U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 05:18 PM

19,136 posts, read 32,681,385 times

Advertisements

I guess this can be an off-shoot of the "are you leaving NYC, and if so, why?" thread. a lot of people on that thread shared their experiences with the city, and it seemed to me from the responses, that this city can really stress you out! so i'm just wondering what's so stressful about this place?

the floor is open for discussion....maybe we can even find some stress-relievers!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Great question, Seventh.

I have wondered the same thing many times recently with so many people talking about being so stressed out and telling others how stressful NY is. I actually thought about starting a thread with this question.

I don't think NY is stressful at all and I don't really understand what people are talking about.I get a little stressed out at work sometimes ( I teach middle school in the S Bronx) but I wouldn't call my job stressful on the whole.This same topic comes up at school a lot because a lot of people start teaching and then freak out very quickly and drop out of teaching.It's like they just can't handle anything when the kids act up.They have meltdowns.

Outside of school I would almost call my life mellow. I don't ever get too stressed out about anything.It's weird because I live in The Bronx too and most of the stressed out people that we hear from are also petrified to set foot in The Bronx because it would stress them out even more.

I think a lot of the stress that people feel and express comes from living on the edge financially.So many people seem to spend half their income and work extra jobs to live in shared and or tiny spaces either in Manhattan or whatever trendy neighborhoods there are in Brooklyn or Queens.
That would stress me out... spending too much money and living in a cramped space with roommates.

A lot of it could probably be avoided by giving up on all that and seeking out comfortable,cheap living spaces in the boroughs but they don't seem to be able to help themselves.

Maybe we should ask people to state what percentage of their net income they spend on either rent or ownership of a
co-op or condo and whether they feel low or high stress in general.My life is very low stress,despite my job and I spend about 20% of my net income on the loan and maintenance on my co-op.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-10-2009 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,732,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I guess this can be an off-shoot of the "are you leaving NYC, and if so, why?" thread. a lot of people on that thread shared their experiences with the city, and it seemed to me from the responses, that this city can really stress you out! so i'm just wondering what's so stressful about this place?

the floor is open for discussion....maybe we can even find some stress-relievers!

This place is so fast. Everything and everyone is in a hurry. You go to work and your super busy and gotta work like a slave more or less.. Then you in the streets and it isn't much better with all the traffic, noise, people blowing cigarette smoke in your face.... ugh it's horrible just typing about it alone gives me a migraine

Rush Rush Rush whereever you go and whatever you do..... One big hassle even if it's something enjoyable.. traffic, rude people, no parking messes the entire mood up

Old 11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
zdg

841 posts, read 1,655,620 times
I am a wildly stressed out person by nature and I can honestly tell you that I have never been less stressed in my entire life than the last 6 months in NYC.

I am not saying this to sound "cool" or "macho" or whatever. I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I think the pace and speed here is perfect. Absolutely perfect.

I was a lot more stressed being in slow paced Redneckia.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:30 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Shopping and driving in Manhattan can stress me out. I guess it's a volume thing in both cases.

In general I like high density and lots of activity, but I can't deal with dodging people on sidewalks (i.e. won't walk up 8th Ave north of 42nd St. at any time of day because of tourist density), can't deal with the lines in Whole Foods that snake so far into the middle of the store that you can't tell if the people by the salad bar are waiting for the tongs to pick up a few pieces of lettuce or if they are the 100th person in line waiting for the cashier.

The driving stresses me out so badly I pretty much have a rule that I won't drive into Manhattan, and I certainly won't drive into Manhattan if it involves driving down Canal St. to enter the Holland Tunnel to go to NJ! I generally find public transportation (even when crowded) much less stressful than driving.

...though I do sometimes get stressed or feel antsy when the subway platforms are too hot (like 90 or 100 degrees!)

I find the outer boroughs to be significantly less stressful than Manhattan--but again, I think this is a crowds thing, and most likely a cost thing (outer boroughs groceries are MUCH cheaper!)

Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,648,723 times
No, not particularly, but I can see how other people would be. It depends on your personality. Some people thrive on the energy, others are overwhelmed by it.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:18 PM

47 posts, read 152,759 times
I don't get it personally. NYC seems like it should be what you make of it. My girlfriend and I moved here and don't feel stressed at all because we don't run around in a hurry like some other people choose to.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 PM

10,605 posts, read 20,739,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosX View Post
I don't get it personally. NYC seems like it should be what you make of it. My girlfriend and I moved here and don't feel stressed at all because we don't run around in a hurry like some other people choose to.
I'm surprised that you don't get jostled on some Manhattan sidewalks or going down subway stairs in really crowded areas when all the faster people are trying to get by you.

But good for you that you don't get stressed!

The best advice I ever got about driving in Manhattan was to just go slower than everyone else, and that way you won't get mad when all the yellow cabs cut you off and swerve around you -- because that's actually what you'll be expecting. (But learning this trick has not increased my desire to drive there.)

Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 AM

965 posts, read 2,106,435 times
You know I find that what people consider to be stressful in NYC is quite similar in most mid size to large cities. While here in Florida people deal with the same things, traffic, rude people (and fake ones), extremely long commutes, jobs that don't pay well and barely match the cost of living. I think whats different about NYC is that as a city where most people walk its easier to feed off of stress if it comes from other people, whereas if your only problem is traffic in another city you're not face to face with your antagonist. Couple that with having the highest cost of living in a country which already is behind other post-industrial countries as far as pay vs cost of living, and the frantic fast pace market oriented society where so much is demanded from a worker whereas his/her compensation doesn't seem to match his/her work load. On second thought NYC's stress factors aren't that much different from the rest of the country's, there are just a few things that are more pronounced.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 AM

139 posts, read 495,319 times
I was trying to figure out why i'm not stressed out.It felt like i was feeling stress.So i stopped trying to figure it out.Maybe thats the secret.Avoid things that make you stressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City