U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM

106 posts, read 244,918 times

Advertisements

New York is one of the most relaxing and convenient city I've ever lived in. Overall, it is the best.

It's funny, driving to work via car from Manhattan to my office in Midtown is much faster than riding the subway. Rarely is doing the intra-commute within Manhattan fastest via car, but luckily in my case it is. I think avoiding the subway (avoiding germs, offensive smells and being packed third-world subway like sardines) greatly ads to my quality of life. I drive, cab it or use my feet.

I wake up in my quaint Far West Village neighborhood, get in my car, drive up the WSH to work in Midtown (I also love the hectic pace of Midtown, so I get my fix during the weekdays) and back home to the quaint, calm West Village. Everything is always at my fingertips. Everything is so perfect, this city is so perfect.

I love New York!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 03:20 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,558,155 times
I would say that its not stressful, but can be frustrating. It is frustrating to see people throw garbage on the streets when they are 2 feet from a garbage can. It is frustrating to -feel- like everyone has alot of money and you don't. It is frustrating to be sandwiched in a train like a sardine. In addition, it is frustrating to have to be in trains/public areas with people who are ghetto/obnoxious/rude/vulgar/loud/elitist all the time (you are around someone that fits one of these descriptions basically all the time). It is frustrating to deal with street parking, which includes moving your car from one side to the other, digging out from snow, and the typical dings that go along with street parking.

All of these things can add up to stress, but the reality is they are just frustrating. However, the benefits of living in this city far outweigh these frustrations, which is why I stay. Some poeple just dont' have the personality for it, actually most people don't, which is one of the reasons why the bulk of the population lives elsewhere.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:56 PM

500 posts, read 1,373,361 times
I rather take the fast pace of NYC than the slow pace of life I have to deal with out here where I live in Virginia.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,130,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would say that its not stressful, but can be frustrating. It is frustrating to see people throw garbage on the streets when they are 2 feet from a garbage can. It is frustrating to -feel- like everyone has alot of money and you don't. It is frustrating to be sandwiched in a train like a sardine. In addition, it is frustrating to have to be in trains/public areas with people who are ghetto/obnoxious/rude/vulgar/loud/elitist all the time (you are around someone that fits one of these descriptions basically all the time). It is frustrating to deal with street parking, which includes moving your car from one side to the other, digging out from snow, and the typical dings that go along with street parking.

All of these things can add up to stress, but the reality is they are just frustrating. However, the benefits of living in this city far outweigh these frustrations, which is why I stay. Some poeple just dont' have the personality for it, actually most people don't, which is one of the reasons why the bulk of the population lives elsewhere.
I second this wholeheartedly. I was just thinking this the other day how frustrating it can be having to deal with various people who just seem to waste your time in one way or another everyday (not moving into the train, taking up the whole sidewalk and walking slowly, etc...), but at the end of the day, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM

8,833 posts, read 14,240,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
New York is one of the most relaxing and convenient city I've ever lived in. Overall, it is the best.

It's funny, driving to work via car from Manhattan to my office in Midtown is much faster than riding the subway. Rarely is doing the intra-commute within Manhattan fastest via car, but luckily in my case it is. I think avoiding the subway (avoiding germs, offensive smells and being packed third-world subway like sardines) greatly ads to my quality of life. I drive, cab it or use my feet.

I wake up in my quaint Far West Village neighborhood, get in my car, drive up the WSH to work in Midtown (I also love the hectic pace of Midtown, so I get my fix during the weekdays) and back home to the quaint, calm West Village. Everything is always at my fingertips. Everything is so perfect, this city is so perfect.

I love New York!
I'm glad you can afford it (isn't it an enormous cost to park your car at work every day?). If everyone in Manhattan thought like you we'd have the mother of all gridlocks!

But that said, my take on what's so stressful here:

1) COMMUTES! The only way to really have an easy commute to a Manhattan job is to live walking distance to it; and you almost have to be a millionaire to afford such a place. I live in southern Westchester and my train-to-subway commute of just under 20 miles took longer than it took me to drive to my next job in northern Westchester, which was 30 miles each way. I have a sometimes temp job in CT now that's 40 miles each way, but because it's immediately on/off the highway and not during rush hour, it takes me less time than that train commute. It would be very frustrating for the subway to get stuck between two stops, I'd miss my Metro North train by 2 minutes and have to just wait around 20 minutes doing nothing for the next train.

If to save money I wanted to take a subway to a Bronx terminus and then get on a bus home, it would take me more time to commute 20 miles than it would in many areas to commute 50 miles!

2) EXPENSES! While there are a few somewhat comparable places (California comes to mind), nowhere does your salary get spent more than here! Big taxes! Then you either having big parking fees or big transit fees, especially if you live in commuter train territory (as opposed to near a subway). And if you have a family, you almost need to make six figures to truly afford housing.

