U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,732,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
The location is nowhere near Marcy Houses.

Um......actually it is and who cares it's still ghetto anyway
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:39 PM

1,121 posts, read 5,918,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Um... no it's not. I'm pretty sure people looking for the info do care.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM

905 posts, read 2,519,963 times
Quote:
Ghetto is, to a certain extent, in the eye of the beholder, but the Marcy Houses are actually closer to the Myrtle J/M/Z stop than the Marcy one:

Marcy Houses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 PM

317 posts, read 1,019,301 times
Quote:
Really not close at all... Flushing Ave. on the G line is the closest stop to Marcy Houses.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:53 AM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
During the day it might not seem so scary since everyone is out and about but some of those school kids can be terrors. Try going there like at night pretend you getting off the subway at 11 like you would do every night and see for yourself if you feel safe because to be honest it's not much better then were you are now.

You also mentioned it was off the Marcy Avenue train stop and once you get off that train it's Marcy Houses (the housing authority projects) so if your going to be alone especially at night and in the winter when no one seems to be out that late just be careful..
no its not....marcy houses are on marcy and myrtle..nowhere near marcy avenue and broadway.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
During the day it might not seem so scary since everyone is out and about but some of those school kids can be terrors. Try going there like at night pretend you getting off the subway at 11 like you would do every night and see for yourself if you feel safe because to be honest it's not much better then were you are now.
I don't think that's quite true. Marcy is the stop for all the hipsters who've moved to Williamsburg. Say what you want to about hipsters, but they've improved the area a lot. And getting off the J train at 11PM isn't bad, at all. Could you compare it to Brooklyn Heights? No! But it's not bad--and I use my own personal scale for making this determination. (I ask myself this question: if I was looking to move somewhere else in Brooklyn, would I consider a neighborhood served by that subway line? And if the answer is yes, then the neighborhood is OK.)

Old 11-11-2009, 10:18 AM

277 posts, read 1,284,918 times
Quote:
e.ortega, Marcy J/M/Z is not near Marcy Projects.

However, the train that is exactly outside Marcy Projects is the "G" train Marcy/Myrtle stop.

Also, I don't think she asked if it was the ghetto, she just wants to know if it's safe.

I recommend you visit the area in the evening. What seems safe to me may not seem safe to you.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,794,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Its not one of the best areas but that could be said about most of Brooklyn.
That area looks a little run-down but it is not that bad. But it's not really justified to extend it to all of Brooklyn. Brooklyn is a huge place with a tremendous array of different areas. Many are very quiet and safe.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 AM

1,836 posts, read 2,833,291 times
Marcy Projects is NOT "no where near" this stop.. its several blocks away if i recall. not too far.

Someone mentioned upthread that the L- Myrtle/Wykoff is worse- i disagree. However, thats just my opinion. Myrtle/Wykoff seperates Bushwick & Ridgewood. I would just stay on the Ridgewood side. Both areas appear shady at night but the Ridgewood side on the L is way better than the Bushwick of the J.

Go to Ridgewick!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM

317 posts, read 1,019,301 times
I'm not sure why the relative location of the Marcy Houses is being debated, you could simply look at a map to see where they are. They are a pretty long walk from the Marcy Ave stop. Flushing Ave. is the closest J/M/Z stop - they're a few blocks from there.

You may be thinking of Jonathan Williams Plaza, that is by the Marcy Ave. station.

On the original topic, it is subjective but in my opinion the area around the Marcy Ave. stop is an upgrade from Myrtle-Wyckoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City