U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,562 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I'm a Scottish lass married to a charming American and we are organising our move to NYC. Husband has family there, and lived there himself for a while as a teenager, and I've visited several times so it's not too outlandish a jump.

Buuuuut I'm just wondering, the Irish are pretty visible in NYC, so why no Scots? Where do they go when they move to the US, produce the 2nd and 3rd generation? Seems like they just go into hiding. Maybe they are really assimilated straight off the plane, or getting lumped in with the English, which seems to be the same word as UK in the states.

Not that I mind much, I love NYC for its melting pot style. I don't want to hang out with expats from the dear green place (Glasgow - heh) all the time. Just really curious - why the vanishing act, eh?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 07:50 PM

19,074 posts, read 32,655,211 times
good question. i cant think of any predominantly scottish neighborhoods in nyc, althought there are some predominantly irish, like some sections of the rockaways in queens, and woodlawn in the bronx.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM

51,182 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writermouse View Post
Hi all - I'm a Scottish lass married to a charming American and we are organising our move to NYC. Husband has family there, and lived there himself for a while as a teenager, and I've visited several times so it's not too outlandish a jump.

Buuuuut I'm just wondering, the Irish are pretty visible in NYC, so why no Scots? Where do they go when they move to the US, produce the 2nd and 3rd generation? Seems like they just go into hiding. Maybe they are really assimilated straight off the plane, or getting lumped in with the English, which seems to be the same word as UK in the states.

Not that I mind much, I love NYC for its melting pot style. I don't want to hang out with expats from the dear green place (Glasgow - heh) all the time. Just really curious - why the vanishing act, eh?
There's still a Scots population in a few places like Kearny, NJ, but no, there aren't that many. It may be that the Irish immigration was so massive, and they experienced discrimination when they got here that there are many more of them and formed a tighter community, but Scots have been in the US for a long, long time. The Southeastern US, for example, had a significant early Scots and Scots-Irish population.

This is a good question. I'm going to Google a bit and see what's out there. I know a lot of people who are proud of their Scot heritage, but they don't tend to have organizations or anything that I know of.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's still a Scots population in a few places like Kearny, NJ, but no, there aren't that many. It may be that the Irish immigration was so massive, and they experienced discrimination when they got here that there are many more of them and formed a tighter community, but Scots have been in the US for a long, long time. The Southeastern US, for example, had a significant early Scots and Scots-Irish population.

This is a good question. I'm going to Google a bit and see what's out there. I know a lot of people who are proud of their Scot heritage, but they don't tend to have organizations or anything that I know of.
Well, here you go! Of course, it's been Americanized--Elvis is included in this celebration.

New York Tartan Week - Official Website

Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, here you go! Of course, it's been Americanized--Elvis is included in this celebration.

New York Tartan Week - Official Website
And if you click on the "history" tab on that site, it tells us that almost half the signers of the Declaration of Independence were of Scottish descent and 9 governors of the original 13 colonies had Scottish ancestry, and FURTHER, that our Declaration was modeled on the Scottish Declaration of Independence of April 6. 1320. Who knew?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 PM

Scottish New York City - Resource for all things Scottish in New York City

Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,645,283 times
Scottish-Americans are a very understated group. They exist, they just don't like to make a show of themselves. Because they were largely Protestant, they assimilated into the "Protestant Establishment" a long time ago.

The Roman Catholic immigrant groups, Irish, Italians, Poles, etc., tended to band together and maintain a strong identity because they were persecuted for their religion, among other things.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 11,562 times
wow this is great stuff - going to check out the links you provided. Yeah, check out the declaration of Arbroath for comparision to the US. This is one of the most inspiring bits (a lot of the rest was actually a desperate plea for help):

"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Pretty advanced for 1300s.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:43 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,920,460 times
Oh, they are here, Writermouse. My Mom is one of them! As another poster stated, a lot of the Scottish Catholics generally hang out with the Irish immigrants. Check out any Irish bar in Manhattan when Celtic v Rangers is on and you will see what I mean!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM

3,885 posts, read 5,992,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Oh, they are here, Writermouse. My Mom is one of them! As another poster stated, a lot of the Scottish Catholics generally hang out with the Irish immigrants. Check out any Irish bar in Manhattan when Celtic v Rangers is on and you will see what I mean!
Does your mum sound anything like Sean Connery?:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City