U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:43 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,497,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What's the other half come from?
I'd probably have to say the overcrowding of the city in general. It's grown a lot since I was a kid and parts of NYC which never used to be very busy are not bustling with activity, which isn't always a good thing. Markets, malls, beaches, parks, and the streets in general are more crowded than any other time I can remember. But that sort of thing comes with the territory if you choose to live in a big city like NY, LA, Chicago etc. I'm sure residents of other big cities experience similar frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,497,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
I have to question have active some of these posters on CD really are. By nature, people who enjoy websites like this, especially frequent poster's, tend to be 'home bodies'.

People who are active outside of work don't waste time on internet forums. Sure maybe on a rainy day once in awhile or something like that, by frequently? Nobody can fool me, I know people.

So, if they go from work to home, sure they don't get stressed. Who does in the comfort of your own place? Being packed on a Subway, or waiting in long lines, or whatever, stresses everybody out. Whether they admit it or not.
A lot of folks post on forums from work during down time or during the course of their workday. I work in a "feast or famine" environment, so it's either really busy or very slow. A majority of my posts have been made from the office. Your tax dollars hard at work!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,280,037 times
I myself am a laid back person and don't really let the "hussle and bussle" of the people or the "Move out my way I'm too important" people of the rush hours bother me. In the end, I think everyone has somewhere to go and something important to do, so it doesn't get to me. The thing that stresses me out is just the MTA AT TIMES (for the most part, I have really learned to appreciate the NYC transit A LOT) wants to or threatens to go on strike almost every year, and some of the NYC cops can sometimes be a huge pain in the arse and think they can get away with everything.

Other than that, if I am feeling stressed I head to Flushing Meadows or Astoria Park in Queens or Pelham Bay and just chill out and relax and get my mind off things.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 PM

19,183 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualDreamer View Post
When I was talking about moving to boroughs I only considered townhouse/single family house type of living arrangements. I wouldn't move to the boroughs just to go to another apartment as I can already afford to live in one in Manhattan close to work. There is no reason for us to commute unless we can get more privacy in a non-apartment setting. I was referring to prices for single family/rowhouse type of housing in areas of Brooklyn that are easy commute to Manhattan that won't require transfers from trains to subway or buses to subway or drive to the train. The prices for such homes are much more than in SF and we would not be able to afford to buy anything had we decided to move here permanently.
just for the record you could have lived in brooklyn heights. the demographic is mostly older people, not families, and you would be one stop away from the financial district on the 2/3 train or A/C train. also, pre-war apartment vs. post-war apartment makes a big difference in terms of sound attenuation...but overall it just seems like you would be better off in a suburban lifestyle anyway. the apartment thing isnt for you.

Quote:
I am aware of that and that's exactly what I am trying to point out. Manhattan is very unique and unlike any other city in the US, that is why the problem I am experiencing is more likely to happen here than in any other city in the apartment setting. Also, San Francisco is a small city in comparison with Manhattan especially when it comes to population numbers, but unlike what you are saying the space on the peninsula surrounded by water is limited and there are no areas with empty lots where you can build more single family houses.
true, but my point was that SF got to rebuild 3/4th of their city and plan it better, NYC did not. this is why you can find your townhouse with close proximity to downtown SF and u can't do this in NYC.

as for the hyperactive toddler, the blame goes to the parents for not being able to control their child.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 PM

16,486 posts, read 20,022,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
With all the natural disasters that occured in SF, (earthquake and fire of 1904), the city had a chance to rebuild and redesign. maybe thats why its easier in SF to find single-family houses closer to the city center than NYC. Manhattan is on an island, so we have to build up rather than out. We dont have the space like SF does.
If Manhattan had had the powerful, controlling NIMBY's San Fran-nimby had all along, there still might be any number of single family residences in Manhattan, and a population half the size.

Propose to build anything in that city without consulting each individual condo/home owner in the hills so it won't block anyone's view of the Bay? How dare they!

Last edited by tijlover; 11-12-2009 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 11-13-2009, 09:31 AM

90 posts, read 250,261 times
Quote:
just for the record you could have lived in brooklyn heights. the demographic is mostly older people, not families, and you would be one stop away from the financial district on the 2/3 train or A/C train. also, pre-war apartment vs. post-war apartment makes a big difference in terms of sound attenuation...but overall it just seems like you would be better off in a suburban lifestyle anyway. the apartment thing isnt for you.
Apartment thing may not be for us, you make a good point here. However, I am not a suburbanite or intend to move to the suburbs. I can simply move back to SF to my own house with a garage walking distance to amenities, parks and public transport with an option to drive my car and park it in my garage without a hassle. I guess, my lifestyle would be a bit more suburban in nature, but I definitely have options to commute to work or do some shopping and recreational activities in the park without driving. Manhattan or apartment living isn't the only way to experience urban lifestyle.

