U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:17 PM

48 posts, read 93,147 times

Advertisements

(Ive just started this city data account so bare with me if i make some sort of errors with this)

So right before i started high school my parents moved to North Carolina and they really know how much i miss ny (lived in queens originally) and are supporting me all the way to let me move back for college and this came to mind, with all the gentrification going on even in the outer boroughs, in lets say 20 years, will there be any neighborhoods that are affordable for low-income residents or will almost everywhere be pretty much like manhattan and expensive as ever. I really wouldnt like to see NYC just be all for the rich and those making 6 digits (im not saying thats a bad thing but i meant will there be anywhere for people making less than that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 04:59 AM

84 posts, read 287,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $hayT93 View Post
(Ive just started this city data account so bare with me if i make some sort of errors with this)

So right before i started high school my parents moved to North Carolina and they really know how much i miss ny (lived in queens originally) and are supporting me all the way to let me move back for college and this came to mind, with all the gentrification going on even in the outer boroughs, in lets say 20 years, will there be any neighborhoods that are affordable for low-income residents or will almost everywhere be pretty much like manhattan and expensive as ever. I really wouldnt like to see NYC just be all for the rich and those making 6 digits (im not saying thats a bad thing but i meant will there be anywhere for people making less than that)
Welcome to City-Data!

NYC has a long history of gentrification, some very quick procesess and some slow. After all developments we have been seing in the low-income neighborhoods people automatically think that this means that those neighborhoods will be gentrified, but I dont think they will manage to gentrify most of the areas theyre trying to simply because of tension in the real estate markets today and more and more of these new projects are being abandoned, appartements going for much less than asking and crime (in my opinion) will rise.

Dont take this for a fact, but this is my opninion. I dont think central Harlem will ever be as bad as it was in the 80s, but gentrification wont catch on when gentrifiers start leaving and investors stop investing. If investors in the low-income neghborhoods pull their money out because they cant sell their "Harlem luxury condos" for a million bucks more and more people are going to pull their money out. This is going to turn into a circle where after a while interest in these hoods go way down and we have a bunch of vacant buildings left on what used to be empty lots.

I also hope they start realizing they cant price out people from their neghborhoods just to make money...

These are my opnions, now we just have to wait and see how it evolves.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:04 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,424,865 times
still affordable housing in NYC and they do have buildings for low and middle income that you can apply for. But, most of NYC and the boroughs is being taken over by the wealthy and you can blame it on bloomberg he turned a city into a Fortune 500 blue chip stock ..........not longer a city its a Business/company...that you have to buy shares of.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
still affordable housing in NYC and they do have buildings for low and middle income that you can apply for. But, most of NYC and the boroughs is being taken over by the wealthy and you can blame it on bloomberg he turned a city into a Fortune 500 blue chip stock ..........not longer a city its a Business/company...that you have to buy shares of.
Yeah its also loosing its "soul". The small cornerstores all over the city are being replaced by big company names...

Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 AM

2,240 posts, read 2,667,089 times
No....impossible to gentrify the whole city. It won't happen. I think the peak of all this gentrification hit. NY has a vast middle/working class, and will remain that way.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 AM

965 posts, read 2,106,435 times
In my humble opinion I find the process to be a cyclical one. In order for NY to maintain its status as a world class city it must retain its diversity both economic and cultural. A city cannot rely on one segment of its population or economic sector and expect to succeed, so this gentrifying process may crest then level off. The city may go from being financial sector centric to focusing on something else, because in order to keep a healthy local economy you have to retain your middle and working class, the people who will have longterm investments in the city. Their situation is unlike the rich who can pick up and leave whenever or have very little stake in the city in comparison.

