U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
I'm not saying they don't have "no life". But, there are way too many things to do in nyc for people to be posting on here as often as they do. I'm talking about the ones who post here daily, and for hours at a time at that.

What you call "assumptions", I call being "observent", or "knowing better". Every city on CD has these type of posters. They rant and rave about how great their city is, or how much they love it, etc. Yet here they are, day and night posting on CD. Seriously, when you start getting triple or even quadruple rep points, you're spending way too much time on the computer. Or atleast too much time to not call yourself a "home body".

With all the musuems, concerts, broadway plays, opera, bars, restaurants, etc that nyc has, why would someone waste time, or atleast 'a lot' of time on here?

The posters on here who've been members for years and still have hardly any post or rep points, those are the ones who it's safe to say that are out enjoying themselves.

This website can be a great tool, I'm not denying it's importance. But some people lives actually revolve around it.

Sitting in front of your labtop isn't exactly stressful if you know what I mean...
I could be called a regular with many rep points. Luckily, my parents taught me how to multi-task. So again, I would just caution you not to make too many assumptions about people.

And perhaps the posters who have been on here for years without rep points aren't contributing anything worth repping. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I was just thinking this the other day how frustrating it can be having to deal with various people who just seem to waste your time in one way or another everyday
It's true that people like this can be very frustrating. On the other hand, there are ignorant people everywhere. Ignorance and bullheadedness is certainly not unique to NYC.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualDreamer View Post
NYC doesn't stress me out at all. I am talking about the energy of the city, busy sidewalks, subways, etc. Even having my apartment face on a busy street didn't bother me that much, it became the background noise after some time. I love the hustle and bustle of the city, it energizes me when I go outside in the morning to get to work, it wakes you up. I also absolutely love not having streets deserted after it gets dark, there is always life and activity. I don't find this stressful at all.

On the other hand, when I am at home I want some peace and quiet at least for a few hours and unfortunately in Manhattan it's a tough commodity to obtain. My living situation is what stresses me out and not because we are in a tiny apartment or have to share with roommates, not at all. It's the neighboring families that stress me out. I have a newborn sharing a bedroom wall with us and upstairs is a family with a hyper toddler. Between the two I have no peace and I don't know where to run away... I say this problem is not a problem with all the other big cities, I believe it's a Manhattan problem where families are forced to squeeze into very small apartments (both families live in 1 bedrooms) and where both parents are forced to work to make the ends meet. this creates noisy situation for neighbors and as always dealing with noise from children and families you are not going to get any sympathy. It is what it is, kids are noisy, running around, throwing tantrums is what they do, so you never get any resolution and nobody wants to hear you.

This is what stresses me out about NYC, sharing walls with families and getting no relief from management company and no cooperation from parents. Perhaps, some of you native NYCers are used to this and for you loud objects thrown against bare floors and screaming kids next door is a normal background noise, but for us, it was a very tough situation to get used to. I am definitely not going to get used to it as I need some relative peace when I come home, so Manhattan isn't a good fit. It's even more stressful than a stress at work or elbowing people around on a subway, it's when you get no peace unless it's the few hours of the night when the families sleep.
i understand you, but could Manhattan really be to blame for this situation? this can happen in any major US city that has residential apartment buildings. i am sympathetic for you, but your situation is an individual one, please dont blame our city!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM

stress: tension: (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense

Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,128,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's true that people like this can be very frustrating. On the other hand, there are ignorant people everywhere. Ignorance and bullheadedness is certainly not unique to NYC.
Not unique, that's for sure, but the abudance is a lot more noticeable just because of the sheer amount of people. Of course, I'm sure you can say the same for the opposite kind of people, but I guess I tend to notice the things that bother me more than the other.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:11 AM

16,464 posts, read 20,002,503 times
How can any city where you're not a slave to a car be stressful?

I stress out everytime I put the key into the ignition of one of these necessary evils. And let's not talk about the stress of coming to my first intersection or the second or third. Or the constant worry of driving on a freeway with no apparent shoulder to change a flat tire. Your car breaking down at the wrong time, wrong place and then stressing out on how many hundreds or thousands it will take from my travel fund to get it fixed.

