U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:57 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,509,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectareous View Post
I will post my question here as well. I posted on the "Need info moving to NYC" and got no replies. I am new to this and I could use as much feedback and help as possibe.

I am a 27 yr old girl planning to move to NYC in Summer of 2010. By then I will have 10k saved and 4 years of professional work experience (2 yrs: Applications Support Analyst (Self Storage Company) 2yrs: Financial Systems Analyst (HSBC Bank )).

I understand that it isn't going to be easy, I plan on having a roommate the first yr living there. I don't have much debt. 18K in student loans where I can go down to paying a min of $160/month until I am more stable. Cell Phone bill of $90/month. Other expenses I will incur for living in NYC when I move I expect like rent, utilities, transportation and food.

Question:

1. How likely will it be for me to get a job? How long do you think it will take me? and how much can I expect in Salary? I am shooting for a minimum of 55k/year because I currently make 42k in Upstate NY where cost of living esp. rent is about 30%-60% lower thanNYC.

2. Should I move first or get a job first? I'm thinking move and crash with some friends for 2 months so I can conserve my cash while looking for a job a job. May be move and live in a hostel while i look for a job and neighborhood since I dont know which neighborhood would be best for me.

3. I would like to apply for jobs from where I am but does it decrease my chances of call back not having a NYC address.

4. I have a Bachelors Degree in Business with concentration in Management Information Systems. However, after being in the field for 4 yrs I am looking to move to a new field. I am flexible between associate project/product manager, marketing analyst, product analyst etc etc Intrinsically I am a very analytical person, with a bubbly personality, strategic planning is something that comes natural for me and organizing and managing is 2nd nature. These are strong traits I have professionally discovered I have. Can I sell these traits for the jobs I want?

I will stop here. Please help! Any advice will be great and much appreciated.
$90 for cell phone sounds awfully expensive! Why so much?

Get a job before moving, definitely!

Your skill set sounds impressive but so does everyone else's. There's a lot of competition...and finance is hot...so everyone wants those jobs. You probably have to go back to school if you want to change fields. Times are tough...here's the truth: no one is getting jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:11 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,732,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngiht4life View Post
Hi, I am an 18yo college freshman next fall i wanted to take time off to pursue witting ( currently i am a bio major). Its always been my dream to live in NYC and if went there during the fall semester of next year i will have $5000 to start with. I plan on staying at the YMCA for a week or two while try to find a job. Do you think it will be easy enough for someone w/o much work experience to get a job?
Please do not come here without a job lined up or less then $25,000 to start off........ things here are very very expensive and not easy

Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 PM

7,553 posts, read 7,981,754 times
To kngiht4life, here is another idea that you may like to think about.

If you have some extra money saved, consider coming here as a visiting student for a summer session at one of the local universities. Take one or two required classes that your home school will accept and give you credits for while living in a dorm. You will get to see the city and see if this is some place you would like to live after graduation and you would have a place to stay. You could also try to apply for a summer internship in NYC as well. What is your interest in bio? There are opportunities here for medical as well as EEO. If you wish to write, you really don't have to do that in NYC. You can do that anywhere and as for becoming literary enriched, you can get any book at your home library or college library through interlibrary loan. If you come here as a summer student, you would also get a few college credits out of the way, yet would have the time to see the sites and experience NYC.

Even if you got a job making minimum wage and shared an apartment with a few roommates, you still would have trouble making ends meet. It is just not a realistic idea.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 PM

10,606 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Knight- this is not the right time for you to move to NYC, IMHO. If you want to be a writer, stay in school and then travel, or move somewhere where the living is cheap. It's not glamorous to be poor. And it doesn't necessarily give you anything interesting to write about.

Nectar- try starting your own thread. I never read that moving to NY thread anymore since it got a bit out of control in length. But since you are here now anyway, I would say do NOT expect salaries for jobs are higher here than where you are from just because cost of living is higher. Sure, some companies may compensate their executives that way, but the same is not happening in the salary range you fall into. And while there are some jobs open, the competition is extremely tough. People have amazing qualifications and they are driven -- that's part of the reason they ended up in NY. And those driven/qualified/connected people are the ones you are competing with.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:46 PM

750 posts, read 2,128,793 times
See answers below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectareous View Post
I will post my question here as well. I posted on the "Need info moving to NYC" and got no replies. I am new to this and I could use as much feedback and help as possibe.

I am a 27 yr old girl planning to move to NYC in Summer of 2010. By then I will have 10k saved and 4 years of professional work experience (2 yrs: Applications Support Analyst (Self Storage Company) 2yrs: Financial Systems Analyst (HSBC Bank )).

I understand that it isn't going to be easy, I plan on having a roommate the first yr living there. I don't have much debt. 18K in student loans where I can go down to paying a min of $160/month until I am more stable. Cell Phone bill of $90/month. Other expenses I will incur for living in NYC when I move I expect like rent, utilities, transportation and food.