That is not to say that there shouldn't be concessions made to the wealthy, they have a role in the situation as well. Though they've been overcompensated in the past decade.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:49 PM

8,831 posts, read 14,237,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
No you can blame it on NY City being a huge urban agglomeration with limits due to waterways that not only force urban development in other directions to go further and further out, but also places limitations like toll bridges and tunnels on the cost of commuting. With work weeks that have either increased or become more variable between workdays, for many, having as short and low-cost a commute as possible has become a higher priority than it once was. If you work in Manhattan, the only place that truly has a short, low-cost commute is Manhattan itself, then after that, parts of the outer boros that border Manhattan. So areas that were once considered "far" like Harlem and Washington Heights that were "lower income" areas now have a new "desirability" that results in gentrification.

Also, in the 70s, Manhattan commuters tried to live as far away as possible so they could use commuter rail instead of the dirty, dangerous subway. But now the subway is so clean and convenient that having access to it is an asset, which in addition to upper Manhattan has made some outer boro neighborhoods more desirable.

In most cities, your theory about gentrification having to stop somewhere would be true, but in the case of NY it has more to do with available land vs. distance from the business center. To have middle and lower class areas near Manhattan in the future I think you will unfortunately have to see a situation that reduces the population of the metro area as happened from the late 1960s into the mid 1980s. It would probably unfortunately have to be something catastropic to the city's economy, like the financial sector cratering 3x as hard than it did in 2008-09.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 AM

73 posts, read 115,406 times
Most of you are fools.

If that incompetent moron Thompson would have defeated Bloomberg, New York would be in serious decline.

I suspect the anti-Bloomberg posters are welfare parasites who hate and are jealous of success and the good people it attracts (wealthy, smart, yuppies) and and are upset at the bad people it displaces (loud mouth, smelly, welfare leaching low-IQ trash) and pray for New York's demise into Detroit II....so they can feel better about their meager existence. New York City should always be a "Fortune 500 Blue Stock" and should always remain the capital of wealth and prosperity. New York City remaining a "luxury city", as Bloomberg calls it, makes the city more livable (re: safer, cleaner, more beautiful).

If you want a dumpy, poor, low-class Detroit II, please find an enclave in East New York or Newark and wallow in your desired filth. Plenty of "affordable" dumps in numerous slums in the outer-boroughs of the city.

Mayor Bloombuck$ is one of the best thing that has happened to this city.

Last edited by Gordon Gekko.; 04-18-2010 at 01:47 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko. View Post
Most of you are fools.

If that incompetent moron Thompson would have defeated Bloomberg, New York would be in serious decline.

I suspect the anti-Bloomberg posters are welfare parasites who hate and are jealous of success and the good people it attracts (wealthy, smart, yuppies) and and are upset at the bad people it displaces (loud mouth, smelly, welfare leaching low-IQ trash) and pray for New York's demise into Detroit II....so they can feel better about their meager existence. New York City should always be a "Fortune 500 Blue Stock" and should always remain the capital of wealth and prosperity. New York City remaining a "luxury city", as Bloomberg calls it, makes the city more livable (re: safer, cleaner, more beautiful).

If you want a dumpy, poor, low-class Detroit II, please find an enclave in East New York or Newark and wallow in your desired filth. Plenty of "affordable" dumps in numerous slums in the outer-boroughs of the city.

Mayor Bloombuck$ is one of the best thing that has happened to this city.
Hahaha, by the way you're speaking you sound the most like a fool here. Obviously don't know anything about anyone in the low-income neighborhoods.

Why would you think all low-income people are on welfare? Because of snobby, greedy and spoiled paracites that wants more and more money so they won't pay a decent salary.

Because of people like you there are huge differences between people and you don't give a damn. If it wasn't for the "loud mouth, smelly, welfare leaching low-IQ trash" you wouldn't make it through your day. Think about that when you sip fancy wine in your downtown penthouse.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
I'm on board with Twist07. Gentrification, like everything else that's happened in this town from the day it was founded, is cyclical. Neighborhoods change, people move in and out...that's the way it goes. For that reason, I don't make predictions about what the city is going to look like in 20 years, or 50 years, or the next century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City