Anytime I come to NYC, not being dependent on a car, even if I'm on a crowded street or subway, I still feel it's as relaxing as being in a Lazy-Boy rocker.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:34 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,078,231 times
I think for the most part it all depends on who you are as a person. I myself am a pretty laid-back, mellow person so I don't stress out to often. On the other hand I know people who like to do a million things at one time; they may not have to do it this way, but this is the way they function best, and many times if there's no chaos in their life, they actually get bored..

Old 11-12-2009, 11:03 AM

90 posts, read 250,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i understand you, but could Manhattan really be to blame for this situation? this can happen in any major US city that has residential apartment buildings. i am sympathetic for you, but your situation is an individual one, please dont blame our city!
Actually I disagree. It is much more probable to live next to more than one family in Manhattan than any other city of the US. Manhattan is the only city in the US that has extremely limited non-apartment housing options and high number of families living in apartment setting. Most cities have residential neighborhoods within the city proper where you can have a single family home or a townhouse or a rowhouse that would be affordable to someone who is not a multi-millionaire, which is where urban families tend to reside. So, very very few families would reside in apartment buildings and those that do would be able to afford a much bigger place than what they can in Manhattan, so families of 4 crammed into 1 bedroom isn't what you will find when you choose apartment living in all other US cities.

If I live in an apartment in SF or LA or any other major city I am much more likely to have singles or elderly or childless couples as neighbors that won't be able to tell you "this is just what the kids do, it's Manhattan, deal with it" when they are making excessive noise like my neighbor with hyper toddler from upstairs apartment. Cops and landlords would be much more sympathetic if you complain about partying youngsters next door and problem would be dealt with. From what my landlord told me it's illegal to pursue action against a family due to the noise associated with the newborn. And I understand and completely agree with it. People with newborns shouldn't be harassed about noise. and all I can do is deal with it, it's just unfortunate the walls are so thin and that this is my bedroom wall, it's unfortunate this doesn't give me an excuse to get out of my lease unless I get a lawyer and make a case out of it. I agree with you that my situation may not be typical for many who reside in Manhattan. But this situation is much much less likely to happen in any other city of the US where those who are about to have a baby would be able to choose to live in a non-apartment setting and still continue living in the city and enjoy city amenities.

I love the city of NYC, I think it's the best and I have considered moving here permanently. It does provide very easy living with being able to get anything you want within the 2 block radius of your apartment. I will feel extremely sad having to leave, but my only choice to stay in NYC is to find some accommodations that would provide a bit more privacy from neighbors. I am hoping to get out of my lease and look for a top floor apartment or the one which wont' share a bedroom wall with neighbors. The only option to get something like a townhouse would be to move to the boroughs and that type of housing in nice areas that are easy commute to Manhattan are way more expensive than what we can afford.

So, I guess the type of housing I can afford here is what makes my life stressful.

There is a poster on this thread that seems to have enough money to live in West Village quiet type of housing, and even drive his/her car to work. If I had this level of wealth I would also find NYC living extremely cushy and much less stressful.

So far, I think returning to SF and living in a townhouse walking distance to amenities and to public transport and being able to have your own car and your garage for recreational driving is more ideal and much more comfortable and less stressful for us than Manhattan even though I like NYC more.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualDreamer View Post
Actually I disagree. It is much more probable to live next to more than one family in Manhattan than any other city of the US. Manhattan is the only city in the US that has extremely limited non-apartment housing options and high number of families living in apartment setting. Most cities have residential neighborhoods within the city proper where you can have a single family home or a townhouse or a rowhouse that would be affordable to someone who is not a multi-millionaire, which is where urban families tend to reside. So, very very few families would reside in apartment buildings and those that do would be able to afford a much bigger place than what they can in Manhattan, so families of 4 crammed into 1 bedroom isn't what you will find when you choose apartment living in all other US cities.