Question:

1. How likely will it be for me to get a job? How long do you think it will take me? and how much can I expect in Salary? I am shooting for a minimum of 55k/year because I currently make 42k in Upstate NY where cost of living esp. rent is about 30%-60% lower thanNYC.

It'll probably take 6-12 months in this job market. Experienced business analysts tend to make 60-80K in NYC. More senior analysts will make 80-125K and over 125K for directors.

2. Should I move first or get a job first? I'm thinking move and crash with some friends for 2 months so I can conserve my cash while looking for a job a job. May be move and live in a hostel while i look for a job and neighborhood since I dont know which neighborhood would be best for me.

Definitely get a job first. Just use a friend's address as your own while you're searching from where you live, they won't know.

3. I would like to apply for jobs from where I am but does it decrease my chances of call back not having a NYC address.

They won't even look at your resume if you don't have a New York address. They might not even look at it if they don't see New York experience

4. I have a Bachelors Degree in Business with concentration in Management Information Systems. However, after being in the field for 4 yrs I am looking to move to a new field. I am flexible between associate project/product manager, marketing analyst, product analyst etc etc Intrinsically I am a very analytical person, with a bubbly personality, strategic planning is something that comes natural for me and organizing and managing is 2nd nature. These are strong traits I have professionally discovered I have. Can I sell these traits for the jobs I want?

100% of the people you will be competing against have those traits and qualifications. You have to have something unique to offer if you want to compete in the NY job market. It's the best of the best in every field here, you have to think a bit more specialized.

I will stop here. Please help! Any advice will be great and much appreciated.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:34 AM

3,223 posts, read 8,246,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngiht4life View Post
Hi, I am an 18yo college freshman next fall i wanted to take time off to pursue witting ( currently i am a bio major). Its always been my dream to live in NYC and if went there during the fall semester of next year i will have $5000 to start with. I plan on staying at the YMCA for a week or two while try to find a job. Do you think it will be easy enough for someone w/o much work experience to get a job?
U'll blow through that 5,000 and be distracted from writing for trying to work and have some peace which doesn't come readily and cheap. At 18 I had about 4,000 and kept it while living happily at my parents house, if I stayed at my parents just working til age 23 man I'd be rich.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,509,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
U'll blow through that 5,000 and be distracted from writing for trying to work and have some peace which doesn't come readily and cheap. At 18 I had about 4,000 and kept it while living happily at my parents house, if I stayed at my parents just working til age 23 man I'd be rich.
you certainly wouldn't be rich, but you'd def. be better off. I stayed @ home til 26 and i was able to buy a condominium by myself @ 26 years old.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:01 AM

14 posts, read 44,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
See answers below.

Thank you for the heads up. I will start thinking about this some more. Seems like general consensus is to get a job first. I am thinking of throwing my resume back out and apply for some jobs to see what the call back ratio or interview possibility is.

Only bad thing is, I wouldn't want to use someone's New York address and have to pay for my own flight to fly to NYC for interviews. Each time I fly out it will cost me $150-$200. If I do this 5 times its almost 1 month rent.

Do you think its crazy to have 10K, move up there without a job and pick up side jobs like waitressing, retail or even hotel jobs (I have experience in those fields as well) to hold me over till I get the job I want?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Knight- this is not the right time for you to move to NYC, IMHO. If you want to be a writer, stay in school and then travel, or move somewhere where the living is cheap. It's not glamorous to be poor. And it doesn't necessarily give you anything interesting to write about.

Nectar- try starting your own thread. I never read that moving to NY thread anymore since it got a bit out of control in length. But since you are here now anyway, I would say do NOT expect salaries for jobs are higher here than where you are from just because cost of living is higher. Sure, some companies may compensate their executives that way, but the same is not happening in the salary range you fall into. And while there are some jobs open, the competition is extremely tough. People have amazing qualifications and they are driven -- that's part of the reason they ended up in NY. And those driven/qualified/connected people are the ones you are competing with.

Thanks Henna. I will try and start my own thread. and thank you for the info.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
$90 for cell phone sounds awfully expensive! Why so much?

Get a job before moving, definitely!

Your skill set sounds impressive but so does everyone else's. There's a lot of competition...and finance is hot...so everyone wants those jobs. You probably have to go back to school if you want to change fields. Times are tough...here's the truth: no one is getting jobs.

Cellphone bill too high coz its cingular with internet and unlimited text messaging + a million taxes and surcharge. Its pretty average to me, most of my friends and family pay the same amount for the same services.

I definitely plan on going back for my MBA but I don't want to do it unless I am 100% sure what I want to concentrate in for MBA, what field I want to be in etc etc which is why I am doing a career switch now, I am willing ot take a little salary hit but the soft skills they require sound the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City