Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Newyorkers knowing what you no about newyork where would u rather live??
The Bronx 10 52.63%
Brooklyn 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,492 times

Advertisements

I think that your decision should be made between Brooklyn and Queens.

I would not live in the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I agree with 45 minutes, not 30. One of the biggest draws about living in Mott Haven/Woodstock is the proximity to the city..I thoroughly enjoy the relatively quick commute. The Bronx is by far the most affordable borough, and the one with the most "upside" for the forseeable future. If you are looking for a place that is overpriced and has a great marketing campaign, you should choose Brooklyn. If you are looking for affordability/parks/upside, the Bronx is where its at.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:02 PM

91 posts, read 311,984 times
At the end of the day, you want to be close to where you work. So finding a position is the first priority and depending on where you get, that will really determine your final decision.

However, Bronx is the most affordable of all the boroughs.

Good Luck!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 17,296 times
thanks everyone I think the Bronx is my choice after hearing u guys. And I feel you about having a job. But my dumbass is 20 had a kid young and had to stop going to college. So now I'm in Arizona and struggling here. My dad asked me to go to newyork to start fresh. Any suggestions for having a job lined up before moving with no degree?? I have cooking experience and warehouse experience???

Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpnj View Post

Really ? Based on what ? What neighborhoods have you spent time in and why wouldn't you live there ?
Would you live in Riverdale ? If no,why ?
Would you live in Pelham Gardens or Indian Village ? If no,why?
How about City Island?
It would help the OP if you are able to discuss the pro's or cons of specific neighborhoods rather than make blanket statements.
Something tells me that you probably don't really know much about The Bronx.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 AM

Paperchase....on second thought I don't think anywhere in NYC would be good for you, especially not the Bronx or Brooklyn. If you are 20 years old with no degree and a kid, you will not enjoy the places you will have to live. Your best bet is to live outside of NYC, possibly Mount Vernon/Yonkers where you could afford to MAYBE have a decent apt/neighborhood and access to Metronorth to get to the city. I would recommend NOT coming to NYC.

Many people in your situation are NOT moving to NYC, but areas like Pennsylvania, Georgia, Florida, North/South Carolina, and Texas. You would be far better off in any of these areas...take it from someone who knows.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpnj View Post

Because your probably assuming the whole entire Bronx is an unattractive place to live.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 AM

236 posts, read 390,031 times
Im from the Bronx so I will always go for the hometeam!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:57 AM

283 posts, read 521,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am also biased in favor of my borough, the Bronx. However I would like to say that Bluedog you are delusional if you believe it is a 30 minute commute to midtown from Pelham Parkway. I live in Mott Haven, at the very southern portion of the Bronx, and my commute to midtown is 30 minutes. (And by midtown I am counting 59th street.)
I don't get this. I can get to work in Long Island City from Mott Haven in about 30-35 minutes (I transfer to the N at 59th so I know it can't take that long to get there).

Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 AM

I am agreeing Pookie, you can get to LIC in 35 minutes..it's only 1 or 2 stops from 59th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City