Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 09:47 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,328 times

Advertisements

I have lived in New York most of my life and am still learning new things about it! I now visit New York with a tourist's frame of mind, never assuming that I can't enjoy attractions I may have passed a thousand times, thinking that they are for "out-of-towners" only. Here is one attraction I have often overlooked: The New York Water Taxi. I discovered that it is a great alternative way to visit some of New York's and Brooklyn's most interesting neighborhoods. It makes stops all along the coast of Manhatten and in Brooklyn. Cool! I am sure that most New Yorker's like me never knew it existed.

Here are a couple of pics shot at one of the most popular stops on the Water Taxi, The South Street Seaport in downtown NYC. See New York like a tourist guys!

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/nyc-water-taxi-2.jpg (broken link)

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/seaport-pier-17.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM

29 posts, read 154,074 times
The Seaport can definitely be "touristy", but I love to go down there and check out the boats, and hang out on the pier. I never go in the stores or eat there however.
It is a great spot.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-08-2009 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: No links to personal blogs allowed.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 AM

784 posts, read 2,729,353 times
Didn't Chandler & Ross do this on an episode of Friends?

Regardless I've always wanted to do this as well, but my friends suck

Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,328 times
Default The Seaport

I agree it is a great place to hang out and enjoy the boats but overpriced (a sundae at Baskin & Robbins in the Seaport cost me $9!). The trick is to eat on Fulton Street that leads to the Pier. It has a lot of little restaurants that cater to the lunchtime office workers and are very reasonably priced for a quick meal. Ruben's Empanadas on 64 Fulton St (two blocks from the Pier) is excellent. I enjoyed their food so much that I ate there twice in one day!

They have an Abercrombie & Fitch at the Seaport that is so pricey and exclusive that all of the windows are shuttered--no window displays or prices. They really rip off young people with exorbitant prices for common street clothes--$100 for a plaid shirt that sporting goods stores sell for $15. If you know how to spend wisely, the Seaport is a great place to browse.

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/south-street-seaport-2.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 AM

29 posts, read 154,074 times
I think going to Fulton or the Seaport to shop, defeats the entire point of going there in the first place.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-08-2009 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: No links to personal blogs allowed.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 AM

182 posts, read 511,626 times
lol, i know george costanza did it in an episode. he pretended to be from little rock, AR.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
I have lived in New York most of my life and am still learning new things about it! I now visit New York with a tourist's frame of mind, never assuming that I can't enjoy attractions I may have passed a thousand times...
This is true. Not long ago, wandering around my neighborhood in Brooklyn, I was fascinated to discover the remnants of South Greenfield, a vanished community located right in the middle of modern Midwood.

If you do enough exploring in New York City, you never know what you'll run into! (Or, as I also like to say, the city is positively oozing with history; you just have to know what you're looking for).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: