U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:53 AM

15 posts, read 49,690 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

Ive been in NY before for half a year but will go back now with my girl (she's been born and raised in Manhattan). She has to finish college so we have no choice but to live in NYC for at least half a year.

Now heres the problem. While I love NY its a crazy expensive place and the next half year we might have hard time paying all the bills.

Weve been looking for studios and 1BRs for $1,400-$1,500 in Manhattan but it seems like the crisis didnt affect the NY rental market at all (at least in that price range). We found stuff starting at say 1,700 and then you have utilities on top etc..

I suggested getting a place in NJ but my girl said "never ever NJ" (Manhattan pride I guess).

We need something affordable in a safe neighborhood with okay access to the financial district. Id love to find something below $1,500 but that doesnt seem realistic (deduct all the scams in Craiglist and you end up with almost zero..).

Now what I wanted to know: are NJ neighborhoods (say Hoboken i.e.) really so unsafe? Ive been living in Brooklyn for a while (Brighton B) but have never been to NJ..

I also thought about some areas in Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg) but it seems to me that they are either too far away/not safe enough or, as soon as its close to Manhattan, the prices arent that much lower..

Oh, since we all have very different backgrounds I should probably explain whats not safe enough for me. On my first day of my last apartment hunt in '08 I looked at stuff in Bushwick and Harlem. Cant happen. Many people might live there happily ever after, I cant and my girl cant either. No disrespect, it just wont work for me.

s600
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:25 AM

2,312 posts, read 6,525,833 times
In general NJ is no bargain unless you go into areas you describe as being unacceptable to you.

Maybe you and your girlfriend should look into sharing an apartment with some other people. If you two split one room you'll probably have more choices.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM

8,394 posts, read 19,664,519 times
The " crisis" has had little or no effect on the lower end of the real estate market...both sales and rentals... because many people have chosen to downscale as a reaction. This has actually increased the demand( and prices) for the smaller and less expensive places.There are areas outside of Manhattan where sales and rental prices have actually continued to increase throughout the last year.

You are going to have a very ,very difficult time(maybe impossible) finding what you are looking for in Manhattan except maybe in Harlem or Washington Heights and you say that's out of the question.If so,you are probably going to have to settle for one of the places you describe as "too far away."

I live in such a place( what you would probably consider too far away) in The Bronx and the rents on decent studio apartments in decent buildings in my neighborhood have gone up from about 950.00/mo to 1,100.00/mo in the last year or two.

There are lots of nice,still affordable neighborhoods scattered throughout Brooklyn,Queens and especially The Bronx but you are probably going to have to compromise on some element of your criteria...either price,location or what you consider safety.You are just not being realistic.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:42 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,824,865 times
Don't try to convince your girlfriend to live in Hoboken. Compared to Brighton Beach it's fantastic - but she will never be happy there. Have you ever been to Bay Ridge? Nice, safe and decent travel time to Wall Street.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 PM

10,644 posts, read 20,785,867 times
Sounds like your priorities are cheap rent, short commute time to Financial District, no NJ neighborhoods, and no neighborhoods that look like Bushwick.

So... do what someone above said and get a share in a nice neighborhood in Brooklyn with a short commute to FiDi, or look in Bay Ridge.

There's a compromise to be found... somewhere.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM

19,315 posts, read 32,792,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s600 View Post
Hi everybody,

Ive been in NY before for half a year but will go back now with my girl (she's been born and raised in Manhattan). She has to finish college so we have no choice but to live in NYC for at least half a year.

Now heres the problem. While I love NY its a crazy expensive place and the next half year we might have hard time paying all the bills.

Weve been looking for studios and 1BRs for $1,400-$1,500 in Manhattan but it seems like the crisis didnt affect the NY rental market at all (at least in that price range). We found stuff starting at say 1,700 and then you have utilities on top etc..

I suggested getting a place in NJ but my girl said "never ever NJ" (Manhattan pride I guess).

We need something affordable in a safe neighborhood with okay access to the financial district. Id love to find something below $1,500 but that doesnt seem realistic (deduct all the scams in Craiglist and you end up with almost zero..).

Now what I wanted to know: are NJ neighborhoods (say Hoboken i.e.) really so unsafe? Ive been living in Brooklyn for a while (Brighton B) but have never been to NJ..

I also thought about some areas in Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg) but it seems to me that they are either too far away/not safe enough or, as soon as its close to Manhattan, the prices arent that much lower..

Oh, since we all have very different backgrounds I should probably explain whats not safe enough for me. On my first day of my last apartment hunt in '08 I looked at stuff in Bushwick and Harlem. Cant happen. Many people might live there happily ever after, I cant and my girl cant either. No disrespect, it just wont work for me.

s600
well here's a dose of reality:

you most likely wont find anything that suits your criteria in manhattan for $1500 a month. brooklyn maybe. you might be able to find something in fort greene for that price range, or clinton hill. the A/C/2/3/4/5/N/R trains provide great access to the financial district and those trains are accessbile from atlantic ave, lafayette ave, clinton/washington ave (train stations). although i would consider these neighborhoods safe however, i dont know what your comfort level is. fulton street at night can be intimidating to some, as well as the western part of myrtle avenue. but i still think you should check it out before passing judgement. bay ridge, as someone suggested before is also a good choice.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-09-2009, 01:44 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,536,319 times
Quote:
Hi everybody,

s600
why are you in such a rush to live together? She is still in college. I personally think your best best is to stay where you are, save your $$, let her finish her schooling, then move in together...as you will have some more money saved up, hopefully she will have a job, and the same time, hopefully the economy will be better by then. Just saying...that sounds like a far better option.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Brooklyn, much luck though.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM

22 posts, read 57,767 times
I agree with Henna and Irish Eyes about Bay Ridge, my friend pays $1450 for a 2 bedroom apt in a 2 family house in Bay Ridge and loves the neighborhood. Decent commute time to the financial district as well and some really nice local restaurants.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 PM

185 posts, read 569,019 times
Without sharing you can only find apts in your budget way uptown, in Washington Heights or Inwood, if I were you I wouldn't count it out if you absolutely must live in Manhattan since they will prob be your only option.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:18 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,533,826 times
Quote:

Hoboken is really safe. Where in the world did you get the notion that it was unsafe? Hoboken is all yuppies and people fresh out of college; except for the projects there are very, very few pre-gentrification residents still living there.

The whole "I'll only live in NYC" thing I can understand, but you can't knock Hoboken for safety, amenities, or the commute. Craigslist seems to show that there are some legit units in your price range, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City