If I live in an apartment in SF or LA or any other major city I am much more likely to have singles or elderly or childless couples as neighbors that won't be able to tell you "this is just what the kids do, it's Manhattan, deal with it" when they are making excessive noise like my neighbor with hyper toddler from upstairs apartment. Cops and landlords would be much more sympathetic if you complain about partying youngsters next door and problem would be dealt with. From what my landlord told me it's illegal to pursue action against a family due to the noise associated with the newborn. And I understand and completely agree with it. People with newborns shouldn't be harassed about noise. and all I can do is deal with it, it's just unfortunate the walls are so thin and that this is my bedroom wall, it's unfortunate this doesn't give me an excuse to get out of my lease unless I get a lawyer and make a case out of it. I agree with you that my situation may not be typical for many who reside in Manhattan. But this situation is much much less likely to happen in any other city of the US where those who are about to have a baby would be able to choose to live in a non-apartment setting and still continue living in the city and enjoy city amenities.

I love the city of NYC, I think it's the best and I have considered moving here permanently. It does provide very easy living with being able to get anything you want within the 2 block radius of your apartment. I will feel extremely sad having to leave, but my only choice to stay in NYC is to find some accommodations that would provide a bit more privacy from neighbors. I am hoping to get out of my lease and look for a top floor apartment or the one which wont' share a bedroom wall with neighbors. The only option to get something like a townhouse would be to move to the boroughs and that type of housing in nice areas that are easy commute to Manhattan are way more expensive than what we can afford.

So, I guess the type of housing I can afford here is what makes my life stressful.

There is a poster on this thread that seems to have enough money to live in West Village quiet type of housing, and even drive his/her car to work. If I had this level of wealth I would also find NYC living extremely cushy and much less stressful.

So far, I think returning to SF and living in a townhouse walking distance to amenities and to public transport and being able to have your own car and your garage for recreational driving is more ideal and much more comfortable and less stressful for us than Manhattan even though I like NYC more.
first of all manhattan is part of NYC. There are many parts of NYC that have single family houses. the borough of manhattan itself does not have many single family homes. Second of all, how can you currently afford to live in Manhattan, but not in the outer boroughs? Manhattan is the most expensive place to live in the city, hands down. The outer boroughs are cheaper. Third of all, since the comparison between SF and NYC came up, Manhattan has been populated for hundreds of years. Its older, and more densely built than SF. With all the natural disasters that occured in SF, (earthquake and fire of 1904), the city had a chance to rebuild and redesign. maybe thats why its easier in SF to find single-family houses closer to the city center than NYC. Manhattan is on an island, so we have to build up rather than out. We dont have the space like SF does.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:40 PM

90 posts, read 250,148 times
Quote:
first of all manhattan is part of NYC. There are many parts of NYC that have single family houses. the borough of manhattan itself does not have many single family homes.
That is the fact I was referring to. Manhattan is a very different place than any other city in the US in that respect. I chose to live in Manhattan because I work here, not because I wasn't aware of other boroughs, it was easier and more logical choice since we have no kids.

Quote:
Second of all, how can you currently afford to live in Manhattan, but not in the outer boroughs? Manhattan is the most expensive place to live in the city, hands down. The outer boroughs are cheaper.
When I was talking about moving to boroughs I only considered townhouse/single family house type of living arrangements. I wouldn't move to the boroughs just to go to another apartment as I can already afford to live in one in Manhattan close to work. There is no reason for us to commute unless we can get more privacy in a non-apartment setting. I was referring to prices for single family/rowhouse type of housing in areas of Brooklyn that are easy commute to Manhattan that won't require transfers from trains to subway or buses to subway or drive to the train. The prices for such homes are much more than in SF and we would not be able to afford to buy anything had we decided to move here permanently.

Quote:
Third of all, since the comparison between SF and NYC came up, Manhattan has been populated for hundreds of years. Its older, and more densely built than SF. With all the natural disasters that occured in SF, (earthquake and fire of 1904), the city had a chance to rebuild and redesign. maybe thats why its easier in SF to find single-family houses closer to the city center than NYC. Manhattan is on an island, so we have to build up rather than out. We dont have the space like SF does.
I am aware of that and that's exactly what I am trying to point out. Manhattan is very unique and unlike any other city in the US, that is why the problem I am experiencing is more likely to happen here than in any other city in the apartment setting. Also, San Francisco is a small city in comparison with Manhattan especially when it comes to population numbers, but unlike what you are saying the space on the peninsula surrounded by water is limited and there are no areas with empty lots where you can build more single family houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City