Brooklyn is great, but unfortunately I cannot afford to spend 2 million to own a rowhouse in the safe desirable area that is easy commute to Midtown. I wouldn't risk moving to an apartment building in Brooklyn heights on a promise that I may or may not have noisy families next to me. If I must commute, I must get a house of sorts. Whenever I lived in an apartment I always chose walking distance to work type of places.

Quote:
as for the hyperactive toddler, the blame goes to the parents for not being able to control their child.
We all know there are ill-behaved children and well-behaved children and good and bad parenting, but try telling this to the parents! It's never a good idea, so I always deal with the landlord unless the neighbor confronts me directly about complaining. The other problem is that when you complain people tend to site with families more so than with single people and the fact that you have no kids automatically discredits your ability to judge behavior of children.

I guess I just got unlucky..
So far we are dealing with the infant by sleeping in the living room, it makes our apartment feel like a studio with a big storage. We adopt.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:49 AM

583 posts, read 1,114,772 times
Quote:

We all know there are ill-behaved children and well-behaved children and good and bad parenting, but try telling this to the parents! It's never a good idea, so I always deal with the landlord unless the neighbor confronts me directly about complaining. The other problem is that when you complain people tend to site with families more so than with single people and the fact that you have no kids automatically discredits your ability to judge behavior of children.

I guess I just got unlucky..
So far we are dealing with the infant by sleeping in the living room, it makes our apartment feel like a studio with a big storage. We adopt.
I can tell you from personal experience that families are not immune from having to follow the rules set by the building as far as noise regulation is concerned. I think the issue here is with your landlord and you need to be persistent to get it resolved. I suspect you are renting from a condo or coop owner and probably illegally, so they are worried to complain to the board or condo management if they haven't obtained some needed approvals. You have to threaten your landlord to stop rent payments, until the matter is handled, it seems like your situation is bad enough to be able to pursue it legally and you should be able to get out of your lease.

If you live in a managed apartment building there should be more than one person you can talk to about your problem. If whoever is assigned to your case is not cooperating contact their supervisor and take it as high up the chain as you need to to get someone to listen to you. I am very surprised the building wouldn't do anything about constant noise complaints.

as far the newborn is concerned, you are a bit out of luck there, but you still can talk to the family or have management talk to them if there is an option to move the crib to another wall of their bedroom or another bedroom if they have more than one. Be polite and tell them walls are too thin and you understand that it's not their fault, but if they could do anything to relieve the sharpness of the noise. Use earplugs at night, put a thick rug and hang thick curtains in your bedroom to absorb the noise.

with the toddler upstairs you should have no problem taking some measures. management can talk to them and believe me they would be scared to be evicted and would control their kid better. Most problems with the noise from upstairs neighbors are caused by lack of adequate carpeting and all buildings with hardwood floors would require tenants to cover certain percentage of the area. Check your lease papers it should state it there or if renting a condo ask your landlord for the copies. Even if it's a condo, the owners are still required to carpet especially after noise complaints.

Otherwise, it sounds like you may be happier back in SF, which is a great city. You are not the only one who may find apartment living stressful. Most people would prefer to not have to share walls with neighbors. Some people are better navigating in the shared housing environment and negotiating their rights, it can be stressful to complain and deal with neighbors, but it can be done. Sometimes even suburbs are not much better with overly entitled home owners who think their backyard has walls and they can choose to do whatever they want there at any hours.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:50 PM

331 posts, read 583,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
A lot of folks post on forums from work during down time or during the course of their workday. I work in a "feast or famine" environment, so it's either really busy or very slow. A majority of my posts have been made from the office. Your tax dollars hard at work!
Ya, I'm sure a lot of these posts are made by people at work. Especially during these great economic times. Losing a job over posting on CD would be no big deal to most people.....

Old 11-13-2009, 08:28 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,404,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If Manhattan had had the powerful, controlling NIMBY's San Fran-nimby had all along, there still might be any number of single family residences in Manhattan, and a population half the size.

Propose to build anything in that city without consulting each individual condo/home owner in the hills so it won't block anyone's view of the Bay? How dare they!
Lol there's still single-family houses (detached) in Manhattan however they're in Marble Hill.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:44 PM

186 posts, read 295,977 times
apartment life...lack of privacy...timing things properly...running as many errands as possible in one trip...detachment...keeping it all together (wallet, metro card, etc.)...not to mention cost of living...I'll say it's stressful. I have lived in some very stressful situations, but nothing compares to the day to day stress I feel here from the time I roll out of bed to the time I crawl back in after 12 hours of work...yah I am stressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City