3) WORKAHOLISM! This area really has the most "workaholic" culture in America, yes there are some individual industries like this everywhere (lawyers, doctors, investment banking), and some other areas where SOME local industries are like that (Silicon Valley tech jobs, for example), but here it is almost pervasive in every job and industry. It seems that everyone works 12 hours a day, etc. and there's lots of pressure to do the same, which is difficult if you have a long commute (very likely) or if you have a family.

4) CROWDING! In Manhattan it is crowded no matter where you go, and because it is such a vast and dense area, you have to live really really far out compared to most areas to truly have "open space". So claustrophobics really need not apply.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:17 PM

331 posts, read 583,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I guess this can be an off-shoot of the "are you leaving NYC, and if so, why?" thread. a lot of people on that thread shared their experiences with the city, and it seemed to me from the responses, that this city can really stress you out! so i'm just wondering what's so stressful about this place?

the floor is open for discussion....maybe we can even find some stress-relievers!
I have to question have active some of these posters on CD really are. By nature, people who enjoy websites like this, especially frequent poster's, tend to be 'home bodies'.

People who are active outside of work don't waste time on internet forums. Sure maybe on a rainy day once in awhile or something like that, by frequently? Nobody can fool me, I know people.

So, if they go from work to home, sure they don't get stressed. Who does in the comfort of your own place? Being packed on a Subway, or waiting in long lines, or whatever, stresses everybody out. Whether they admit it or not.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM

10,612 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
I have to question have active some of these posters on CD really are. By nature, people who enjoy websites like this, especially frequent poster's, tend to be 'home bodies'.

People who are active outside of work don't waste time on internet forums. Sure maybe on a rainy day once in awhile or something like that, by frequently? Nobody can fool me, I know people.

So, if they go from work to home, sure they don't get stressed. Who does in the comfort of your own place? Being packed on a Subway, or waiting in long lines, or whatever, stresses everybody out. Whether they admit it or not.
I'm not quite sure I get what you are saying. Are you saying that because most of the people on here are saying they don't get stressed, that this means they are only venturing out of their house to go to work and back (because obviously if they are posting here, they don't have a life?) And the fact that they only go to work and back means they don't go in the subway and they don't wait on line for anything?

This is the part I don't get. Even if I were to agree with you that regular posters are home bodies and are therefore posting stress-free from the comfort of their palatial and comfortable NYC living rooms, this doesn't take into account that everyone, even if by nature a homebody, still has to shop for groceries and most likely take the subway every day to work. And has neighbors!

btw, if you haven't learned this yet in life-- it's not always a good idea to make assumptions about people you really don't know much about!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 PM

10,612 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
For me, I can relieve more than half my stress in NYC by not owning a car.
What's the other half come from?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,401,159 times
NYC isn't stressful to me, I'm a laid back person so I'll cut all stress out if it gets to high. My commute is over an hour just to get from South Jamaica to Flushing and it can be annoying at times (especially when it snows in the Winter) but I've been doing it for 3 years so I'm used to it and plus I relax (if I get a seat) and listen to my iPod, I spend a little over 2 hours a day commuting. I don't live in the crowds and "hustle and bustle" of Manhattan.

I can't wait to live in the "slower" South though.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:14 PM

331 posts, read 583,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm not quite sure I get what you are saying. Are you saying that because most of the people on here are saying they don't get stressed, that this means they are only venturing out of their house to go to work and back (because obviously if they are posting here, they don't have a life?) And the fact that they only go to work and back means they don't go in the subway and they don't wait on line for anything?

This is the part I don't get. Even if I were to agree with you that regular posters are home bodies and are therefore posting stress-free from the comfort of their palatial and comfortable NYC living rooms, this doesn't take into account that everyone, even if by nature a homebody, still has to shop for groceries and most likely take the subway every day to work. And has neighbors!

btw, if you haven't learned this yet in life-- it's not always a good idea to make assumptions about people you really don't know much about!
I'm not saying they don't have "no life". But, there are way too many things to do in nyc for people to be posting on here as often as they do. I'm talking about the ones who post here daily, and for hours at a time at that.

What you call "assumptions", I call being "observent", or "knowing better". Every city on CD has these type of posters. They rant and rave about how great their city is, or how much they love it, etc. Yet here they are, day and night posting on CD. Seriously, when you start getting triple or even quadruple rep points, you're spending way too much time on the computer. Or atleast too much time to not call yourself a "home body".

With all the musuems, concerts, broadway plays, opera, bars, restaurants, etc that nyc has, why would someone waste time, or atleast 'a lot' of time on here?

The posters on here who've been members for years and still have hardly any post or rep points, those are the ones who it's safe to say that are out enjoying themselves.

This website can be a great tool, I'm not denying it's importance. But some people lives actually revolve around it.

Sitting in front of your labtop isn't exactly stressful if you know what I mean...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City