smoker, which means I'm just standing outside my building sometimes, so I'm a stationary target for direction-seekers.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:32 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,322,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that's strange, since I'm a really really tall woman.

I'm a short girl! I think sometimes people think I'm maybe a high schooler and when they see someone "my age" alone they think i must be a local. I'm actually 23...

Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM

34,586 posts, read 42,755,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirux View Post
Hi,
My girlfriend and I will be visiting New York City for our first time and we're 21 and 19.

We will be staying in a hostel(can't afford much better than that)
at around Varet St, Brooklyn around the end of November.
We were recommend that hostel since its close to the subway system and easy to get downtown.

Okay,
We're from Toronto and we have a bit of street sense but what we are majorly worried about is getting robbed or killed..
We need to know what areas are safe to visit and what advice should we listen to?

Wish we were a bigger group going to new york but it's just the 2 of us staying for 3 nights.

Thank you so much and can't wait to visit.
Oh my gosh, kiddo, you need to relax. It's pretty funny, but the first time I was in the NY airport I was afraid someone would snatch my purse, or mug me. I must watch too much TV.
Much more recently, I visited Manhattan with my husband. I did not know what to expect, but the experience was great. I cannot speak to the area where you're going, but we had a completely good experience. We walked everywhere and everyone was friendly. Go forth and have a great time. The city is just too much fun to hinder your experience with some sort of preconceived notion. Of course, you should use the same street smarts you would use anywhere else.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:55 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,773,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You were in Manhattan! There is almost no need to use taxis in Manhattan. The subways are more efficient and much cheaper.
Sorry Henna, Taxis are a must, I get lost walking in a circle, I get lost walking around my block where I have lived for the last 25 years. Someone without directional disfunction doesnt have a clue, believe me the subway is not a means of transportation for me.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:00 PM

317 posts, read 1,019,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Please dont trll me you came all the way from Toronto to stay in Bushwick?? I grew up there, it was ghetto then and ghetto now in spite of what you're hearing on this board. Don't believe me, just look at the crime stats for the 83rd precient and compare to other parts of the city. Definately dont take train at night back to your hostel, your better off springing for a cab.
There is some truth to that, but it doesn't mean the OP or his girlfriend are going to be in danger. Like I said, that area is more or less the "better" part of Bushwick anyway, and I see what I assume are out-of-towners around all the time, and I'm pretty sure the majority of them are fine.

Plus the hostel is like 2 blocks from the train, so they don't really have to spend time walking around Bushwick if they don't want to.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,528,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Actually, I resort to fanny packs when my neck gets sore from carrying the purse (long straps worn criss-crossed are the only purses I use). It's a chronic medical issue.

However, I've worn the fanny packs on trips for 22 years and not had a problem. I did have someone try to rip off my camera back in the early-90's in San Diego, though (and nope, he didn't get it).

I've read that tourists shouldn't wear athletic shoes, either. But if I'm going to be on my feet for up to 15 hours (which I often am) then I don't care if the locals think it looks dorky or "touristy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City