Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:37 AM

15 posts, read 24,148 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My girlfriend and I will be visiting New York City for our first time and we're 21 and 19.

We will be staying in a hostel(can't afford much better than that)
at around Varet St, Brooklyn around the end of November.
We were recommend that hostel since its close to the subway system and easy to get downtown.

Okay,
We're from Toronto and we have a bit of street sense but what we are majorly worried about is getting robbed or killed..
We need to know what areas are safe to visit and what advice should we listen to?

Wish we were a bigger group going to new york but it's just the 2 of us staying for 3 nights.

Thank you so much and can't wait to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 09:50 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
There's really no need to be fearful of New York. It's a new adventure, and the likelihood of anything happening to you is remote. Most tourists are never anywhere that's too bad, since you really have to seek out bad neighborhoods in New York these days. Relax. New York should be a fun experience, not inducing worry about street crime.

Just do normal big city things: don't flash money/valuables in the street, learn your route to/from the hotel via transit, and be aware of your surroundings. Use the off-hours waiting area of the subway late at night, ride in the car with the conductor, etc.

Enjoy your visit!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 AM

63 posts, read 238,478 times
Um, if you're that scared why are you going?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:58 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
NYC is considered one of the safest big cities in the USA. You just need to use caution when you are out late just like in any other place.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirux View Post
Hi,
We will be staying in a hostel(can't afford much better than that)
at around Varet
I don't understand why more people don't look into the chelsea international hostel. ITS ON THE SAME STREET AS THE POLICE STATION! I live near it and it's a great neighborhood near the subway and everything to do.

As for safety. Don't be scared the worst thing ive ever seen happen to a tourist is them getting pushed on 5th ave becasue everyone is trying to get home from work and they want to take a zillion pictures of trump tower.

Have fuN!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 AM

37 posts, read 87,412 times
Dont worry, the city is completely safe. I was one of those "all i know about NYC was from the movies"

Then after reading post here, and on another site, dont know if i can say it here or not, Wirednewyork.com. I had realize i had been watching too many movies.

We spent a week there, and were out at all hours, both on the street and on the subway.

We never felt scared or threatened in any way, any where we went. The only time i saw any police type activity was down by the courthouse one day we saw a police car drive by with someone in the back.

We are from Seattle, and I felt safer in NYC, than i have ever felt in Seattle late at night. There is always someone around and there are usually a few police on every few street corners, and always a car around somewhere.

Dont feel scared, its a awsome place. Even on the subway at 5 or 6 in the morning or a night. Have a fun trip and dont worry.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:46 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
OP's hostel is in Bushwick. It may be perfectly safe there as well (I really don't know the area) but it is different than staying in Manhattan or the more expensive areas of Brooklyn.

However, I agree with the general sentiment on here that it is pretty safe - and esp. with BMW's post.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I think what you should be most worried about is that hostel. You really couldn't find a decent deal at a hotel in this economy? You must have really booked the trip last minute. In any case I don't think you should be overly worried about safety as long as you use common sense. If you can try and partner up with other tourists at the hostel for some of your outings. Might as well take advantage of the hostel thing in that sense.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:38 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
NYC is probably one of the safest biggest cities in the U.S. like Chava said. Crime is so low compared to other places in the nation.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:53 AM

317 posts, read 1,144,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
OP's hostel is in Bushwick. It may be perfectly safe there as well (I really don't know the area) but it is different than staying in Manhattan or the more expensive areas of Brooklyn.

However, I agree with the general sentiment on here that it is pretty safe - and esp. with BMW's post.
I live a few blocks from there - it's not a particularly "bad" part of Bushwick (the hostel is technically in East Williamsburg), although it is near the Bushwick Houses so an out-of-towner may want to steer clear of that section. I would just recommend the OP be alert (basically echoing the other posters' statements) and he/she should be fine. There are a bunch of nice little stores right around the corner on Bogart St. for amenities and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City